Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i heard EK recycles the water used in showers rather than having separate water for each pax
If it gets filtered, is that a bad thing?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:09 am

If the water is filtered properly that should be no problem. There is no such thing as "new" water anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bridgeair
If the water is filtered properly that should be no problem. There is no such thing as "new" water anyway.
Certainly not aboard a plane!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I didn't notice a difference in the supposed quietness of the a380
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't think I would need to shower on a plane.

Or even in a lounge.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I didn't notice a difference in the supposed quietness of the a380
Had you been seated in front of the engines, and particular in front of the engines and upstairs, you would have noted the plane is noticeably quieter than other aircraft.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Or even in a lounge.
Getting OT, but can I ask why?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I shower before I go on a trip, right before.

Usually try not to book itineraries with long layovers.

I think last year, I was at CDG for a couple of hours layover and reached the AF lounge for a business class award.

I did see the bathrooms there but I had showered before boarding this intra European flight so really no need.

Now if I was going to India or something with a long layover in HKG or maybe somewhere in the Middle East, I'd look into something like that.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Now if I was going to India or something with a long layover in HKG or maybe somewhere in the Middle East, I'd look into something like that.
Yeah, wait until you get an itinerary like business meetings all day, then rush to the airport for a night flight DFW-FRA, three hours before FRA-IST-BOM overnight, then BOM-KUL and meetings that morning--you may reconsider that shower option

(To keep it on topic, I suppose I should have made one of those connections 60 minutes in DXB so you could just shower on the plane instead...)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I shower before I go on a trip, right before.

Usually try not to book itineraries with long layovers.

I think last year, I was at CDG for a couple of hours layover and reached the AF lounge for a business class award.

I did see the bathrooms there but I had showered before boarding this intra European flight so really no need.

I also try to shower before flying. Was just wondering if you had a specific issue with lounge showers. Only done it really on ridiculous routings.
That being said, the showers in the Senator Lounge in ZRH were among the best showers I've ever had!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Yeesh, I totally love showering at the arrivals lounge. After a (hopefully) decent night's sleep on board, it gives me a great, clean start to the day at my destination (or even for a connecting flt to my dest) and helps me wake up as well.

Showering on-board, however, I think I will skip, particularly since reading just above that the water is recycled. (Yes, it makes sense that it would be recycled, and sure, it's 'filtered', but really!)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by China Clipper
Yeesh, I totally love showering at the arrivals lounge. After a (hopefully) decent night's sleep on board, it gives me a great, clean start to the day at my destination (or even for a connecting flt to my dest) and helps me wake up as well.

Showering on-board, however, I think I will skip, particularly since reading just above that the water is recycled. (Yes, it makes sense that it would be recycled, and sure, it's 'filtered', but really!)
I think I'd try it once, just for the novelty
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by geminidreams
In the mean time Airbus has made a lot of money selling A330s due to production problems Boeing has had with the 787 s. The A350 along with the revamped A 330 neo is being competitive with Boeings 787 and 777. The reality is that not all modes of anything whether planes, cars, phones or computers are successful, however there is a requirement to have all market segments covered in case there is a change in market conditions.

Having viable competition is always a good thing as is choice. The point is just as much that Airbus needs to cover Boeings market segments and vice versa or run the risk of not having the correct equipment for changing markets and finding themselves uncompetitive.
All fine and dandy, but the topic at hand is whether or not the A380--not Airbus--is a failure. The A380 may be a delight for premium class passengers with the enhancements permitted by the extra space, but that doesn't mean the plane itself is a winner for Airbus. In simple economic terms, Airbus is unlikely to ever recoup its investment for the next 30+ years AT LEAST on the A380. That is what I call a business failure.

For the airlines that already have the A380, and Emirates which continues to get more, I'm sure they will serve their purpose for the few routes on which the A380 makes sense. I am very excited to fly the BA A380 in F in October the the EK A380 in F in January. I'm sure they will offer a F experience unlike any I've had thus far (except for CX F, perhaps). I will look forward to enjoying SQ A380 F, QF A380 F , LH A380 F, and OZ A380 F in the future, too. But I likely won't be seeing the A380 too often on most of the routes I fly or hope to fly since the A380 is just too big for those routes.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I think I'd try it once, just for the novelty
True. There would be bragging rights
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
FI am very excited to fly the BA A380 in F in October the the EK A380 in F in January. I'm sure they will offer a F experience unlike any I've had thus far (except for CX F, perhaps). I will look forward to enjoying SQ A380 F, QF A380 F , LH A380 F, and OZ A380 F in the future, too.
Well aren't you lucky!

And I would tend to agree, that the A380 is great for premium cabins, but unless there's more radical changes to the aviation industry, I just don't see how the A380 can be so profitable (unlike something like the A350 and 787, which actually complement each other rather nicely I believe)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.