Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi warranty not lifetime!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by tfar
So even if it's not covered under warranty why don't you just buy the parts and replace the wheels? Still cheaper than a new bag and if the wheels are the only thing that's going bad that would be the reasonable thing to do.

The guy in the luggage store claims that because he probably has the largest margin on Tumi.

Till
Not replacing the wheels because it's not just the wheels. It's also the entire pull handle assembly which is sticking. By the time you add it up, it's close enough to the price of the Travelpro bag if you time it right and buy them on closeout.

Also, true lifetime warranties are great. Bags that rarely break on their own are even better. I really don't want to get stuck in say, India with a busted bag. I looked into the Eagle Creek H2C which has a got a great warranty. But the construction quality looks uneven -- like low quality zipper pulls. My bet is that the core of the bag is good and other stuff not so good to save on cost and weight.

I also found that the B&R bag is the same weight as the TP but looks to have something like 10-20% more room in it.

I'm going on a transcon trip soon. It'll be a test-run for the B&R bag. Assuming I like it, it'll go with me to India.
Old May 8, 2010, 1:07 pm

I see. I think the wheels will be around $20 and the pull-handle around $50 max. If they are as easy to change as on my Plat5 it will take you 20 minutes with a screwdriver to get it all fixed up. I suppose you can't get an equivalent wheeled case for $70 even on sale. Your money, I'm just sayin'.

The BR has possibly more room because the handle contraption is on the outside. This makes the case bigger. For a checked case in the 24-26" category that is not a problem. But the 22" BR gets too big for the sizers because of that.

For checked duty a BR is an excellent choice. You could also look to pick up a Tourbach 1 on sale. But I think the wheels on those are not so well protected.

Till
Old May 8, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I wish it were that simple. It's the tubes themselves that need replacing and they don't even have the *part* any more. They were talking about using longer tubes cutting them down to size. If I want this bag fixed, I'm going to have to call TP, send it in and see what they can do. Which given that I've got 2 trips in the next month wasn't really an option.

I'm going to call them up anyway -- it'll be interesting to see what they consider normal wear and tear. But given what the guy at the repair place said and the wording on the TP warranty, I'm not hopeful.

And yes, this is for checked duty. Unlike the other FT'ers, I check a bag on every flight so it's the 24" that gets abused, not a 21-22" carryon. I wouldn't consider the B&R 22" because of the sizer problems.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Avios
Just to pile on...I guess...I would NEVER buy another piece of Tumi Luggage again!

I have purchased many pieces of Tumi for a variety of travel and business needs.

I selected Tumi because I like the look and I thought their warranty was supposed to be good and with a "high end" product like Tumi, and I thought their customer service would meet or exceed my expectations.

I have had a number of problems with the luggage being torn, manhandled and damaged, etc. while traveling.

When I have asked about repairing, I am told to ship it back or take it to Tumi store and pay to have it shipped back for repairs...at a cost.

Additionally, they always tried to shift the emphasis to me buying another piece of their luggage at a discount!

I may have no right to be angry...but I am and will never purchase Tumi again!

I have purchased several pieces of B&R and had one problem which was promptly repaired at no cost to me!

I, personally, think B&R should always be on your radar screen when considering purchase of luggage and/or travel items.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: AA, DL
Hmm. I was just about to buy a Tumi Vapor Extended, but then read this and a few other threads.
I can't justify the price given the problems described.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I have had several Tumi products. All of them had defects within the first two years, and all were bought before they reduced coverage. They never, ever repaired anything I sent under warranty, five items, but told me the product had been discontinued so I could have 50% off my choice of a new Tumi, because they no longer had parts for the old one. One of them, a 20" carryon, was in stock at my local luggage store, same model. The wheels had broken on the original. I bought the "new" one, and the wheels promptly broke on that one also. I no longer advocate Tumi. They're dishonest!
So who do you recommend now?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by battensea
So who do you recommend now?
For wheeled luggage, Briggs & Riley (or Rimowa if you like hard sided cases.) For non wheeled, I'd look at Red Oxx or Tom Bihn.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:02 am

Let me add my experience. I had sent my Tumi bag in a couple of times over the 13 years I've owned it and they always fixed anything--no questions. Sent it in again for the same kinds of problems as before--broken zipper, broken handle, tear in seam, etc. And they sent me an itemized estimate of repairs totaling $245. They went on and on about how their warranty only covered defects and this was all damage and wear. Oh, and also how their NEW warranty is BETTER than the old one since it covered wear and damage for the first year and defects for 5 years. They would NOT acknowledge that there was ever any kind of lifetime warranty. I wrote to the president (see my letter below) and they called me back and said that they had re-evaluated my bag and some of the requested repairs were actually defects and they would fix them, but that even with those fixed the bag would not really be satisfactory to use and so they are sending me a brand new bag! That was a surprise! As I told them, I'm happy to get the new bag, but it is annoying that they would not acknowledge any change in how they handle warranty items. And of course their NEW warranty is what I will be keeping in mind as I decide on future purchases.

My advice? If you have a problem with a bag you have now, write to the president, since how the customer service department treats repairs seems now to vary all over the map. If you are thinking about buying Tumi, read the new warranty carefully!

One more point--it seems to me that the difference between "original defect" and "wear and tear" is COMPLETELY subjective. Any failure can be blamed on either if the problem arises in normal usage of the bag.

While waiting for Tumi to reply I did buy my first Briggs and Riley bag and it's great so far. About a third of the price of the similar Tumi, no-questions-asked warranty and very well designed from what I see so far.

Barclay

---

April 18, 2013
Mr. Jerome Griffith, CEO
Tumi, Inc.
US Corporate Headquarters
1001 Durham Avenue
South Plainfield, New Jersey 07080

Dear Mr. Griffith,
I have owned Tumi luggage for over 15 years, and currently have about 10 pieces. One of the main reasons I chose Tumi is (was) the famous lifetime warranty. During the 13 years I have owned a model 02206D3 “WAW DLX EXP COMP BRF” I have sent it in for repair twice for things such a broken handle, jammed wheel, broken zipper pull, etc. and a third time for a botched repair that had to be redone. In each case there were no questions asked about the nature of the needed repairs, and this was great, and made me feel like my investment in Tumi was worthwhile.
This same bag accumulated a few more problems in recent months, and so I brought it to a local Tumi store for a return again. The clerk shipped it in as before. This time however, your customer service department has sent me a repair estimate for $245 stating that ALL of the needed repairs fall under wear and tear and that none of the work would be covered under the lifetime warranty that the bag had when I bought it. She also offered to sell me a new bag and 30% off list price. I thought this was surprising, given my past experience and the reputation of Tumi, so I did some online searching.
As you probably know, there are many, many stories of this happening on a number of the frequent traveler web sites. One mentions an attorney who is even preparing a class action suit alleging that Tumi is not honoring its previous lifetime warranty. Most of the online stories conclude with something to the effect of the person will never buy another Tumi bag. To be fair, there were some, though fewer, stories in the same discussions about Tumi repairing similar issues for other owners without charge or question, so I am wondering if there is a consistent standard.
Your customer service person, when I discussed the above with her, actually claimed that your warranty has been expanded since when I bought the bag. She said that you now cover wear and tear for 5 years, where before only defects were covered. First, I don’t see this when I read your warranty online, and second, determining defect vs. damage vs. wear and tear seems to be largely subjective. If I pull on a zipper and it breaks, was this because it was defective, or because it was worn out or what? If it was truly wear and tear then I would expect that ALL zippers, wheels, seams, fabrics, etc. wear out in about the same amount of time.
If I had to guess, I would guess that someone in your company has decided that customer service should no longer be part of the Tumi brand value, but rather should try to make a profit, by charging for repairs whenever possible and selling new luggage at a discount.
As you may know, at least one of your high end competitors makes a very bold warranty statement that covers all breakage from any cause (defect, owner, airline, etc.) for an unlimited time. Now that’s added value for a frequent traveler like me who covers about 100,000 air miles each year!
For your reference, my bag is at your customer service department with order number xxx and customer number yyy. This bag had a lifetime warranty when I bought it, and I request that it be honored and the bag repaired.
As for new bags sold now, I would also suggest that Tumi consider a more consistent treatment of customers and also consider the impact of backing off from a lifetime warranty to a 5 year limited warranty, on brand image and sales. Evaluating the warranty is a part of every new luggage purchase I make.

Sincerely,
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

briggs and riley and perhaps osprey seem to have best warranties
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Red Oxx also.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:40 pm

I had lost faith in Tumi after what felt like some issues with reasonably new items. Took a 5 year old piece to my local dealer/repair shop. Expandable roll aboard that had mostly been abused and needed wheels, handle, plastic expansions pieces, etc, etc. I was expecting a large bill, but the bill was for 25$ because Tumi had handled the majority of the repairs under warranty. Totally flabbergasted and perhaps hoping and perhaps hoping that Tumi is getting their act back together.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Red Oxx, B&R, TravelPro for their Platinum line (right down to the intentionally vulnerable zipper pulls). They all have unequivocal, no-matter-what, lifetime warranties...sort of. B&R guarantees they will FIX the bag. Red Oxx will fix it OR replace it. Neither will replace for cosmetic reasons, but Red Oxx will replace it if they can't efficiently repair.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Although they're not thought of by many FTers as highly as other brands, Victorinox does has a pretty solid lifetime warranty, which includes defects and common carrier damage to be fixed or replaced, for their top lines. I haven't had to use it, but that was a factor in my decision to buy a Werks Traveler bag.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/cont...lWAndPOverview
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: United 1K
I have an ongoing problem right now with Tumi

I was traveling a lot and all my generic suitcases/luggage was falling apart after so many trips. I was sick of buying $100-$200 cases that didn't last.

My brother in law tells me that he only buys Tumi, they have a lifetime warranty.
I looked at them bags and found a large wheeled duffle I loved. It fit anything and because it was a duffle, you can really stuff it.
So I picked it up, I think it was 650-700 bucks. But considering the lifetime warranty, I assumed it was well worth it.

So I start using it a lot. It was durable, the ballistic cloth was scratch and seemed tear proof. I had that bag packed on many trips. up to almost 70lbs on many trips

The bag started to feel more flimsy. I realize its a duffle, but a hard bottomed duffle. It felt like a lot of flex. But no worries, I kept using it. I just went and came back from Asian and when I arrived there, the bag had a split corner seam. NOT a tear, it split the stictched seams on the bottom corner. It was not ripped or torn, but the bag was coming apart. I came home and it seemed to be the same.

I called Tumi and assumed an easy process. Considering the company HQ is a few miles from where I live!
They tell me to send it in. To GA!!?? I said the HQ is right here. They tell me they do not handle repairs. I ask her HOW DO I send this massive bag? it is NOT collapsible. It would need a huge box. The lady tells me to bring it to fed ex or UPS and they can pack it and ship it. I said do you have an account? They said NO, you pay the costs???
I tell her it would be over 100 bucks to ship it, she says I can bring it to the local Tumi Retailer and they can send it in for a flat 25.00 fee.
Fine, I bring it to Tumi in Short Hills and they charge me 25 bucks and off it goes. They tell me 4 weeks, so they offer me a loaner. I mention that besides the split seam, the bag feels flimsy. They tell me they will call me.

Less then two weeks and it is today. I get a call from Tumi in Ga. The lady says the seam can be repaired. But the frame is broken and is NOT repairable. I am thinking, a new replacement bag. BUT NO. She tells me it is not covered since it is airline damge? I ask her how is it damage, it was not cut or torn, the seam popped the stiches.
She said they cannot fix it, and they will not replace it. But I can buy a new Tumi bag at a discount???? Now they make this bag for travel, most likely on a plane. But the warranty doesn't cover any repairs due to airline use after one year???? How is that? ..., does this warranty cover. She said defects in manufacturing???

I argued and she said she would ask the repair guy if they can fix it. and call me back. NO WAY am I buying another Tumi bag at whatever discount. Especially since I know the warranty is garbage.
She claims they can fix the seam. I might just have them do that and take the bag back. Flimsy as it may be, at least it is usable! I plan to talk to a supervior when she gets back to me. But I am assuming she will not honor anything, so what do you guys suggest??
I don't mind paying more, if it is durable and has a quality warranty. I need a large bag, can be a large puller or a large duffle(wheeled) No hardshells.

thanks for letting me rant
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Keep us posted. Good luck this time, but switch to B&R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.