Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chexfan
Ahh... you just have to love the varying shades of grey today!

Last night I was able to put up, legitmately, my body weight at the bench. It was a goal for 2005, but I'm ok w/ the delay of a week!
excellent!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by chexfan
Thanks! I put up 205 about 2 weeks ago, only to find out that I weighed 207.

So I just put on 210 (yes, I actually used those 2.5 lb plates) and threw it up to settle all (of my mental) debates.

I know I'm going to laugh at that nit-picking of mine in the future, but hey, it wasn't my body weight!!!

Benching is the only thing I hate my long arms for!
I'm 240 benching about 180 right now. I've got a ways to go. Plus I'm 6'3" with a wingspan to match.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do dips. I wonder how those equate to the benchpress? I am still doing bodyweight. I do about 15 - 20. I am not making progress poundage-wise because I don't work out frequently enough for upper body progress to be made.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love my short arms I guess!!

I'm about 225-235 (haven't been on the scale in a long time) benching 210 for 20 reps.

I'd like to get back to doing my bodyweight for 20 reps (by brining my weight down, not my bench up to around 215-220). Strength has taken a back seat to marathon training currently but after April I'll cycle back to heavier weights (currently doing 2 total body lifts a week with 20 rep sets).

In the long term I'd love to spend about 6 months running mostly (20-30 miles/week + 2 lifts) and 6 months lifting mostly (3-4 lifts + 12-15miles/week).

annerj
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Rest day for me. Working all day and flying home tonight, so will have no time to workout. Hopefully will get some walking in .
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Was very sick last Thursday & Friday (possible food poisoning). No excuse for Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Yesterday, back into the swing of things with a 45 min, 2 cooldown cardio on the life-fitness elliptical trainer. Hopefully I will be in OK shape for skiing on Monday (just a one-day outing).
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
Was very sick last Thursday & Friday (possible food poisoning). No excuse for Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Yesterday, back into the swing of things with a 45 min, 2 cooldown cardio on the life-fitness elliptical trainer. Hopefully I will be in OK shape for skiing on Monday (just a one-day outing).
it is hard to get back to working out when you stop. Good luck skiing! Don't overdo it.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got to the run late last night (poker game went long) but got 4.5 miles in. Felt good. I'm hoping to inch up my 2 non-long runs in distance and intensity. For the last 14 or so weeks they were 4....I'll do 4.5 for a month and half or so then go 5.

Not sure if I posted it but this is my training schedule for the Marathon:
Mon - Alt Cardio
Tue - 4 Miler
Wed - Weights
Thur - 4 Miler
Fri - Alt Cardio
Sat - Weights
Sun - Long Run

annerj
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
Got to the run late last night (poker game went long) but got 4.5 miles in. Felt good. I'm hoping to inch up my 2 non-long runs in distance and intensity. For the last 14 or so weeks they were 4....I'll do 4.5 for a month and half or so then go 5.

Not sure if I posted it but this is my training schedule for the Marathon:
Mon - Alt Cardio
Tue - 4 Miler
Wed - Weights
Thur - 4 Miler
Fri - Alt Cardio
Sat - Weights
Sun - Long Run

annerj
you know your own body but for me this would be overtraining. I would need some recovery time.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richard
you know your own body but for me this would be overtraining. I would need some recovery time.
This schedule is nothing - wait till you see it 12 weeks from now (4 weeks before goal race).

I don't know what plan annerj is following...all of the "first marathon" programs are pretty similar. They feature gradual base building, lenghtening the long run, some midweek speed, etc. Usually 4-5 total weekly runs.

The one thing I'd recommend even if your plan doesn't - make sure you add some racing along the way. I love a 1/2 marathon on my last step-back week - usually 4 or 5 weeks before goal race. And maybe drop in a 10K and/or a 10-miler on earlier step-back weeks. Short races are not only good training, they are bloody good fun and the keep your interest piqued for the goal race.

Only thing I don't do is try to race on the same weekend as I'm pushing my long run out to a new (longer) distance. I use the step-back weeks.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
This schedule is nothing - wait till you see it 12 weeks from now (4 weeks before goal race).
Well, everyone is different. I'm at a point when I run 2 - 3 miles or so, not marathon distances. That is a year or so away for me. But I doubt I'd ever be able to workout and run every single day without some recovery days sandwiched in between.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends. So far I'm working out less than I did before. I am use to 1-1.5 hrs/day 5-6 days/wk).

The Alt Cardio days are only 35-45 minutes long and not high intensity so to me they are like a recovery day (just enough to keep the legs loose). The short runs are only 4-5 milers so again only 40-45 minutes running. Also mixing lifting in is a rest from the runs (I don't do legs while training).

In looking at my log it seems I miss one session about every other week (its usually the Friday and always the alt cardio session).
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, everyone is different. I'm at a point when I run 2 - 3 miles or so, not marathon distances. That is a year or so away for me. But I doubt I'd ever be able to workout and run every single day without some recovery days sandwiched in between.
Heck, everybody - even elite runners - uses recovery days. They are important no matter what your level is.

Even the top Kenyans (who do two-a-days and 110+ mile weeks) take days off.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
The one thing I'd recommend even if your plan doesn't - make sure you add some racing along the way. I love a 1/2 marathon on my last step-back week - usually 4 or 5 weeks before goal race. And maybe drop in a 10K and/or a 10-miler on earlier step-back weeks. Short races are not only good training, they are bloody good fun and the keep your interest piqued for the goal race.

Only thing I don't do is try to race on the same weekend as I'm pushing my long run out to a new (longer) distance. I use the step-back weeks.
Yeah my training notes an option of a 5k or 10k some weeks instead of the 8-10 long run (step backs). I'll have to look at the runs coming up in Colorado and see if anything fits.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
ahh the gym this morning for chest and running at lunch.. 3 1/4 today.. the weather still sucks here.. so that is my current on going excuse

Originally Posted by annerj
Yeah my training notes an option of a 5k or 10k some weeks instead of the 8-10 long run (step backs). I'll have to look at the runs coming up in Colorado and see if anything fits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.