Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:32 pm

Glad everyone posting is doing well after health issues. I seem to be blessed with generally good genetics -- all of the measures always seem stay in the good range -- not bad for the impending 51 later this year. But keeping healthy is one reason I turned myself from couch potato to endurance athlete several years ago. (Just completed my second Ironman two weeks ago today.)

Now to get my partner there. I am posting this from the Cleveland Clinic where he had quadruple bypass surgery two days ago. He was already down 83 pounds over the last year, but blockages are blockages so more was needed. I look forward to helping him work up to a 5k run (or walk) over the coming months. But even more to seeing him get into any regular exercise progam as well as lose the remaining 40 pounds in his goal.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh no! Good luck with that. I worry a lot about my husband, he is pretty sedentary and doesn't always take care of himself as he should, high b.p. runs in his family. :-(
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Trigs are the ones you can really bring down with diet..
High tri's can also be caused by an under-active thyroid (hypothyroiditis).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Rode Pedal the Plains. One of those trips where everything went right. Immersed in rural America.

Headed SE into the badlands where KS, CO and NB meet, one of my favorite places. Really love the arroyos with trees and homeplaces. Stayed in ChoiceHotel properties for great value and the latest perks. Then headed south to pick up an a "scratch and dent special" refrigerator I had found online, then over to Eads CO.

The Denver Post is very experienced at putting on rides and PtP is no exception. If anything, it was a little over-produced. I did get a little tired of being told we were so awesome for doing what essentially is a beginner ride. Flatland 70 mile days....meh.

However, for me, it was a perfect way to gauge my progress. Went pooty good! I rode real steady, 70 mile days @ +/-6hrs. Able to up the pace for last 20 miles each day and stand on the pedals at will. A little bonked, but very pleased. Bailed on the optional century, had no need or want. Staying fit and eating well are my goals. Type-A stuff can wait.

Oh yeah, I forgot my Polar HRM strap. However, I'm quite adept at monitoring my exertion from hours on the elliptical so this really wasn't an issue.

Large rides can get a little zooie, but riders were pretty respectful. All in all, great family fun.

----------------------------

ETA: Oh yeah, I must include: Eads, Lamar and La Junta really rolled out the red carpet!!!

----------------------------

Katya, there was one hand-cyclist participating. I picked up his address if you would like to be in touch. Said he'd love to do some group rides. PM if you wish.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Sep 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Rode Pedal the Plains. One of those trips where everything went right. Immersed in rural America.
Sounds like a great ride! Thanks for the write-up ^

You should come out and do one of these rides with me this fall:

* Tour de Scottsdale: http://www.tourdescottsdale.net/
(I'm doing the 70)

* El Tour de Tucson: http://www.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson/
(I'm doing the 111)

I did both of these last year and I highly recommend either/both of them. Both extremely well-run events. Many aid stations, although I didn't partake in any for Scottsdale, rode straight through. For Tucson I stopped a few times...there are 2 washes where you have to dismount and walk your bike through (I'd highly suggest using SPD pedals and mountain shoes).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Congrats on the PtP Pierre! In your honor I will now ride my bike 1 mile each way to return a library book And then come back & walk a mile.

I have figured out that I do better with getting any exercise done in the morning, as when I leave it for late afternoon I tend to not do it or do less.

Just back from bone density test; machine goes over your body (lumbar, hips). When it was over I saw some red on the screen & went uh-oh. She said it's just markers, but the red was on one side & not the other so not too sure about that. Radiologist will send the results to the GP (whom I've never met) & supposedly I'll get a call. If not I'll call next week.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:31 am

Got bone density results - and have been prescribed exercise, so now I have no excuse!

Have osteopeninie (I probably spelled it wrong). Early bone thinning in my left hip (they scanned my spine & my hips). Have to take 1200mg of calcium daily (600mg in morning & 600 in evening); also, vitamin D. And have to do load-bearing exercise, such as walking or weights. I used to take calcium but had switched to vitamin D. Guess I have to do both now. I have absolutely no idea if this is hereditary or not.

Since it's a lovely day outside, am going to comply w/ doc's orders & go for walk & bike ride (the latter not being load-bearing, but will help w/ knee mobility) before heading to physical therapy.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:01 pm

Osteopenia (which some people think is a trash diagnosis, FYI). It's generally considered a precursor to osteoporosis.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bike is in the shop for a major tune-up (haven't done it for a while), so I went to a city pool this morning for a solo swim (Chandler's Hamilton pool).

Before I got in the water, a guy who was getting out said, "it is pretty cold." I didn't really believe him...this pool has always been warm for me, even in winter they keep it pretty toasty.
That guy was right--I jumped in and felt pretty chilly. I had planned to take things easier today (had a pretty major 4000+ workout yesterday), but given the water temp I did another long swim/short rest type set. I got in 3600 yards in about an hour.

As I was getting out, a high school PE class was starting. I have no idea how those kids dealt with the cool water. Most hardly have any body fat.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Katja
Osteopenia (which some people think is a trash diagnosis, FYI). It's generally considered a precursor to osteoporosis.
Thanks for that. Given 2 broken bones this year not quite willing to say it's trash in my case, but it looks like it is something that will be helped w/ the calcium, vitD & exercise; better to know now when I can do something about it rather easily & hope to prevent it developing into full-blown osteo.

Need to do some TB stuff, but then going to head out for a walk & bike ride. Yest I drove the routes I've been doing so I'd have a better handle on mileage. The 3-month health club membership starts next Tuesday.

Still having problems with the ankle, although I think the knee is doing better. On a dif note - the p.t. had me try to do a squat yest - let's just say there are still some mobility issues as he literally burst out laughing. Only have 1 more appt w/ him though, as that's all I can afford since insurance doesn't pick it up.

Was at stores yesterday looking for bathing suit since both the fancy-schmancy health club & the aquatic center have pools, and I thought that might help with ankle. Given I now live in the Midwest finding a bathing suit end of September is turning out to be challenging. Will probably end up at a sports store & hope they carry them, plus it's been so long I've done pool-swimming I'm not sure I still have swimming goggles & cap so will probably need to buy those again too.

aztimm, when I lived at the beach in California I was always astounded how all the kids would go into the ocean even in winter when the adults were in wetsuits or only going into their knees because it was too cold I think it must be something about kids physiology, or they're just nuts

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Was at stores yesterday looking for bathing suit since both the fancy-schmancy health club & the aquatic center have pools, and I thought that might help with ankle. Given I now live in the Midwest finding a bathing suit end of September is turning out to be challenging. Will probably end up at a sports store & hope they carry them, plus it's been so long I've done pool-swimming I'm not sure I still have swimming goggles & cap so will probably need to buy those again too.
If you know your size (and I tread carefully with this, as it can be a sensitive topic for ladies), there are some awesome deals online on swimsuits right now. The tried-but-true Amazon has a decent selection, but SwimOutlet and Kiefer are both swim-specific sites with tons of options.

Heck, my size can vary from one manufacturer to another, as well as the style of suit. I mostly wear a 28 or 30 in a brief (aka a speedo), but for a dragsuit/squarecut I get a 34. I don't really care for jammers (they look more like bike shorts) because my legs are too thick or my waist too small to get a good fit.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
there are some awesome deals online on swimsuits right now. The tried-but-true Amazon has a decent selection, but SwimOutlet and Kiefer are both swim-specific sites with tons of options.

Heck, my size can vary from one manufacturer to another, as well as the style of suit.
Good to know re: the sites. My old suit when I used to swim laps was a Speedo, but I'm not even sure where it is. I think when I moved from CA to MI, I either tossed things or boxes got lost & I didn't notice or they're in the basement. I'll still check out local sports stores this weekend to see if they have any and/or get a handle on size, especially if it's different brand than Speedo. If they have suits on sale I might get it there. If they don't, then I'll check out the websites.

It will be interesting to see if swimming helps w/ the ankle. I know years ago when I tore my achilles tendon running it helped with recovery. I've got really tight calves/achilles. But I think someone posted (you?) swimming didn't help with ankle injury. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:03 pm

My cardiologist said my echo-stress test was normal. So, he's taking me off the Plavix and having me cut the Lipitor dose in half and told me to keep working on the weight.

Did 5 miles on the treadmill today. 1st mile at 10:05 and each mile after a bit faster. Mile 5 was @ 8:50 pace. I also did a nice long warm up and cool down of about a mile each. So my total was ~7 miles...i've managed a bit over 80 miles for the month. Hoping to get 100 next month...making some progress
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I buy almost all my suits and my kids' too at Swim Outlet.

Chilly water- my 11 year old is 85 pounds, nearly 5 feet tall. She does open water swims- I think the coldest was down around 65. I have no idea how she does it, she has NO body fat.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by CalVol
My cardiologist said my echo-stress test was normal. So, he's taking me off the Plavix and having me cut the Lipitor dose in half and told me to keep working on the weight.

Did 5 miles on the treadmill today. 1st mile at 10:05 and each mile after a bit faster. Mile 5 was @ 8:50 pace. I also did a nice long warm up and cool down of about a mile each. So my total was ~7 miles...i've managed a bit over 80 miles for the month. Hoping to get 100 next month...making some progress
Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.