Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Razor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I use a Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving stick and a Vulfix Turnback travel brush. I have a Mühle too but I don't like it.
I just tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood soap, and it's too slippery for me and I'm not a fan of the smell. I much prefer the Proraso line.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:37 pm

I've been DE shaving (and collecting, over 230 vintage Gillettes) for a while now but just take a Sensor Excel when traveling. Like is too short to hassle with arranging blades at the destination and it makes coming home to my full kit even more enjoyable!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mark1966
I've been DE shaving (and collecting, over 230 vintage Gillettes) for a while now but just take a Sensor Excel when traveling. Like is too short to hassle with arranging blades at the destination and it makes coming home to my full kit even more enjoyable!
That's a sympathetic attitude. I actually enjoy the temporary restrictions I incur when traveling. It makes me appreciate my own bed, my own stereo, my art or my watches just the more, when I'm back home. Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

That said, I found the Schick QT so good, that I now use it all the time. It's simply the best razor I've used so far and I also started with Sensor and Sensor Excel decades ago.

Till
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
That's a sympathetic attitude. I actually enjoy the temporary restrictions I incur when traveling. It makes me appreciate my own bed, my own stereo, my art or my watches just the more, when I'm back home. Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

That said, I found the Schick QT so good, that I now use it all the time. It's simply the best razor I've used so far and I also started with Sensor and Sensor Excel decades ago.

Till
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Do it properly, get a decent old fashioned razor with just a single blade, good soap/cream and a brush - then you will truly enjoy a great shave!

Blokes are not convinced when you first tell them this but once they start and get the hang of it they rarely look back. The money you save you can use on travel goodies
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:22 am

I'm gonna try it out, I promise. But not because I need more travel goodies. I got enough of those.

I just think that the shave won't be much better. When I shave with the Schick QT (reads cutie on purpose I bet), my skin is so smooth, my girlfriends are jealous. And I don't need to shave for another 24 hours at least.

The blades cost about $2 each. I get 30 shaves from each blade. So that's 7 cents per shave. I really don't need to save more. It might even be cheaper than buying Feather blades.

BTW, I did try a really good Dovo straight razor. Ouch! Maybe it wasn't sharp enough or I wasn't good enough at it, but boy did that hurt. And the result was not good, either.

Till
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rodubls
I use a Merkur HD with feather blades. I carry-on and have never been questioned about it (knock on wood) after 20+ international roundtrips in the past year.
2 flights after this I got pulled aside, haha. Just had to take out the blade and head on my way.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Trac II with heavy handle off ebay. (no problem with carry-on)

But now I'm trying out the Sensor 2-blade since it pivots (so does the Atra)

3 blades and more just tears up my skin.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by rodubls
I use a Merkur HD with feather blades. I carry-on and have never been questioned about it (knock on wood) after 20+ international roundtrips in the past year. I always carry a backup blade in the zipper pouch of my dopp kit where band-aids and stuff are in case they ever do ask about it. That way I can just happily let them take the blade in the razor and move on. I carry it in a cheap leather case I got from classicshaving.com or a similar site.

I used to carry cheap disposables but I hated those so I thought I'd just try out carrying the HD.

Also, for good, small containered shave oils to take with you, check out Shave Secret at Wal-Mart. I hate Wal-Mart so I stock up once a year or so.
The feather blades are fantastic. I use taylor of old bond street sandalwood shaving soap at home.

On the road I use Proraso shaving soap and a brush along with gillete fushion. The Proraso soap is dry so no issue with TSA.

Question: I haven't raveled with the Old Taylor Sandalwood soap (which is more like a cream), does TSA stop anyone with this as a liquid/gel?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by envgeo
The feather blades are fantastic. I use taylor of old bond street sandalwood shaving soap at home.

On the road I use Proraso shaving soap and a brush along with gillete fushion. The Proraso soap is dry so no issue with TSA.

Question: I haven't raveled with the Old Taylor Sandalwood soap (which is more like a cream), does TSA stop anyone with this as a liquid/gel?
That's interesting. I have a Old Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood shaving soap and it looks dry to me. Does yours come in a plastic container? I just add water to form a lather.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
That's interesting. I have a Old Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood shaving soap and it looks dry to me. Does yours come in a plastic container? I just add water to form a lather.
That is because I have the cream. (that just sounds weird). I have the saving cream version, and yes it is in a plastic tub/container.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bon...8836331&sr=8-1

Last edited by envgeo; Jun 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:27 pm

That is because I have the cream. (that just sounds weird). I have the saving cream version, and yes it is in a plastic tub/container.

Yes, that sounds weird.

And yes, that's the same one I have. It's fairly dry. You still have to add water to lather it up, but I'll go check when I get home to make sure it says "CREAM," but the tub looks exactly the same.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yes, that sounds weird.

And yes, that's the same one I have. It's fairly dry. You still have to add water to lather it up, but I'll go check when I get home to make sure it says "CREAM," but the tub looks exactly the same.
Those are two separate products:
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by tfar

The blades cost about $2 each. I get 30 shaves from each blade.

Till

My blades cost about $0.10 each, so one more reason to switch over to double edge shaving! Granted, a DE blade will not last for 30 shaves, but overall you will still be saving money.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:41 pm

Okay. I just got home and looked at my "cream," and yes, it does say "CREAM." It looks exactly like what you've linked. I do have to add water to lather it up. It's not bar soap.

Also, I've traveled with it a lot (even internationally) and not TSA nor any foreign security has ever stopped me, but they're not known for being consistent.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:38 pm

Thanks! I love the sandalwood shaving cream and just ordered the shaving soap. I will let you know how it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.