Travel Razor?

Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Travel Razor?

What do you use for a razor when traveling? I've away from home at least three (3) nights a week (many times moving between places). I've never found a way to repack and use a disposable or a non-disposable cartridge so go through a ton of these. Is there a better way?

The cheap disposables always leave me cut up. I'd rather not use them.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I always travel with a 4 cartridge pack for a Mach 3 or 4 and when I finish shaving the cartridge goes right back in the plastic holder. It works great and they have never popped out of the holder during travel.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis First
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I always travel with a 4 cartridge pack for a Mach 3 or 4 and when I finish shaving the cartridge goes right back in the plastic holder. It works great and they have never popped out of the holder during travel.
Ditto. Do it every week.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by soshot
What do you use for a razor when traveling? I've away from home at least three (3) nights a week (many times moving between places). I've never found a way to repack and use a disposable or a non-disposable cartridge so go through a ton of these. Is there a better way?

The cheap disposables always leave me cut up. I'd rather not use them.
I also travel with a Mach 3 razor, but why the concern over multiple cartridges? I get a good week out of one of their outrageously expensive cartridges. Surely you don't dispose of these after two or three shaves?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Biblioman1
I also travel with a Mach 3 razor, but why the concern over multiple cartridges? I get a good week out of one of their outrageously expensive cartridges. Surely you don't dispose of these after two or three shaves?
Actually, I've been pitching them after one use. At home, I easily get a week or more. They just don't seem reusable after putting them back in my razors travel case wet.

Putting them back in the original cartridge holder is a great idea.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have a Mach 3 Turbo razor also ( cartridge refills are now 15 for 8 but I get at least a week out of them ( more if i do not shave at the weekends!)

When travelling I take a spare one for the fortnight and put them in the original holder before putting them in my toiletry bag.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I use my regular razor. Leave it out till dry, as you'd at home, and pack in something like a zip bag.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:24 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've been using the the cryogentically tempered razors from greatrazors.com. Specifically I use their modified Sensor Excels, and while their technology sounds questionable to some people, I am absolutely convinced the blades last up 2 to 3 times longer (I get about 20+ shaves out of one; and I have pretty tough growth).

Been a customer of their's for at least six years. Regularly I try other store bought blades (Sensor Excels and Mach 3's), and my results are consistently re-confirmed.

Of course, YMMV.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...-Frozen-Blades
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Whether I'm at home or traveling, I shave in the shower. As soon as I am through with the razor, I make sure to place it outside the shower area (top of the toilet tank is usually close by). Two more things will help. If a blow dryer is available, run it across the blades for 30 seconds or so. Then I put the razor in my travel bag near one of those silica gel packs which attract moisture.

I can get at least a week out of most good disposable razors taking those precautions.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been so lucky (compared to people in previous threads here) as I get a couple of months usually out of a cartridge in my Fusion. I rinse it off, let it dry if there's time, and will usually wrap it in a piece of paper so the blades don't get bent when I toss it in with all the other stuff. In the travel bag, I've changed the blade way more often because they were damaged in the bag than because they were no longer doing their job, so now I try to protect them a bit.

If you google

travel razor holders

you will find options for plastic covers to protect the blades.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
dbl posted//
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
At home I use an Edwin Jagger double-edge. Better shave, and the best DE blades are much, much less expensive. But DE blades are an issue in TSA screening, so I use a Fusion when flying. It is always packed in my carry-on with a full or not 4-pk of the blades.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by AATrout
At home I use an Edwin Jagger double-edge. Better shave, and the best DE blades are much, much less expensive. But DE blades are an issue in TSA screening, so I use a Fusion when flying. It is always packed in my carry-on with a full or not 4-pk of the blades.
I also use the Edwin Jagger DE razor. For long family vacations, I usually ask family members who always check-in to bring me some razors. For longer trips without said family members, I usually go to a local store and find razors.

I have an upcoming 5-day business trip and I was just thinking about how to solve this problem. I don't want to buy a pack of 5 razors, when I only need one.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Post yourself a letter to the hotel with a blade taped to a piece of card inside.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
Post yourself a letter to the hotel with a blade taped to a piece of card inside.
Hmm... That's a good idea. Does this really work? I'll give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.