FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - damage to Rimowa luggage
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:47 am
troyb

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Hi Troyb -

A suggested claim documentation process:

1. Take digital photos of your case, the ID Nr. stamped on the case, and a few photos of the damaged area. You may have to use the Micro and Flash settings to evidence clear details with close-up photos.

2. File a claim for damages with BA, using your flight ticketing information. Be civil and polite, but persistent and stick to the facts. If the damage to your case happened as a checked luggage item, leave it at that, as your " luggage was in the care, custody, and control of BA, at the time the damage occurred. "

I would send them a copy of your photos, and the cost estimate for a replacement case.

Send a repeat 2nd, or 3rd request again if you do not hear any response every 30 days. I would not accept any low-ball, or take it or leave it offer, as despite whatever BA states the BA damage policy limits are, other airlines such as LH have a documented policy or replacing damaged luggage for the full price in similar situations, when said luggage was under LH care, custody, and control.

If an offer is made to repair your case, ensure that it is with an authorized Rimowa repair service only. Allowing your nice Rimowa case to be " repaired " by Larry, Moe, and Curly's Cut-Rate Repairs would most likely invalidate your remaining warranty. Not a happy prospect.

3. Send a separate copy of your damage report and photos to Rimowa, in Germany. Advise them that you have also filed a damage claim with BA. If Rimowa requests information regarding your experience with BA in your claim, I would send them whatever you have.

As you know, your case ID Nr. will determine where and when the case was sold. Rimowa can verify that information for you in Germany, but I would contact the regulated store you made your purchase in and request a receipt copy.

Such claims take time and obviously can try one's patience. Just stick with it as you paid good money for your luggage, and your flight.

I hope this is helpful. Keep us posted here at FT on your experience and the outcome and resolution of your claim.

Cheers
Hi,

This problem actually occurred back in March and believe it or not, after a few days of trying to get in touch with the right people at BA, they did replace it. Not only that, but they made it pretty easy. I was of course away from home and needed a bag immediately - they authorized me to spend whatever was necessary to buy a comparable bag, then email pictures of the receipts and my US bank info. They electronically deposited the money within a week of me sending the receipts. All in all, I was happy.

However....I happened on this thread for a separate reason. I now also happen to have a 29 in Limbo. I feel like every time I travel with it the metal frame of the bag gets completely misaligned, dented, etc. I brought it back to be repaired once but this is getting old. At this point, there are gaps when I close it so if it rained, everything would get wet. Why does this keep happening and is there anything I can do to minimize it in the future? I was thinking I pack my bag too full but could that really be it?