Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It really does nothing for me unless I go so fast and hard on the highest level, I look like an idiot.
Oh, right...blame the machine.

Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by pinniped
BTW, just read the BQ times posted in this thread. Count me in the "over 80 qualifer" based on the time from my first marathon.

Now that I've done 6, I'm closing in on the sixty year old guys. If I ever qualify for Boston, it'll be quite a few years down the road...
I'm convinced that one year, just one year, Boston should open the floodgates and let anyone who wants to run in. They would have to make substantial changes to the start and finish, but wouldn't that be awesome? They could do it once every 40 years or so so everyone has a chance to run Boston in a lifetime (assuming normal lifespan).
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911
Oh, right...blame the machine.

Seriously though, there is something about the elliptical that just seems too easy. Maybe it's because how smooth it is. If I'm not pounding joints it's just not hard enough .
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK...you got me. I did about 3 miles on the dreadmill in 30 mins. I'm not very fast.

About 85.3% soakage.

Worked shoulders, and got a new max weight at 190 on the hammer strength shoulder press.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:29 pm

Today was a mess in Boston. High winds, lots of rain, etc., so I took the day off. It was either today or tomorrow for a day off, so it doesn't do much to my training schedule.

I did walk to the store, though.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'm convinced that one year, just one year, Boston should open the floodgates and let anyone who wants to run in. They would have to make substantial changes to the start and finish, but wouldn't that be awesome? They could do it once every 40 years or so so everyone has a chance to run Boston in a lifetime (assuming normal lifespan).

They did the for the 100th Boston in 1996. No qualifier necessary. I didn't run it, but I understand it was pretty ugly. Water stations ran out of water, etc. It is an amazing race. I've run the past 5 Boston's and it looks like I will be taking a medical exemption this year. IT-band injury. It is an awesome race. If you can't qualify by time you can probably get a charity spot if you are willing to raise some $$.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dukeman
They did the for the 100th Boston in 1996. No qualifier necessary. I didn't run it, but I understand it was pretty ugly. Water stations ran out of water, etc. It is an amazing race. I've run the past 5 Boston's and it looks like I will be taking a medical exemption this year. IT-band injury. It is an awesome race. If you can't qualify by time you can probably get a charity spot if you are willing to raise some $$.
I ran it a couple years ago for charity and it was awesome. I would really like to BQ at some point, but it would require shaving nearly a minute off of my mile pace. I don't see that happening any time soon .

I did forget about the 100th in 1996 - good call. I hope they do it again sometime in my lifetime! Running for charity is fine, but you start at the very back of the pack (and the year I ran, a couple years ago, it was like 75 degrees at the start).
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
back from ACA.. ran 4 of 5 days.. no weights though.. tonight was the gym and it hurt.. and the treadmill which isn't the same as running in ACA
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did a bit of dynamic stretching. Tomorrow it's a run or lifting, we shall see.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Last night I did a 12 oz steak lift...1/2 oz at a time. Followed it up with a creme brulee press.

I love Ruth's Chris.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Last night, I did 30 minutes of pushing myself on the elliptical w/ arms, immediately followed by 15 minutes of slightly lighter exercise (~74 RPM down to ~64 RPM). I managed to soak my t-shirt down to my waist in the back, and down to my naval in the front. I figure as long as I am able to get decent soakage, I am getting a good workout. Tuesday was an off day due to sore muscles / hardly being able to walk.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Here's one that passed the "soakage" test: we went for a nice wicked hill run, just over 6 miles. Hard to believe it, but this was in Kansas, and the run was tougher than the run I do frequently in Seattle's Capitol Hill area. Much steeper hills, and almost no flat segments to rest. Just up and down. We ran it at a high-8's pace, and it was far tougher than the high-7's I did Monday night. Basically, it confirmed that I need to mix in more serious hills a little more often - it kicked my butt good.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:41 am

Phew. Just got back from a grueling 6.16 miler. I really pushed myself and finished in 46:16, or a 7:30 pace. This is the fastest I have run 6 miles in a real long time. My 1st and 5th miles were the fastest with pace of 7:17 and 7:08 respectively.

Forerunner 201 says 929 calories.

It feels good to get back from a run where you really push yourself. Phew.

Tomorrow I'll probably do an easier 5 miler .
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I figure as long as I am able to get decent soakage, I am getting a good workout.
Better soakage than shrinkage!

Signed,

George Constanza
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weights for me last night. The hotel I have has a smith machine and dumbless only to 50#s. I did 2 sets of 30 reps for each muscle group.

4-5 miler on my plate for tonight.
Friday I travel home but will try to get a alt cardio in
Sat is my hard lifting day (hard because I'm home and have a partner)
Sun is an 8-10 long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.