Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Razor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I use a Fusion Power at home and on the road. i just take the batteries out of the travel one so that it's not accidentally activated. I buy bulk packs of cartridges on e-bay so travel with a 4-pack until all 4 are used up and I put in a new 4-pack. bigger pain for me is finding travel-size Edge gel or Gilette gel.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I use Gillette Fusion (and don't buy into their battery selling scheme) and they last me forever, despite having a thick beard. I do nothing special to preserve them and they still seem to last 20-30 shaves.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:10 am
Original Poster

The suggestions have been great.

I also picked up Coghlan's Razor Covers from REI last week. The holder fits the cartage of a Schick hydro 5 very well. (http://www.rei.com/product/745497/coghlans-razor-covers)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by N1120A
I use Gillette Fusion (and don't buy into their battery selling scheme) and they last me forever, despite having a thick beard. I do nothing special to preserve them and they still seem to last 20-30 shaves.
Can it really last that long? Mr. Nacho is using Schick quattro titanium and for him each blade lasts 2 shaves.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by nacho
Can it really last that long? Mr. Nacho is using Schick quattro titanium and for him each blade lasts 2 shaves.
It's all so dependent on your skin sensitivity, hair type, hair shape, and so on. I have extremely curly hair, very sensitive skin, and thick bristles. I get about 10-15 days out of a Fusion before the razor burn increases, so I replace them.

I just switched razors to the Dollar Shave Club razors. I've been using them for three days and love them.

I used to be a shave oil guy when traveling, but CVS stopped carrying KoS products. I'll give this stuff a shot.

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I also use the Edwin Jagger DE razor. For long family vacations, I usually ask family members who always check-in to bring me some razors. For longer trips without said family members, I usually go to a local store and find razors.

I have an upcoming 5-day business trip and I was just thinking about how to solve this problem. I don't want to buy a pack of 5 razors, when I only need one.

I've never had an issue bringing my DE blades through screening.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by jakuda
I've never had an issue bringing my DE blades through screening.
I have... multiple times.

I understand though because it is a blade.

How many times have you brought the blade in your carry-on?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
I use a Merkur HD with feather blades. I carry-on and have never been questioned about it (knock on wood) after 20+ international roundtrips in the past year. I always carry a backup blade in the zipper pouch of my dopp kit where band-aids and stuff are in case they ever do ask about it. That way I can just happily let them take the blade in the razor and move on. I carry it in a cheap leather case I got from classicshaving.com or a similar site.

I used to carry cheap disposables but I hated those so I thought I'd just try out carrying the HD.

Also, for good, small containered shave oils to take with you, check out Shave Secret at Wal-Mart. I hate Wal-Mart so I stock up once a year or so.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:21 pm

Always look for compact and light weight shavers that can be packed into the kit easily. I mostly use Best Men Travel razor. It has different qualities ranging from $30 to $70 and simple to use and clean.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Both figures (Schick QT lasting for only 2 shaves and G. Fusion lasting for 20-30 shaves) seem to be VERY extreme to me and rather the opposite of what I am experiencing. I get way better mileage (factor 2x or 3x) out of Schick Quattro Titanium. It will easily last me 20-30, whereas a Fusion will only go 7-10 shaves.

Side question: How many shaves do you get out of a Feather blade in the Merkur, rodubls? Also, how much does the Merkur weigh?

Till
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Last year Schick were selling Hydro 5's with a free "travel case" like this.

Picked up 2 at on clearance at Target for about $5 each (including the razor and 2 blades each), but I'm not sure that they are still available anywhere.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:13 pm

I recently saw the new TV ad for the Gillette Pro-Glide razor that is supposed to be good for 5 weeks---perfect they say for travelers. I bought it and am now on my second week. Thus far, it delivers the closest shave I have ever had. Time will tell if it will truly last 5 weeks as advertised.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by John Isaac
I recently saw the new TV ad for the Gillette Pro-Glide razor that is supposed to be good for 5 weeks...
The fine print in the Gillette ad says "*based on the number of days used per cartridge."

Personally, I get about 15 comfortable shaves per cartridge before the onset of razor burn.

That being said, it's the best razor I have ever used.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
The fine print in the Gillette ad says "*based on the number of days used per cartridge."

Personally, I get about 15 comfortable shaves per cartridge before the onset of razor burn.

That being said, it's the best razor I have ever used.
That's interesting. Gillette is playing catch-up with Schick. Try the Quattro Titanium. I am almost certain you will get more shaves without razor burn.

BTW, keeping the blade clean and dry is also really important but I don't need to really say that. A good squirt of after shave on the blade helps in that regard.

Till
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by tfar
A good squirt of after shave on the blade helps in that regard.
I suppose any cheap alcohol would do? Just thinking of how much my aftershave costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.