Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi 19 degree vs Rimowa Topas got carry on

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Tumi 19 degree vs Rimowa Topas got carry on

My first ever post 😊 I just came back from a trip and decided it’s time for a proper carry on. Right now I’m using a Heyes - will give that to my girlfriend (she needs one).

I’m at this phase in my life, I can finally have the nicer things. Mercedes. Rolex. Tempurpedic bed. 5 Star Hotel upgrade to suite. Etc 😊

degree aluminum. It is gorgeous I think. There is quite an attention to detail paid. For example, the handles slowly retract back to their position so it doesn’t flop/snap back noisily. The inside has some kind of coat hanger attachment. Could be handy for sure. I really like the stylish design of it. The material for the handles are leather wrapped. Cost was $1,125CAD. What other benefits does tumi have? More stores and service?

Then I went to another store to check out the Rimowa as It seems they are known to be among the best of the best out there. This one is made in Canada. It’s the carry on. First thing I notice the handles and the plastic used. The handles return to their position but very abruptly and makes a SMACK sound. The plastic used seem kind of not that special. I like the telescoping handle and this extra strap at the end for other items. $1,195cad. I think for sure the Rimowa has an iconic design. l but it’s a bit utilitarian with it’s industrial German design. I also see the luggage damage on google - it scares me. I did buy the rimowa, but I’m thinking to return it. Still not sure.

I do feel like the Tumi is more high techish.

what are your thoughts.

Any one out there with a 19 defree aluminum?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Apwy
My first ever post 😊 I just came back from a trip and decided it’s time for a proper carry on. Right now I’m using a Heyes - will give that to my girlfriend (she needs one).

I’m at this phase in my life, I can finally have the nicer things. Mercedes. Rolex. Tempurpedic bed. 5 Star Hotel upgrade to suite. Etc 😊

degree aluminum. It is gorgeous I think. There is quite an attention to detail paid. For example, the handles slowly retract back to their position so it doesn’t flop/snap back noisily. The inside has some kind of coat hanger attachment. Could be handy for sure. I really like the stylish design of it. The material for the handles are leather wrapped. Cost was $1,125CAD. What other benefits does tumi have? More stores and service?

Then I went to another store to check out the Rimowa as It seems they are known to be among the best of the best out there. This one is made in Canada. It’s the carry on. First thing I notice the handles and the plastic used. The handles return to their position but very abruptly and makes a SMACK sound. The plastic used seem kind of not that special. I like the telescoping handle and this extra strap at the end for other items. $1,195cad. I think for sure the Rimowa has an iconic design. l but it’s a bit utilitarian with it’s industrial German design. I also see the luggage damage on google - it scares me. I did buy the rimowa, but I’m thinking to return it. Still not sure.

I do feel like the Tumi is more high techish.

what are your thoughts.

Any one out there with a 19 defree aluminum?
Image our really the best you need/want?

Rolex = Rimowa
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Rimowa is more classic, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

Haven't been able to find a hands on review for the 19 Degree Aluminum on the web. Has anyone been able to see one in person, or anyone currently using one; give me some insight on the functionality and quality aspect of this case? Thanks!

Edit: I'm aware the OP gave his 2 cents on the 19, but looking for 2nd opinions.

Last edited by SQ007; Nov 15, 2017 at 8:03 pm Reason: add on
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
I’ve seen one or two in airports. Always catch my eye. I’ve also spent some time with them in a Tumi store. I’m personally torn between the two.

While I can’t comment on durability in use, based on playing with both in stores, they appear similar in quality and build. I’ve heard that people like the wheels better on Rimowa vs. Tumi. I have the simiar alpha 2 spinner, and can see the point - Tumi’s wheels could be better. Not sure it’s enouh to stead me away

That said, I actually like the look of the 19 degree more than the Rimowa. It feels more modern. And i like the little black monogram patch. It’s placed well.

its also a plus that there’s a standard US sized Tumi version, although I feel it’s much smaller than other bags that claim to be the same side (ie the Briggs 122cx).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jalm1
I’ve seen one or two in airports. Always catch my eye. I’ve also spent some time with them in a Tumi store. I’m personally torn between the two.

While I can’t comment on durability in use, based on playing with both in stores, they appear similar in quality and build. I’ve heard that people like the wheels better on Rimowa vs. Tumi. I have the simiar alpha 2 spinner, and can see the point - Tumi’s wheels could be better. Not sure it’s enouh to stead me away

That said, I actually like the look of the 19 degree more than the Rimowa. It feels more modern. And i like the little black monogram patch. It’s placed well.

its also a plus that there’s a standard US sized Tumi version, although I feel it’s much smaller than other bags that claim to be the same side (ie the Briggs 122cx).
Thanks for your input. I was hoping to hear they look good in person. In some pics they look fantastic while others they look a bit cheap. Unfortunately I'm located in an area where high end goods are hard to come across, so haven't been able to take a look myself.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:20 am

Let me preface this by saying Tumi's 2-wheel Alpha 2 is my daily driver, but if their 4-wheel Alpha 2 carry on is any indication, the wheels are simply not in the same league as Rimowa. There does not appear to be any meaningful improvement in this lineup. For this reason alone, I would never recommend a 4-wheel Tumi over a Rimowa.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Many years ago my first suitcase I got was a Tumi Alpha checked bag. When it was full it was annoying to roll anywhere and it was useless as a two-wheeler. My parents were diehard Hartman fans, but that's changed. They now only use the Tumi Alpha 2. The older wheels still suck, but recently they replaced two of the cases under warranty and the wheels have been getting better.

Personally, I have four of the Rimowa Topas IATA multiwheels (4 wheel) carryons one regular, two titanium, and one stealth finishes, one Topas cabin trolley (2 wheel), one Classic Flight multiwheel, and one Topas titanium business multiwheel. I also have four checked Topas cases and a Salsa 100L sport carrier. They are functional, can't overpack, and the wheels are amazing no matter how overweight they are. I think I did 150 lb in one to move something (not fly) and I couldn't feel it at all, all while dragging in the street. Plus I can always go to my local store and they will replace the wheels, handles, etc. all in house. It's great service. When they are bent out of shape, again a visit to the store, they will bang everything back into order. I remember I got drunk one day many years ago. I tripped over my suitcase, breaking the hinges, and basically the suitcase was no longer looking like a suitcase. The local store (in Shanghai) spent about three weeks, but they put it back together without charging me a cent and it looks like new. I gave that one to a friend.

Anyways I was taking one of my dad's Alpha 2 to get the wheel fixed, but Tumi charges $25 to send it out. Last two broken wheels they ended up just sending my parents new suitcases, so I don't know if that's good service or bad service. Anyways during this shop visit, I just bought the Tumi 19 degrees aluminum in black. I never believed I would say this, but I actually think this suitcase is in every way the same if not better than the Rimowa Topas. Like it was mentioned earlier, it has built-in suit (or whatever) hangers which unfortunately cost an extra $35 for two. In terms of packing, there are straps and also a removable semi-hard divider. The locks are also very nice. Someone tried (but failed) to pry open my Rimowa plastic locks. The Tumi locks look more robust. I also like the feel of the handles. They are leather wrapped. The wheels which was what I looked at first is actually as good as the Rimowa wheels. Very smooth to roll on a variety of surfaces and it's easy used two-wheeled. The aluminum feels sturdier than the Topas especially the hinges, but also feels a bit heavier empty. The Topas has some sharp edges sometimes like the corner caps. I would say the 19 degree build quality is top notch. The problems I have with this Tumi is the sizing is weird (it 1" shorter but 2" thicker than the IATA Rimowa), but I haven't been bothered, and I really don't know how the after-sales support will work if this thing gets dented or damaged in some way. Will they send it out for weeks? Tell me no deal? Charge a ton? All unanswered questions. The price tag literally says something like "like your passport, every ding, scratch, and dent is part of the story." The other thing is the luggage tag uses a magnetic clash instead of the click button. The wheels as I mentioned are great, but they are attached to the suitcase differently then the Rimowa ones which can be removed easily to cleaned and oiled. I fly about 150k mi a year so I will know how this turns out.

Finally I really wanted something fresh. Everybody I know and their mother has a Topas (I got my mom one, but she never used it). There are so many knock offs too. The Tumi is really a fresh look.

Last edited by alphaod; Nov 20, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Many years ago my first suitcase I got was a Tumi Alpha checked bag. When it was full it was annoying to roll anywhere and it was useless as a two-wheeler. My parents were diehard Hartman fans, but that's changed. They now only use the Tumi Alpha 2. The older wheels still suck, but recently they replaced two of the cases under warranty and the wheels have been getting better.

Personally, I have four of the Rimowa Topas IATA multiwheels (4 wheel) carryons one regular, two titanium, and one stealth finishes, one Topas cabin trolley (2 wheel), one Classic Flight multiwheel, and one Topas titanium business multiwheel. I also have four checked Topas cases and a Salsa 100L sport carrier. They are functional, can't overpack, and the wheels are amazing no matter how overweight they are. I think I did 150 lb in one to move something (not fly) and I couldn't feel it at all, all while dragging in the street. Plus I can always go to my local store and they will replace the wheels, handles, etc. all in house. It's great service. When they are bent out of shape, again a visit to the store, they will bang everything back into order. I remember I got drunk one day many years ago. I tripped over my suitcase, breaking the hinges, and basically the suitcase was no longer looking like a suitcase. The local store (in Shanghai) spent about three weeks, but they put it back together without charging me a cent and it looks like new. I gave that one to a friend.

Anyways I was taking one of my dad's Alpha 2 to get the wheel fixed, but Tumi charges $25 to send it out. Last two broken wheels they ended up just sending my parents new suitcases, so I don't know if that's good service or bad service. Anyways during this shop visit, I just bought the Tumi 19 degrees aluminum in black. I never believed I would say this, but I actually think this suitcase is in every way the same if not better than the Rimowa Topas. Like it was mentioned earlier, it has built-in suit (or whatever) hangers which unfortunately cost an extra $35 for two. In terms of packing, there are straps and also a removable semi-hard divider. The locks are also very nice. Someone tried (but failed) to pry open my Rimowa plastic locks. The Tumi locks look more robust. I also like the feel of the handles. They are leather wrapped. The wheels which was what I looked at first is actually as good as the Rimowa wheels. Very smooth to roll on a variety of surfaces and it's easy used two-wheeled. The aluminum feels sturdier than the Topas especially the hinges, but also feels a bit heavier empty. The Topas has some sharp edges sometimes like the corner caps. I would say the 19 degree build quality is top notch. The problems I have with this Tumi is the sizing is weird (it 1" shorter but 2" thicker than the IATA Rimowa), but I haven't been bothered, and I really don't know how the after-sales support will work if this thing gets dented or damaged in some way. Will they send it out for weeks? Tell me no deal? Charge a ton? All unanswered questions. The price tag literally says something like "like your passport, every ding, scratch, and dent is part of the story." The other thing is the luggage tag uses a magnetic clash instead of the click button. The wheels as I mentioned are great, but they are attached to the suitcase differently then the Rimowa ones which can be removed easily to cleaned and oiled. I fly about 150k mi a year so I will know how this turns out.

Finally I really wanted something fresh. Everybody I know and their mother has a Topas (I got my mom one, but she never used it). There are so many knock offs too. The Tumi is really a fresh look.
Thanks for this, just pulled the trigger on a 19. Was going back and forth with the Topas (which I have seen in person), tried and true, but my eyes kept going back to the 19. I'm sure Tumi's level of service won't be on par with Rimowa's, but none of that really matters since I live nowhere near a retail store. My wife uses a Flight Classic Cabin and loves it, though it's more of a style over function type deal (chose it over the Topas), and while the wheels on that case roll like butter on a hot pan, it is still a carry-on that won't see more than 30lbs of weight, which will be the same for my 19.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by SQ007
Thanks for this, just pulled the trigger on a 19. Was going back and forth with the Topas (which I have seen in person), tried and true, but my eyes kept going back to the 19. I'm sure Tumi's level of service won't be on par with Rimowa's, but none of that really matters since I live nowhere near a retail store. My wife uses a Flight Classic Cabin and loves it, though it's more of a style over function type deal (chose it over the Topas), and while the wheels on that case roll like butter on a hot pan, it is still a carry-on that won't see more than 30lbs of weight, which will be the same for my 19.
The one thing I do miss is the Rimowa "Add-a-bag" hanger. This one has a monogram patch in its place.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
The wheels which was what I looked at first is actually as good as the Rimowa wheels. Very smooth to roll on a variety of surfaces and it's easy used two-wheeled. The aluminum feels sturdier than the Topas especially the hinges, but also feels a bit heavier empty. The Topas has some sharp edges sometimes like the corner caps. I would say the 19 degree build quality is top notch. The problems I have with this Tumi is the sizing is weird (it 1" shorter but 2" thicker than the IATA Rimowa), but I haven't been bothered, and I really don't know how the after-sales support will work if this thing gets dented or damaged in some way. Will they send it out for weeks? Tell me no deal? Charge a ton? All unanswered questions. The price tag literally says something like "like your passport, every ding, scratch, and dent is part of the story." The other thing is the luggage tag uses a magnetic clash instead of the click button. The wheels as I mentioned are great, but they are attached to the suitcase differently then the Rimowa ones which can be removed easily to cleaned and oiled. I fly about 150k mi a year so I will know how this turns out.
I went to look at the 19 today and the wheels don't look any different from the Alpha 2 wheels. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:06 pm

Received my 19 in the mail today. Overall very satisfied with this purchase.
First impressions:

Build quality is on par with Rimowa.
Rimowa looks more expensive, Tumi looks more sturdy.
Tumi's aluminum is more of a buffed look rather than Rimowa's slightly chrome-ish look.
Have not seen an Alpha 2, but judging from the pictures they do seem to be the same wheels on the 19.
Sizing is a little whacky on the Tumi (international), so would not recommend to someone that likes to pack heavy with carry ons.
Lock set on the Topas is better
Huge plus on the 19 for having a built in tab for bag tags
Handles retract smooth as butter on the 19

I purchased my 19 discounted on ebay, it was a floor room model so I got a very good price on it. Would I choose the 19 over the Topas at full retail? Nope. While I do plan on buying a Topas later down the road, for now the Tumi is more than adequate.

Last edited by SQ007; Nov 26, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
I went to look at the 19 today and the wheels don't look any different from the Alpha 2 wheels. Am I missing something?
The Alpha 2 suitcases my folks have these far-spaced wheels that aren't very durable and seem to get stuck sometimes.. I guess you are right they did change the wheels on all the newer models.

Originally Posted by SQ007
Received my 19 in the mail today. Overall very satisfied with this purchase.
First impressions:

Build quality is on par with Rimowa.
Rimowa looks more expensive, Tumi looks more sturdy.
Tumi's aluminum is more of a buffed look rather than Rimowa's slightly chrome-ish look.
Have not seen an Alpha 2, but judging from the pictures they do seem to be the same wheels on the 19.
Sizing is a little whacky on the Tumi (international), so would not recommend to someone that likes to pack heavy with carry ons.
Lock set on the Topas is better
Huge plus on the 19 for having a built in tab for bag tags
Handles retract smooth as butter on the 19

I purchased my 19 discounted on ebay, it was a floor room model so I got a very good price on it. Would I choose the 19 over the Topas at full retail? Nope. While I do plan on buying a Topas later down the road, for now the Tumi is more than adequate.
I've put some miles on the 19, seems the black finish seems more durable than the Topas. Done a couple trips on the smaller jets and it fits in the overhead alright.

But it does seem to have some space compromised by the wheels a bit more on the 19. Not by much, but my dress shoes fit better in the Topas than the 19. But I do like the hanger hooks in the 19 vs the suit carrier in the Topas.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM
I have the Tumi 19 in black and it's absolutely battered. Most of the paint has been chipped and scratched in places. There are about 3-4 defects that annoy me and I'll have to take it into the store for fixing.

1. The handle goes down a little stiffer (might be due to bent case at the lower portion of the case.
2. The leather has completely stripped off the telescopic handle (not really a big deal, but a little annoying).
3. The entire case has been bent from the top and thus does not seal 100% properly.
4. One of the latches is jammed. It doesn't open just by pressing the buttons. You have to give the case a slight bump with the first to open it up.

I asked the Tumi store and they said that right now they're taking 5-6 weeks with their repairs.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Image our really the best you need/want?

Rolex = Rimowa

Loved that Rolex = Rimowa.

I have a citizen quartz instead of a Rolex. I'd rather have a watch that told the time correctly. Indeed, I'd rather have a Grand Sieko. :-)

Rimowa is style over substance. PS My bag is a Hartmann. AKA Samsonite brand (as is Tumi) and it is sturdy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.