FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi 19 degree vs Rimowa Topas got carry on
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 am
SQ007

Originally Posted by alphaod
Many years ago my first suitcase I got was a Tumi Alpha checked bag. When it was full it was annoying to roll anywhere and it was useless as a two-wheeler. My parents were diehard Hartman fans, but that's changed. They now only use the Tumi Alpha 2. The older wheels still suck, but recently they replaced two of the cases under warranty and the wheels have been getting better.

Personally, I have four of the Rimowa Topas IATA multiwheels (4 wheel) carryons one regular, two titanium, and one stealth finishes, one Topas cabin trolley (2 wheel), one Classic Flight multiwheel, and one Topas titanium business multiwheel. I also have four checked Topas cases and a Salsa 100L sport carrier. They are functional, can't overpack, and the wheels are amazing no matter how overweight they are. I think I did 150 lb in one to move something (not fly) and I couldn't feel it at all, all while dragging in the street. Plus I can always go to my local store and they will replace the wheels, handles, etc. all in house. It's great service. When they are bent out of shape, again a visit to the store, they will bang everything back into order. I remember I got drunk one day many years ago. I tripped over my suitcase, breaking the hinges, and basically the suitcase was no longer looking like a suitcase. The local store (in Shanghai) spent about three weeks, but they put it back together without charging me a cent and it looks like new. I gave that one to a friend.

Anyways I was taking one of my dad's Alpha 2 to get the wheel fixed, but Tumi charges $25 to send it out. Last two broken wheels they ended up just sending my parents new suitcases, so I don't know if that's good service or bad service. Anyways during this shop visit, I just bought the Tumi 19 degrees aluminum in black. I never believed I would say this, but I actually think this suitcase is in every way the same if not better than the Rimowa Topas. Like it was mentioned earlier, it has built-in suit (or whatever) hangers which unfortunately cost an extra $35 for two. In terms of packing, there are straps and also a removable semi-hard divider. The locks are also very nice. Someone tried (but failed) to pry open my Rimowa plastic locks. The Tumi locks look more robust. I also like the feel of the handles. They are leather wrapped. The wheels which was what I looked at first is actually as good as the Rimowa wheels. Very smooth to roll on a variety of surfaces and it's easy used two-wheeled. The aluminum feels sturdier than the Topas especially the hinges, but also feels a bit heavier empty. The Topas has some sharp edges sometimes like the corner caps. I would say the 19 degree build quality is top notch. The problems I have with this Tumi is the sizing is weird (it 1" shorter but 2" thicker than the IATA Rimowa), but I haven't been bothered, and I really don't know how the after-sales support will work if this thing gets dented or damaged in some way. Will they send it out for weeks? Tell me no deal? Charge a ton? All unanswered questions. The price tag literally says something like "like your passport, every ding, scratch, and dent is part of the story." The other thing is the luggage tag uses a magnetic clash instead of the click button. The wheels as I mentioned are great, but they are attached to the suitcase differently then the Rimowa ones which can be removed easily to cleaned and oiled. I fly about 150k mi a year so I will know how this turns out.

Finally I really wanted something fresh. Everybody I know and their mother has a Topas (I got my mom one, but she never used it). There are so many knock offs too. The Tumi is really a fresh look.
Thanks for this, just pulled the trigger on a 19. Was going back and forth with the Topas (which I have seen in person), tried and true, but my eyes kept going back to the 19. I'm sure Tumi's level of service won't be on par with Rimowa's, but none of that really matters since I live nowhere near a retail store. My wife uses a Flight Classic Cabin and loves it, though it's more of a style over function type deal (chose it over the Topas), and while the wheels on that case roll like butter on a hot pan, it is still a carry-on that won't see more than 30lbs of weight, which will be the same for my 19.