FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - damage to Rimowa luggage
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:39 am
edoa

Originally Posted by Paul Fialkowski
I purchased a Rimowa Stealth 26" one year ago as my Tumi(s) (20" & 22") were too small for longer international trips.

I understood the suitcase would dent and scratch and look tattered after several uses. It has, but that doesn't bother me. It has been broken on 4 separate occasions - broken wheel, busted wheel bracket, broken handle and shattered lock. Each time it was sent to the service center and returned, fixed in 2-6 weeks. But I have lost all trust that the suitcase can handle a 2-3 week international trip with multiple check-ins.

I have been flying for 10 years, 150-200 days a year and never had a problem with the Tumis…I'm going back as the Rimowa experience has left me with too much anxiety that my contents may not make it back safely.
Its funny, I did two longer trips over two and five months and about 10 roundtrips with my 4 yo 70l Rimowa Topas, and I never had any problems.
Only 3 rivets went missing, but they got replaced within 4 days at the Rimowa Store in Honolulu. But as checked luggage I would only use the two wheel version, as the four wheel versions seem to break a lot... Sadly, it looks like they aren't producing the two wheeled versions of the bigger cases anymore...
But as on-board luggage I would never buy the 2 wheeled version again.

Generally I would not send my Rimowa in for repairs, but rater take them to a "service point", as it seems like they can take care of such matters much faster.