Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by donho00
I have an ongoing problem right now with Tumi

I was traveling a lot and all my generic suitcases/luggage was falling apart after so many trips. I was sick of buying $100-$200 cases that didn't last.

My brother in law tells me that he only buys Tumi, they have a lifetime warranty.
I looked at them bags and found a large wheeled duffle I loved. It fit anything and because it was a duffle, you can really stuff it.
So I picked it up, I think it was 650-700 bucks. But considering the lifetime warranty, I assumed it was well worth it.

So I start using it a lot. It was durable, the ballistic cloth was scratch and seemed tear proof. I had that bag packed on many trips. up to almost 70lbs on many trips

The bag started to feel more flimsy. I realize its a duffle, but a hard bottomed duffle. It felt like a lot of flex. But no worries, I kept using it. I just went and came back from Asian and when I arrived there, the bag had a split corner seam. NOT a tear, it split the stictched seams on the bottom corner. It was not ripped or torn, but the bag was coming apart. I came home and it seemed to be the same.

I called Tumi and assumed an easy process. Considering the company HQ is a few miles from where I live!
They tell me to send it in. To GA!!?? I said the HQ is right here. They tell me they do not handle repairs. I ask her HOW DO I send this massive bag? it is NOT collapsible. It would need a huge box. The lady tells me to bring it to fed ex or UPS and they can pack it and ship it. I said do you have an account? They said NO, you pay the costs???
I tell her it would be over 100 bucks to ship it, she says I can bring it to the local Tumi Retailer and they can send it in for a flat 25.00 fee.
Fine, I bring it to Tumi in Short Hills and they charge me 25 bucks and off it goes. They tell me 4 weeks, so they offer me a loaner. I mention that besides the split seam, the bag feels flimsy. They tell me they will call me.

Less then two weeks and it is today. I get a call from Tumi in Ga. The lady says the seam can be repaired. But the frame is broken and is NOT repairable. I am thinking, a new replacement bag. BUT NO. She tells me it is not covered since it is airline damge? I ask her how is it damage, it was not cut or torn, the seam popped the stiches.
She said they cannot fix it, and they will not replace it. But I can buy a new Tumi bag at a discount???? Now they make this bag for travel, most likely on a plane. But the warranty doesn't cover any repairs due to airline use after one year???? How is that? ..., does this warranty cover. She said defects in manufacturing???

I argued and she said she would ask the repair guy if they can fix it. and call me back. NO WAY am I buying another Tumi bag at whatever discount. Especially since I know the warranty is garbage.
She claims they can fix the seam. I might just have them do that and take the bag back. Flimsy as it may be, at least it is usable! I plan to talk to a supervior when she gets back to me. But I am assuming she will not honor anything, so what do you guys suggest??
I don't mind paying more, if it is durable and has a quality warranty. I need a large bag, can be a large puller or a large duffle(wheeled) No hardshells.

thanks for letting me rant
You bring up a very good point. Most people don't realize how important a frame is to a bag. When a frame is broken or bent, you can't (or can with huge labor cost) fix it. You have a get a new frame and resew the whole fabric on it. In other words, you are better of getting a new bag.

Tumi bags are a bit more thought through in the process than some of the Seattle made cloth bags that simply has two pieces of fabric and bunch of Chinese made (and Japanese designed) YKK zippers. The Tumi stuff has an outer fabric, frame, inner foam and inner fabric all sewn into a single piece and then additional pockets and zippers all over the place. Read: Cheaper labor cost from foreign countries help in that regard.

I recently got a hand-me-down Briggs bag with a crushed frame. Sent it in to its repair center and at my own cost and got it back a month later with a new frame. They told me they restitched about half of the bag. It was a long wait but at least it was fixed.

IMHO. Tumi should just give you a new bag.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Mellonc
You bring up a very good point. Most people don't realize how important a frame is to a bag. When a frame is broken or bent, you can't (or can with huge labor cost) fix it. You have a get a new frame and resew the whole fabric on it. In other words, you are better of getting a new bag.

Tumi bags are a bit more thought through in the process than some of the Seattle made cloth bags that simply has two pieces of fabric and bunch of Chinese made (and Japanese designed) YKK zippers. The Tumi stuff has an outer fabric, frame, inner foam and inner fabric all sewn into a single piece and then additional pockets and zippers all over the place. Read: Cheaper labor cost from foreign countries help in that regard.

I recently got a hand-me-down Briggs bag with a crushed frame. Sent it in to its repair center and at my own cost and got it back a month later with a new frame. They told me they restitched about half of the bag. It was a long wait but at least it was fixed.

IMHO. Tumi should just give you a new bag.
The lady claimed she was going to talk to the repair department and call me right back. No call back. I have the loaner, so I guess I will use that this week. For what the bag cost, it is nonsense
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:03 pm

She called me today.
She claims the repair guy said it 100% needed a new frame and since airline damage is only 1 year coverage, I had to pay for it. Honestly this is such BS, the bag is the extra large wheeled duffel. It is meant to be checked luggage. The bag was not ripped, torn, abused. Just basic airline handling. Granted I travel a lot and it is always overseas with a lot of connections, so it gets its share of bumps.
But that is why I bought a 700 bag.

So I ask her how much, she say the repair is $150. BUT, the part is NOT available???
How is this possible. Now I am about to get pissed. But I asked her what the hell am I suppose to do??? She said she spoke with her manager and they agreed to give me a new replacement bag for the repair costs. So I get a brand new bag, for $150+$25(initial shipping from Tumi to Tumi Repair) Now, do I keep it and go through the same in a few years? or do I sell it and buy another brand??
This bag is perfect for my traveling. It holds a lot and I have not found a bag that is similar. At least not yet.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:32 am

IMHO you should take the deal. Then, sell it on eBay. And purchase this. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...129&sec=travel

Whenever there is a rolling part or a checking of the bag involved I go with Briggs.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by donho00
She called me today....]So I ask her how much, she say the repair is $150. BUT, the part is NOT available???
How is this possible. Now I am about to get pissed. But I asked her what the hell am I suppose to do??? She said she spoke with her manager and they agreed to give me a new replacement bag for the repair costs. So I get a brand new bag, for $150+$25(initial shipping from Tumi to Tumi Repair)...
This is what happens with poor warranty: now your bag would have cost you approx $900.

Anyway, at this price I'd take the new bag. Then sell and use the proceeds to buy B&R. (You can also decide to use your $900 Tumi till it goes kaput again, but then you'll have to spend extra for B&R, although you'd have time to keep an eye on sales. Your choice.)
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

I am getting home in a few hours.

Maybe I will ask the Tumi store for the box it was shipped in.LOL
It would make it a lot easier for me to ship it if I was selling it on Ebay.

But I can say I used the Tumi pully and it was great. My only complaint was the handle was a little too short. But according to Tumi, they make a larger one. the harder design of the pully. makes it seem like it might hold up longer.

I wonder how much I can recoupe, selling this on Ebay?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:44 pm

Smile Broken Tumi Wheel SOLUTION - EASY FIX!

Folks,

I have a pair of Tumi T3 26" suitcases that I purchased back in 2006 (7 years old now). On a trip last week one of the wheels was completely smashed off. I checked the Tumi website and they do not have any parts listed there. I called Tumi and they guided me toward shipping them my bag, they would then fix it for $40 USD, and then I would pay the return shipping as well. Or, they told me they would give me 35% credit toward a new suitcase, and of course the T3 is discontinued and the closest thing costs $999. OUCH! So I asked if they can just sell me the wheel and can I repair it myself. The lady said yes, they will sell me the wheel but that I might need some special hardware to do the repair, and that most people wind up sending the wheel and the suitcase to Tumi after doing this. I took my chances! The wheel assembly cost $10 and the shipping cost $5, and I received the part about 3 days later.

I inspected the inside of the bag and there is a zipper along the inner lining that you can only see if you lift up the side pockets that are connected by Velcro. Beneath the lining it is extremely easy to get at the 6 (six) Philips screws that hold in the entire wheel assembly. It took me about 5 minutes to swap out the wheel and zip the lining back up. DONE!

I am not going to get on the phone and order 4 more wheels (2 right, 2 left) before they discontinue that part. This should get me another 5 to 10 years out of these suitcases. I hope this helps someone else!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:34 pm

Bump

I tried Tumi (@Tumitravel) again, to my lasting regret. My first experience was a wheeled laptop roller, circa 2001. One wheel froze up about a year after purchase (skipping ahead, they save $0.10 by using unsealed/unshielded bearings in the wheels, which didn't hold up to Chicago winters). I sent it in for repairs with pictures. They fixed the wrong freaking wheel. When I complained, they told me that (picture evidence notwithstanding) they could not have made such a mistake, and if another wheel broke so soon, it must be abuse. I wound up fixing the bag myself.

Fast forward to last year. I bought a nice-looking Tumi laptop bag. A month ago, the metal plate that the latch turns against fell off. Evidently "innovative products that are designed and manufactured to be the best" doesn't include understanding what Loc-Tite Red is. I called up and asked if they could send me the parts. It's a 30 second fix: front plate, backing plate, and two eyeglass screws. I mean, I can drop the engine out of my freaking race car, so this isn't too challenging. They said no because, get this, they didn't think I could fix it to their standards. I actually agree, because I would do it right.
So I had to drive to their store, drop the bag off, and drive home. All for 2 screws. And the customer service. "World class" evidently means that you cannot ask questions by chat or email and need to call in and wait 30 minutes on hold. They provide no status update, and three weeks after drop-off, they haven't even logged the bag in yet. Bull.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, United
Welcome to flyertalk, great first post!

Originally Posted by ChicagoCraig
I tried Tumi (@Tumitravel) again, to my lasting regret. My first experience was a wheeled laptop roller, circa 2001. One wheel froze up about a year after purchase (skipping ahead, they save $0.10 by using unsealed/unshielded bearings in the wheels, which didn't hold up to Chicago winters). I sent it in for repairs with pictures. They fixed the wrong freaking wheel. When I complained, they told me that (picture evidence notwithstanding) they could not have made such a mistake, and if another wheel broke so soon, it must be abuse. I wound up fixing the bag myself.

Fast forward to last year. I bought a nice-looking Tumi laptop bag. A month ago, the metal plate that the latch turns against fell off. Evidently "innovative products that are designed and manufactured to be the best" doesn't include understanding what Loc-Tite Red is. I called up and asked if they could send me the parts. It's a 30 second fix: front plate, backing plate, and two eyeglass screws. I mean, I can drop the engine out of my freaking race car, so this isn't too challenging. They said no because, get this, they didn't think I could fix it to their standards. I actually agree, because I would do it right.
So I had to drive to their store, drop the bag off, and drive home. All for 2 screws. And the customer service. "World class" evidently means that you cannot ask questions by chat or email and need to call in and wait 30 minutes on hold. They provide no status update, and three weeks after drop-off, they haven't even logged the bag in yet. Bull.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ChicagoCraig

Welcome to FT from another Chicagoan!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would suggest you to consider Briggs & Riley which many of us regard as the best value, especially during seasonal sales and style closeouts.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
Switch to Briggs & Riley.
Indeed, B&R is the last of a dying breed, and they proudly proclaim on their website that " That’s why we’re the only luggage company to offer a lifetime repair guarantee on all our bags - simple as that."

Even Rimowa which I love and currently use only offers a 5-years warranty.

I have owned at least a dozen Hartmann luggage pieces, the ones proudly made in Lebanon, TN, before their sell-out to Samsonite, and those luggages were indeed warranted for life (of the company, that is). Many pieces sent in from repair & refinishing came back looking like new.

I just don't like the look of B&R, even though I use their laptop roll bag.

So I settle for Rimowa with 5-years warranty, and some Tumi pieces that my wife use. Funny thing is that Tumi seems to be selling quite well!

Last edited by sapguy; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
B&R doesn't offer free shipping, although the store you purchase it from might send it in for you. Tumi offers free shipping both ways in the first year. Tumi sells 67 bags for every one that B&R sells, and had 1/3 the number of warranty claims for bags in the first year. This is not 1/3 for on a per capita, this is 1/3 the total claims of first year bags. Thus B&R has a first year detect rate of at least 201 times that of Tumi when you look at the number of defect per bag made.

Tumi's warranty is better than B&R in the first 12 months.

Tumi offers loner bags, B&R does not.

If a bag is truly defective it should show up in the first few uses, thus 1 year should be sufficient. The next 4 years the Tumi warranty is as good as B&R with with the exception of the airline caused damage, or you driving it over with your car. However Tumi is better during this period for all of the little things you are actually more likely to need a fix on (break a way zipper pulls for example) with having all of the locations including over 100 in airports around the world (which alone is more than the B&R repair centers you can try to go to). B&R made over 1/3 of all bags in 2014 be shipped in for repair, the local centers couldn't do it. If you want a repair kit that is worth $2.30 they charge you $10 even though it cost them less than $5 for everything. Wow that's a great warranty.

If you want a bag that is more likely to need a repair because of a defect, or you want a bag that needs a repair because the airline damaged it, then pick B&R. Be ready to come out of pocket though, as I have two co-workers that spend more shipping their Torq bags than what they paid for them in the multiple repairs they needed. These are the facts, not just some emotional tie to someone thinking they have a lifetime warranty so it's a great bag....

That's not me, I just want a bag that works, and doesn't inconvenience me while I am traveling..... That rules out B&R

Leaves me with Bric's, Rimowa, Tumi, and Victorinix as the best choices.... All of which will pay for the shipping for your bag in the first 12 months back to them if they can't fix it locally.... unlike B&R None of them charge for repair kits... B&R just inflates the price of the bags they sell to cover the airline damage and other incidentals rather than actually having a better made bag.

Last edited by mspreh; Feb 8, 2016 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:30 am

Tumi's warranty does not justify their very high prices at this point.

Sadly, like so many other quality synonymous names from the past, it's all fumes and status now.

The quality of Tumi bags is fine, but not outstanding. And the warranty is just crap.

Briggs and Riley is pretty much the last man standing that offers a first class warranty at an acceptable (not cheap, but reasonable) price. And my experiences with Briggs and Riley have all been stellar--no quality related issues. I wish they were more fashionable (to be generous), but you can't have everything.

Give the Tumi craptastic warranty, you might as well buy whatever $100 bag Costco is selling this month and use their generous return policy for your warranty.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
So I had some issues with my Tumi bag that I bought about 6 years ago - the zipper had just broken off. They shipped it back to the warehouse and fixed it for free. Took them about 3 weeks, but it was completely free. They even gave me a loaner when I was waiting for mine to be fixed!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by KwadGuy
Tumi's warranty does not justify their very high prices at this point.

Sadly, like so many other quality synonymous names from the past, it's all fumes and status now.
Price point $519 for a bag that statistically is more than 500 times as likely to need a repair than the bag that is $589, oh yeah they are just so high in price compared to the much more reasonably priced B&R bag. Too funny, that's comparing signature models of the 22" Roll-a-board bags for each brand.

Yet Tumi's warranty is better than B&R's for the 1st year, when more than 99% of failures happen due to workmanship, material, or design flaws. After year one, it is still superior in every way other than if the airline damages the bag.

With B&R you are responsible for freight to them if the local repair center can't fix the bag. Which they can't do more than 1/3 of the time, and 100% on their hard-sided luggage lines.

Glad you emotionally tie that to being a craptastic warranty though! lol

The quality of Tumi bags is fine, but not outstanding. And the warranty is just crap.
Tumi has had fewer total warranty claims for bags within the first year of purchase each of the past 3 years than B&R. Tumi sells more than 500 bags for every bag that B&R sells. Therefore you are more than 500 times as likely to have a B&R bag fail or need warranty repair in the first year of ownership (which again represents over 99% of all warranty claims), than you are with Tumi.

Tumi stores, and retailers such as Nordstrom, Neimans, and Saks all offer loaner bags if you bring in a Tumi bag that needs to be repaired. That doesn't happen with B&R.

Briggs and Riley is pretty much the last man standing that offers a first class warranty at an acceptable (not cheap, but reasonable) price. And my experiences with Briggs and Riley have all been stellar--no quality related issues. I wish they were more fashionable (to be generous), but you can't have everything.

Give the Tumi craptastic warranty, you might as well buy whatever $100 bag Costco is selling this month and use their generous return policy for your warranty.
B&R not only makes you pay the freight in, but then they charge you $10 for zipper pulls, and make you put them on yourself. A pair of zipper pulls if you buy them from the same supplier we do (and I have seen the B&R zipper pulls there as well) you get them for about $0.35 per pair when purchased in quantities of 1000 pair at a time, and that price can drop if you purchase them in quantities of greater than 5000, which I hope B&R can do, but they don't have much market share so maybe not. Packaging, shipping and zipper pulls cost them less than $1.50 going USPS.

B&R sells people on the emotional attachment to a warranty. I work in the industry and we source specialty equipment bags. One brand we source for, offers a 7 year warranty, when everyone else they compete against offers a 3 or 5 year warranty. The do it for the emotional attachment, and it works for them. Additionally most people don't make the claim on a bag after 3 years regardless, as they want the new style of bag, so the long term cost on the warranties after a few years is pretty negligible.

Emotion is a powerful thing. However the emotion generated by the no questions asked warranty that makes B&R an extra $8.50 every time someone needs new zipper pulls, and they make you put them on, is just a marketing plow to attach to peoples emotions and try to get them to buy in. Tumi will put them on for you, and Tumi has over 40 airport locations in the US alone where they can do it for you while you are traveling, and it's completely free.

Their are multiple options that are better quality than what Tumi is offering these days, however B&R is not one of them. Even though the way that warranty sounds and makes you feel as if they do.

I've said it many times. I'd rather have a bag that just works the way it was intended and holds up. I don't need a warranty for when the airline drives a tug over my bag, and the airline will compensate me for it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.