The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Done for the year. 590 miles running. 3 full marathons, 5 half marathons, several 5k, 10k, 15k races.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
That's amazing, iztok! Happy New Year to you too.

I skiied on Christmas Day, my first ski day in almost two years. My technique is fine, but I broke my nose on a black trail at Park City in 1992, severely sprained my ankle in September 2007 to the point where it took me six months to relearn to walk, and have gained a ton of weight, and I have no confidence.

I made the mistake of okaying a black trail my first run, and was scared the entire time. The rest of the day was better, and I didn't freak out again.

I'm trying to lose enough weight by the end of February to fit back into my skinny jeans for a concert March 2. Wish me luck!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome

I'm trying to lose enough weight by the end of February to fit back into my skinny jeans for a concert March 2. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

The ortho told me I might have problems w/ my ankle for up to a year. So I think walking some I'll be able to do, but running is going to be out for a while.

I also injured my hand in early December. Was told that can take 6 months as well.

I can't wait for 2013 to be over & 2014 to start (and hope the estimates aren't as long as indicated).

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:06 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Good luck!

The ortho told me I might have problems w/ my ankle for up to a year. So I think walking some I'll be able to do, but running is going to be out for a while.

I also injured my hand in early December. Was told that can take 6 months as well.

I can't wait for 2013 to be over & 2014 to start (and hope the estimates aren't as long as indicated).

Cheers.
What did you do to your hand?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entered GTD, I have swum 3.66 miles in 3 workouts on the 2,3 and 4. Fun!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:07 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm pondering signing up for The Color Run. It's about an hour from home, several of my friends are participating, and I can walk it, which has its perks.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:27 am

Upped my reps to a solid 320 (8 sets x 40) and 1.5 hour jog.

Also, discovered how to use Audacity!!! So I now don't have to listen to the same stuff - I can increase the tempo of my favorite songs so I can listen and keep pace (and it's almost ALWAYS increasing the tempo to about 150 bpm).

Those few pounds I gained during my early fall break are 90% gone, though I still have just a teeny bit of fat around my mid-section I'd like to tighten up. Hopefully, as the year progresses and I increase the intensity of my workout, that will also melt away.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anonplz
Also, discovered how to use Audacity!!! So I now don't have to listen to the same stuff - I can increase the tempo of my favorite songs so I can listen and keep pace (and it's almost ALWAYS increasing the tempo to about 150 bpm).
I'm not familiar with audacity...I'll have to look it up!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I had good intentions to get back to running and continue cycling this year, but unfortunately the pollution in the PHX area has really been bad for the past ~3 weeks.

I tried cycling one day last week. Just 2 miles in and my lungs could already feel the junk, so I headed home.
I've been doing spin class at the gym, and I guess I'll continue with that.

Heck, I've even been feeling it swimming with the team (pool is outside).

We just need some rain to clean things up
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
unfortunately the pollution in the PHX area has really been bad for the past ~3 weeks.
This happen a lot there?

SLC has a similar problem with their inversion. The air gets nasty thick for long durations. Of all the good things about Utah (SLC, Logan, etc) I was never able to get beyond the air quality issue and hence have never lived there.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
I ran the arizona rock and roll half marathon yesterday in 1:40 . It was a beautiful day in Phx

for the run.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jan 22, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by annerj
This happen a lot there?

SLC has a similar problem with their inversion. The air gets nasty thick for long durations. Of all the good things about Utah (SLC, Logan, etc) I was never able to get beyond the air quality issue and hence have never lived there.
I can't remember it being this bad for years, if ever at least since I've been here.

We've had unusually warm high temperatures, 75-80F, with almost normal low temperatures, 35-45F. That means that people have the heat on in the mornings/evenings, including some fireplaces (even though we're having, "no burn," days). There hasn't been rain for I'm guessing a month (at least since Christmas I think), and minimal wind. Combined that with normal everyday traffic, and unusually cold in the upper midwest (places like MN, WI, AB, MB, etc), have brought a much higher number of winter visitors (aka snowbirds) to the area.

Something similar happened one year when the Superbowl was here (I think way back in 1996). We had really really nasty pollution, and everyone was worried that the world would see the ugly side of PHX.
Fortunately, we had a small storm just 2-3 days prior, so the air was nice and clean for the event ^

We went out to Boyce Thompson Arboretum yesterday, about 45 min from home. Far enough out that the air was nice and clean (and a great place, with some good walking/hiking trails). On the return trip, we went over Gonzales Pass (on the US 60), and really got a great shot of the nasty brown cloud. It almost looked like a dust storm over the downtown PHX area to Camelback Mountain.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
I ran the arizona rock and roll half marathon yesterday in 1:40 . It was a beautiful day in PhD for the run.

Regards

TBS
I'm assuming you mean PHX, and not PHD

Sounds like a great time!

Did you run the race before they changed the course a few years ago? Most people preferred the downtown Phoenix to Tempe route -v- the loop that the half has now.

From others I know who did it, they also said great conditions, other than the pollution.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
I did mean PhX getting used to the smaller keyboard on the kindle fire.

I quite liked the course and did not notice any pollution.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:25 am

I'm currently taking a one-week break from my routine, for reasons having to do with, admittedly, some laziness but also I'm not having the time this week to dedicate to a good workout. I hope to get back to it starting next week.

Also, I am going to sign up for a gym next week, but only for a one month time frame (I have a gym near me that lets you do that, no contract).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
I ran the arizona rock and roll half marathon yesterday in 1:40 . It was a beautiful day in Phx
^ Solid time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.