Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I plan on using this thread to post my run reports every day I run in the New Year. Get used to it. If Flyertalk supported images, I'd post a screen shot of my graphs as well. ^

Are you a Forerunner user? I got the 201 for Christmas and am wondering what I am missing without the heart monitor.
What do these graphs look like? Can you email them? [email protected] if you don't mind.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Since we are showing what we use to work out with, here is what I use… http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00615402000

This is not the same I’ve but you’ll get an idea of what I have… Its basically an older model I got it in 2000 though…
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by annerj
I will say that training for this marathon (4/1) is kind of weird for me. I'm use to going all out on my workouts and have nothing left at the end. The training I'm using now has most of my workouts during the week at a slow pace and not very long (35-45 minutes).

I'm already nervous about it

What I typically do (typical being only a couple of marathons and maybe 6-7 halfs, none all that fast, so take with a grain of salt), is continue whatever my training looks like until I get to the appropriate part of the training schedule.

So if I'm doing 20 miles/week with some faster runs and a long run of say 8 miles and the first three weeks of training have 15 miles/week and long runs of 6 and then 7, I'll just continue to do what I've been doing. In other words, I only really follow the schedule when it starts increasing from what I'm used to. I hate the feeling of regressing at the start of a training schedule (but it probably keeps you uninjured!).
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:58 am

What do these graphs look like? Can you email them? [email protected] if you don't mind.
Done!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only time I have problems at boot-up with my Garmin is at my own house. Perhaps it's because we have a lot of huge trees - even in the winter the device might not have good line of sight.

Other than that, I've used it from Seattle all the way to Central America and had no problems with either boot-up or retaining a strong signal. First use in a location is maybe a 3-minute link up and after that it's about 30 seconds.

As far as racing goes, the only thing I'm definitely in for is Grandma's in June. But I want to do something else in the spring. I'd love to do Napa but I don't think I can be ready to really run it well. So do I want to go out there and run it so-so and drink a ton of wine? Maybe... Big Sur falls on a weekend where we already have plans. My ideal timing would be 4-6 weeks prior to Grandma's, so Vancouver, a return to the Pig in Cincinnati, or Lincoln are possibilities.

Oh, and I'll run all of the local halves around Kansas City. One in Topeka here in a couple of weeks that I'll probably do...

Annerj, you're running the Martian, right?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:55 am

Yesterday was my rest day, so I rested. Well, I walked about 2 miles for lunch as we walked a mile to the restaurant and a mile back. But basically I just rested and watched football. ^

Today, Sunday (1/8) I was supposed to do a LDS run (Long Distance, Slow) of around 8 miles or so as I ramp up my mileage for my first half-marathon at the end of February. I didn't run as slow as I should have, and ended up doing 8.5 miles in 1:30:38, or a 8:18 pace. This is approximately 10-15 seconds slower per mile than normal, so I suppose that's not too bad. Forerunner 201 tells me I burned 1328 calories in that effort.

Week totals for last week (1/1 - 1/7):

25.39 miles
3:26:57 running time
8:08 average pace
3607 calories burned

If everything else remained constant, I should have lost a pound this week. I don't look at the scale often, but will do a weigh-in in a couple weeks to see what kind of progress I am making.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yesterday: 4.5 miles, shiggy (deep woods, stream crossings, muck & mud, etc.)

Today: 9.5, roads. Nice weather, very refreshing run.

Tomorrow's plan is for 6 miles, fast. Tuesday I'll be in Seattle where I'll do a 6-mile very hilly run. Wednesday I'll probably run either Green Lake or Alki Beach. Thursday will be off...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a weightlifting workout a few days ago, rested yesterday and did an easy 2 mile run today. I had two people stop me in the neighborhood. One lady screeched to a halt in her minivan and offered me a ride anywhere or help. I told her I was just exercising.

Strange women routinely offer me rides when I go running My wife wouldn't be happy if I agreed to any of them, and besides, none of them have been very good looking.

A older man and woman walking their dog...the man said "good God, man, you can get frostbite!" (It was 45 degrees, balmy weather for wintertime). I said "your dog doesn't wear shoes" as I ran past them. The wife laughed and the man responded with some rejoinder "yes, but he has fur on his paws."

I am a beginner runner. I was only able to run without hurting myself when I started barefoot running this past August. I can run 3.5 miles at this point which is a longer run for me. And I'm very slow, about 13 minutes per mile.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by richard
I did a weightlifting workout a few days ago, rested yesterday and did an easy 2 mile run today. I had two people stop me in the neighborhood. One lady screeched to a halt in her minivan and offered me a ride anywhere or help. I told her I was just exercising.
Maybe she thought you were an escaped mental patient because you were running barefoot.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe she thought you were an escaped mental patient because you were running barefoot.
Don't you think it was that she thought I was cute and wanted an excuse to pick me up?

Barefoot guys get lucky more often.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:08 pm

Today I woke up feeling a bit sore from yesterday's 8.5 miler. Since my ankle injury that sidelined me from running for a good 6 months, that was my longest run to date. My body needs to get back into taking these longer runs in stride, to so speak.

So today I went on a short and slow "recovery" run during lunch. This was basically just to get some fresh air and get some blood-flow to the legs.

Ended up doing 3.03 miles in 24:59 or 8:14 pace. I tried to run slower than that but I find running slow very hard. For whatever reason I always end up gravitating back to that 8:10ish pace. Oh well.

Calories burned toteled 464.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Annerj, you're running the Martian, right?
That was the plan until yesterday. It seems that my wifes Spring Break falls that week and she wants to go to DC. So I'm now looking at the Nashville Marathon 4/29.

This could be good for a few reasons:
Its 4 extra weeks to train
The course is open longer (7 hours) so if something happens and I end up walking I should still be good to finish
Nashville seems like a better place to spend a few days than Dearborn.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:21 pm

The course is open longer (7 hours) so if something happens and I end up walking I should still be good to finish
Won't happen, you'll be fine!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For whatever reason I always end up gravitating back to that 8:10ish pace.
Wish I had that problem! I always find myself gravitating back to the 9:15ish pace.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:39 pm

That was the plan until yesterday. It seems that my wifes Spring Break falls that week and she wants to go to DC. So I'm now looking at the Nashville Marathon 4/29.

This could be good for a few reasons:
Its 4 extra weeks to train
Nashville seems like a better place to spend a few days than Dearborn.
Cool...heard good things about the Nashville 'thon. Put on by the same people who do the Rock N Roll races... I remember my first one - thinking "What if I croak out there and need seven hours to get back home?!? " It won't happen. You'll train well, and you'll do just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.