Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Razor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tfar
A good squirt of after shave on the blade helps in that regard.
I doubt that my after shave balm will help in that regard.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
InAsia I use temporary razors that I get free from hotels. My favorite are ones that have a built-in canister of shaving cream in the razor itself. Very convenient.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
tfar: I get about 4 or 5 shaves before I notice a big difference in the quality of the shave; based on my shaving habits, I change them out about once a week, maybe every two weeks. I have a pretty heavy beard and do 3-4 passes when I shave. If you shave every single day, you might go through them much quicker.

The HD weighs...maybe 3-4 ounces. Being actual steel makes it pretty hefty compared to the plastic Mach whatevers, but not uncomfortable or anything like that.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
I suppose any cheap alcohol would do? Just thinking of how much my aftershave costs.
Originally Posted by TWA884
I doubt that my after shave balm will help in that regard.
Indeed any alcohol will do (should probably be around 50% vol.) but normally, when you shave, you have after shave or cologne close. Of course, at home, just use rubbing alcohol or whatever else is cheap.

I also use a balm as after shave because it is nicer on the skin. Mine is unscented (Nivea Sensitive). Then I use a cologne for the fragrance.

Although, especially for traveling, it is quite nice to just use a fragrant balm. One less thing to carry and the smell won't be so strong which is nice for people who may be sitting very close to you in the plane and are perhaps sensitive to strong colognes.

rodubls, thanks for the info. That's quite good for one blade and doing 3-4 passes. I didn't think one could get such good mileage out of the Feather blades. I shall try that. Have never shaved with that type of razor before. Could be an interesting experiment. I'll be careful.

As far as protection of the razor blade is going for ordinary safety blades like Gillette and Schick, there is usually a little slide-over cover that slides directly onto the blade. Minimal bulk and weight and it works well. I don't see any reason to go for anything bigger and heavier.

Till
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I always travel with a 4 cartridge pack for a Mach 3 or 4 and when I finish shaving the cartridge goes right back in the plastic holder. It works great and they have never popped out of the holder during travel.
This is what I do as well. The cartridge holder is located under the handle holder which makes it even easier.

One cartridge lasts me about a week before I notice the shave getting worse.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As far as protection of the razor blade is going for ordinary safety blades like Gillette and Schick, there is usually a little slide-over cover that slides directly onto the blade. Minimal bulk and weight and it works well. I don't see any reason to go for anything bigger and heavier.
+1

I've tried a few variations but always come back to this as the simplest and lightest way to travel with a razor.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
This is what I do as well. The cartridge holder is located under the handle holder which makes it even easier.

One cartridge lasts me about a week before I notice the shave getting worse.
What good does the handle holder do when traveling? It is a display device for use on a supermarket shelf. When you travel you most likely pack the thing in a bag. Then the handle holder will slide around while holding the handle. Great! It is just one more thing to take up space and cost weight and clutter the sink or bag. If you are afraid the transport will break off the cartridge, take it off before you put the razor in the bag. Problem solved.

If one is a neat-freak a kit with compartments and elastic loops will help keep stuff organized. Me, I just use little ziploc baggies for air travel. The nice kit I break out only for car travel or when I want to impress someone (female) who shares a bathroom.

Till
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 pm

I suppose that I could leave the handle holder at home, but I am not an ultralight traveler who is trying to save grams, and my dopp bag is big enough to hold everything I need comfortably.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I suppose that I could leave the handle holder at home, but I am not an ultralight traveler who is trying to save grams, and my dopp bag is big enough to hold everything I need comfortably.
Cool. Alright then. Just didn't want to let it slide and have the gram savers think they could get away with something as egregious as taking handle holder.

Cheers and safe travels,

Till
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:50 am
Suspended

FWIW, I've been using a Schick Hydro5, the palmolive shaveing sticks and an Edwin Jagger travel brush. Works fine for my medium beard. The Hydro5 came with a travel case that fits over the whole head.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I always travel with a 4 cartridge pack for a Mach 3 or 4 and when I finish shaving the cartridge goes right back in the plastic holder. It works great and they have never popped out of the holder during travel.
Same here. A 4- or 5-pack encased in its plastic shell has served me well. When I get down to the next-to-last one, I throw in a spare to refill my dopp kit.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
FWIW, I've been using a Schick Hydro5, the palmolive shaveing sticks and an Edwin Jagger travel brush. Works fine for my medium beard. The Hydro5 came with a travel case that fits over the whole head.
How does the Hydro5 work for you? I read some reviews on Amazon. One of them said that one must let the moisturizing cartridge dry before packing it or else it gets all gooey and unusable. (For those who don't know, the Hydro 5 has a lubricating/moisturizing gel pack attached behind the blade).

That doesn't sound like it's good for travel when often you need to shave in the morning and then pack and leave immediately.

Till
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:41 pm
Suspended

How does the Hydro5 work for you? I read some reviews on Amazon. One of them said that one must let the moisturizing cartridge dry before packing it or else it gets all gooey and unusable. (For those who don't know, the Hydro 5 has a lubricating/moisturizing gel pack attached behind the blade).

That doesn't sound like it's good for travel when often you need to shave in the morning and then pack and leave immediately.

Till
Prior to putting it in the case, I tap mine off on the side of the sink and run a piece of Kleenex along the lube strip and it does OK.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:25 pm

OK. That sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Till
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I use a Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving stick and a Vulfix Turnback travel brush. I have a Mühle too but I don't like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.