Community
Wiki Posts
Search

damage to Rimowa luggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

damage to Rimowa luggage

Bought two of an early model Rimowa polycarbonate suitcase after a sales pitch which stated that this suitcase is basically indestructible and should last at least 10 years. After four years and roughly 10 usages, on our last flight a crack developed at one of the corners going right through the plastic.

We havent called Rimowa yet but Im wondering what your experiences have been with customer service and whether you think these things are really worth the price since obviously they are not indestructible, and ours have already developed numerous creases and a deep scratches with only the above-mentioned minimal use, in addition to the above-mentioned crack.

It may be a better deal to go back to my previous disposable luggage purchased at discount stores.

Have you also experienced breakage of Rimowa luggage? It seems most of the damage is at the corners and the newer luggage has reinforcements there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
we have Rimowa trunks and clam cases for over 5 years now. Many miles on all of them and have seen scuffs, dings and pressure marks from stacking but never have heard or seen a crack.
We did lose a wheel cap once in NY and the Luggage store arranged for a replacement to be sent to out home. After a week we recieved the whole wheel assembly .
I would contact them.
And chastise the airline that did this !!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:00 pm

The fact is that it does happen.

Cases being dropped off the conveyor to the cargo hold, rough treatment by baggage handlers, etc. I concur with the comment above, but in reverse.

1. Notify the air carrier you were ticketed on when you noticed the damage. That company handled your case, assuming we are speaking of checked bags, and are the responsible party to first deal with. Document your claim with photos and keep it factual, and civil for best results.

2. The early model polycarbonate Rimowa cases were first heralded in the mid-1990's and I was one of the first purchasers in Germany. Ours, a Blue XXL lasted exactly two flights: Leaving Germany and arriving back enroute to Neuchatel. Lufthansa Frankfurt compensated us for the full amount, without question, as it was an LH model and I carried the receipt.

It is not clear if your damaged case remains under the 5 year warranty or not, as you mention an early model polycarbonate case. The corner cracking on the rounded radius is happening to the Salsa models, but you do have a solution here too.

The Rimowa repair shops can install corner metal protective "caps " which would cover the crack. If that works for you, I would contact Rimowa and speak with them about what options they can provide you.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ricski64
we have Rimowa trunks and clam cases for over 5 years now. Many miles on all of them and have seen scuffs, dings and pressure marks from stacking but never have heard or seen a crack.
We did lose a wheel cap once in NY and the Luggage store arranged for a replacement to be sent to out home. After a week we recieved the whole wheel assembly .
I would contact them.
And chastise the airline that did this !!
Cracking of polycarbonite cases is actually fairly common.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we have a crack. I really think the suitcase was dropped from a considerable height, landing on this corner.

Anyway, Rimowa will be giving us a new suitcase- quality company!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ente_09
Yes, we have a crack. I really think the suitcase was dropped from a considerable height, landing on this corner.

its great that you will get a new one! Have seen it quite often that people run around with rimowa luggages broken on a corner. the thing with Polycarbonate is that while being very resistant to impacts, it does not have a high elongation at break. meaning if the elongation of the part gets too high under an impact, it will crack.
OH and by the way: The way some guys handle the luggage, there is no way anyone could make one that never fails, unless they double the weight.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ente_09

Hi ente_09,

Would you mind sharing with me the process you followed to get your bag replaced? BA just cracked a corner on my Salsa 29in - it is about 18 months old. Not looking good for BA to replace - they certainly so not make it easy. Unfortunately no receipt but did buy it at a regulated store in Germany.

Thank you,
Troy
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:33 am

My experience with Paris repair shop Malles Bertault was horrible. They give me zero solution. Not even install protective caps.

Im still waiting a response from Rimowa to see if they will honor their product or not.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Has no one else reached the conclusion that these cases are just nice to look at and show off, but not so much worth the money?

I've used my Muji luggage for close to 6 years of frequent travel and the only thing that's happened is worn wheels which I'm planning to get replaced.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by roverkt
Has no one else reached the conclusion that these cases are just nice to look at and show off, but not so much worth the money?

I've used my Muji luggage for close to 6 years of frequent travel and the only thing that's happened is worn wheels which I'm planning to get replaced.
Given how many folks I see walking around airports with non-Rimowa luggage, I'd say lots of people feel that way. However, as somebody who purchased a Rimowa case, I didn't do so with the hope that it would be indestructible--only that it would be of high quality and that the company would stand behind it should something happen.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by troyb
Hi ente_09,

Would you mind sharing with me the process you followed to get your bag replaced? BA just cracked a corner on my Salsa 29in - it is about 18 months old. Not looking good for BA to replace - they certainly so not make it easy. Unfortunately no receipt but did buy it at a regulated store in Germany.

Thank you,
Troy
Hi Troyb -

A suggested claim documentation process:

1. Take digital photos of your case, the ID Nr. stamped on the case, and a few photos of the damaged area. You may have to use the Micro and Flash settings to evidence clear details with close-up photos.

2. File a claim for damages with BA, using your flight ticketing information. Be civil and polite, but persistent and stick to the facts. If the damage to your case happened as a checked luggage item, leave it at that, as your " luggage was in the care, custody, and control of BA, at the time the damage occurred. "

I would send them a copy of your photos, and the cost estimate for a replacement case.

Send a repeat 2nd, or 3rd request again if you do not hear any response every 30 days. I would not accept any low-ball, or take it or leave it offer, as despite whatever BA states the BA damage policy limits are, other airlines such as LH have a documented policy or replacing damaged luggage for the full price in similar situations, when said luggage was under LH care, custody, and control.

If an offer is made to repair your case, ensure that it is with an authorized Rimowa repair service only. Allowing your nice Rimowa case to be " repaired " by Larry, Moe, and Curly's Cut-Rate Repairs would most likely invalidate your remaining warranty. Not a happy prospect.

3. Send a separate copy of your damage report and photos to Rimowa, in Germany. Advise them that you have also filed a damage claim with BA. If Rimowa requests information regarding your experience with BA in your claim, I would send them whatever you have.

As you know, your case ID Nr. will determine where and when the case was sold. Rimowa can verify that information for you in Germany, but I would contact the regulated store you made your purchase in and request a receipt copy.

Such claims take time and obviously can try one's patience. Just stick with it as you paid good money for your luggage, and your flight.

I hope this is helpful. Keep us posted here at FT on your experience and the outcome and resolution of your claim.

Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:40 pm

I purchased a Rimowa Stealth 26" one year ago as my Tumi(s) (20" & 22") were too small for longer international trips.

I understood the suitcase would dent and scratch and look tattered after several uses. It has, but that doesn't bother me. It has been broken on 4 separate occasions - broken wheel, busted wheel bracket, broken handle and shattered lock. Each time it was sent to the service center and returned, fixed in 2-6 weeks. But I have lost all trust that the suitcase can handle a 2-3 week international trip with multiple check-ins.

I have been flying for 10 years, 150-200 days a year and never had a problem with the Tumis…I'm going back as the Rimowa experience has left me with too much anxiety that my contents may not make it back safely.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Paul Fialkowski
I purchased a Rimowa Stealth 26" one year ago as my Tumi(s) (20" & 22") were too small for longer international trips.

I understood the suitcase would dent and scratch and look tattered after several uses. It has, but that doesn't bother me. It has been broken on 4 separate occasions - broken wheel, busted wheel bracket, broken handle and shattered lock. Each time it was sent to the service center and returned, fixed in 2-6 weeks. But I have lost all trust that the suitcase can handle a 2-3 week international trip with multiple check-ins.

I have been flying for 10 years, 150-200 days a year and never had a problem with the TumisI'm going back as the Rimowa experience has left me with too much anxiety that my contents may not make it back safely.
Its funny, I did two longer trips over two and five months and about 10 roundtrips with my 4 yo 70l Rimowa Topas, and I never had any problems.
Only 3 rivets went missing, but they got replaced within 4 days at the Rimowa Store in Honolulu. But as checked luggage I would only use the two wheel version, as the four wheel versions seem to break a lot... Sadly, it looks like they aren't producing the two wheeled versions of the bigger cases anymore...
But as on-board luggage I would never buy the 2 wheeled version again.

Generally I would not send my Rimowa in for repairs, but rater take them to a "service point", as it seems like they can take care of such matters much faster.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Hi Troyb -

A suggested claim documentation process:

1. Take digital photos of your case, the ID Nr. stamped on the case, and a few photos of the damaged area. You may have to use the Micro and Flash settings to evidence clear details with close-up photos.

2. File a claim for damages with BA, using your flight ticketing information. Be civil and polite, but persistent and stick to the facts. If the damage to your case happened as a checked luggage item, leave it at that, as your " luggage was in the care, custody, and control of BA, at the time the damage occurred. "

I would send them a copy of your photos, and the cost estimate for a replacement case.

Send a repeat 2nd, or 3rd request again if you do not hear any response every 30 days. I would not accept any low-ball, or take it or leave it offer, as despite whatever BA states the BA damage policy limits are, other airlines such as LH have a documented policy or replacing damaged luggage for the full price in similar situations, when said luggage was under LH care, custody, and control.

If an offer is made to repair your case, ensure that it is with an authorized Rimowa repair service only. Allowing your nice Rimowa case to be " repaired " by Larry, Moe, and Curly's Cut-Rate Repairs would most likely invalidate your remaining warranty. Not a happy prospect.

3. Send a separate copy of your damage report and photos to Rimowa, in Germany. Advise them that you have also filed a damage claim with BA. If Rimowa requests information regarding your experience with BA in your claim, I would send them whatever you have.

As you know, your case ID Nr. will determine where and when the case was sold. Rimowa can verify that information for you in Germany, but I would contact the regulated store you made your purchase in and request a receipt copy.

Such claims take time and obviously can try one's patience. Just stick with it as you paid good money for your luggage, and your flight.

I hope this is helpful. Keep us posted here at FT on your experience and the outcome and resolution of your claim.

Cheers
Hi,

This problem actually occurred back in March and believe it or not, after a few days of trying to get in touch with the right people at BA, they did replace it. Not only that, but they made it pretty easy. I was of course away from home and needed a bag immediately - they authorized me to spend whatever was necessary to buy a comparable bag, then email pictures of the receipts and my US bank info. They electronically deposited the money within a week of me sending the receipts. All in all, I was happy.

However....I happened on this thread for a separate reason. I now also happen to have a 29 in Limbo. I feel like every time I travel with it the metal frame of the bag gets completely misaligned, dented, etc. I brought it back to be repaired once but this is getting old. At this point, there are gaps when I close it so if it rained, everything would get wet. Why does this keep happening and is there anything I can do to minimize it in the future? I was thinking I pack my bag too full but could that really be it?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:02 am

So very glad to hear that your experience with BA turned out well for you.

Judging by the posts on FT this year, the Rimowa Limbo line seems a popular purchase choice for many of the FT members from North America. Some wrote that they made Limbo purchases online from German vendors, or that they bought a Limbo case whilst visiting Germany.

Personally, I found the Limbo to be a good looking model but heavy, so I have never owned one. I tend to use my own bags from other Rimowa accessory stock ( garment back, suit carrier, shirt bags ) so I would have no use for the Limbo bags that come with the model.

Like Edoa above, I have experienced no problems with our Rimowa Topas, Porsche, or Salsa cases. We are travelling now in California, and will head to Brasil shortly before returning back home. Aside from one rubber mark on one of our checked cases, there were no problems flying into LAX.

It is up to you of course, but a constant misalignment of a new 29 Limbo case might indicated it is time to speak to Rimowa about a replacement or possible a trade to another model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.