Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:08 pm

I find it rather sad because most of the newer first class products in the A380 look like the best F products.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

Can someone explain the quote from Emirates in the article?

"We are on the hook for this plane," said Emirates President Tim Clark. "I get pretty miffed when we have put so much at stake," he told Reuters.

Why would they be upset if they've already taken delivery of their a/c.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
I find it rather sad because most of the newer first class products in the A380 look like the best F products.
True, but with the exception of showers and the residence, there isn't much reason why most of the features of the F cabin can't be put into a 777, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
Didn't they build a multi billion dollar new terminal dedicated to A380's?

Either way, I'm glad for the shift. Point to point is great, and the 380-800 was too short (looked bad).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:20 pm

"We are on the hook for this plane," said Emirates President Tim Clark. "I get pretty miffed when we have put so much at stake," he told Reuters.

Maybe this will make maintenance cost more?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
They still need to fill the back of the plane. We may love fly F, but it's an awfully big plane to fill to pay for the fuel and having those lovely F suites and shower.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:43 pm

Not to mention it takes awhile to board/deboard it.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
tsz

I would think because this means down the road/in the long run, they're gonna have to find something else to replace the A380s (and a comparable product doesn't really exist...at least not yet).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the Travel News forum where a comprehensive discussion has been underway: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...on-thread.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
There's minimal new content in the referenced CNN article - the lack of profitability has been known for a long time, and Airbus have been saying they will need to make a decision about future production "soon", "in the short-medium term", "by the end of the year" etc. for a while now.

Of course Emirates are ticked off... they (and the other Gulf carriers) rely on trunk routes more than anyone else. However, Emirates are also pushing for new variants and modifications to the A380, which is where Airbus are balking.

I find the NY Times article from August quite interesting.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Someday I will get the chance to travel using the Boeing Dreamliner, which I also look forward to.
You're in for a treat.

I rode a 787 from BKK to NRT this past weekend.

The electrochromic windows are VERY nice, and VERY effective at darkening the cabin.

The cabin is QUIET, significantly more so than 767 or 777.

I didn't notice the thing that surprised me the most until it slapped me in the face. The cabin on the 787 is designed to be pressurized to a much lower equivalent altitude (higher internal pressure), and JAL did it. It makes for a much more comfortable ride. I didn't notice it, or connect it up, until I noticed that my favorite airline physics experiment was failing. (Open a plastic water bottle at cruise altitude. Drink about half the water. Seal the bottle. Look at it after landing. It will be about half-crushed, because of the lower pressurization at altitude. I do this on just about every flight, just for the fun of it. Except on the 787, it didn't crush!)

I was a bit disappointed in one thing. I was in an aisle seat, and there didn't appear to be an armrest release button anywhere, to let me put the aisle armrest up. (I just may not have found it.) A JAL flight attendant showed it to me on their 767s a year or two ago, and it makes it a LOT easier to get in and out of the seat.

I was a bit surprised on one thing. The airplane actually seemed smaller than I expected it to be.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by zarkov505
I didn't notice it, or connect it up, until I noticed that my favorite airline physics experiment was failing. (Open a plastic water bottle at cruise altitude. Drink about half the water. Seal the bottle. Look at it after landing. It will be about half-crushed, because of the lower pressurization at altitude. I do this on just about every flight, just for the fun of it. Except on the 787, it didn't crush!)
You're such a nerd. I love it!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by will2288
True, but with the exception of showers and the residence, there isn't much reason why most of the features of the F cabin can't be put into a 777, etc.
EK does have showers in F in some of their 777's.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:57 am

EK like to have a very young fleet (I think the average age is around 6 years at the moment) - with Airbus not supporting the A380, EK might have a problem with values in the secondary market causing them to take a bigger than expected write down in the asset value when it comes to their scheduled replacement. Later A380s operated by EK have shifted this problem onto lessors and investors though, but it's still going to be a hit for their balance sheet.

Unfortunately for EK, they are probably the only operator with the cost base and route network to make the plane actually regularly profitable - whether Airbus are going to build a plane just for one customer...well...!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Because the future resale value of the plane will be much less if it's taken out of production. Lease rates to other airlines will be lower. And maintenance will be higher. If you've made a commitment to the aircraft then your entire infrastructure, from training to terminals, will be, to an extent, built around it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.