Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anonplz
Take it easy, amigo - you do NOT want a repetitive motion injury, or if you get the beginnings of one, you may want to think about diversifying your workout even more than it probably is right now.
Solid advice

I don't want any injury at all.

Diversity is something I do think about and take seriously. I'll always strive for more but its easy to get stuck in ruts even with what seems like a varied workout (my normal mix):
Spin (winter)/ Bike (summer)
Row
Crossfit type circuits
Weights
Plyo
etc
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Okay, setting a new goal for myself - 400 situps/400 pushups, 1.5 hours jog, either per session, or else, alternating through the week, with one day off. As a goal, this means between now and some future point - I'm going to map it out tomorrow. In other words, I'm currently at 270 each, and about 1 hour of jogging per session.

Last edited by anonplz; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:13 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, setting a new goal for myself - 400 situps/400 pushups, 1.5 hours jog, either per session, or else, alternating through the week, with one day off. As a goal, this means between now and some future point - I'm going to map it out tomorrow. In other words, I'm currently at 270 each, and about 1 hour of jogging per session.
Nice. Let us know how it builds up.

What kind of distance are you getting in for a 1 hour jog?

*I hit 497 pushups during my last chest/back/abs workout. Guess I'll break 500 next time this workout cycles back into the rotation (5 weeks I think). that workout is
standard pushups (all with pushup bars)
Wide front pull ups
military pushups
reverse grip pulls ups
wide fly pushups
closed grip over hand pull ups
decline pushups
"heavy pants" 50 pounds each
diamond pushups
lawnmowers 5o pounds each
dive bomber pushups
back flies
then repeat them all
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
What kind of distance are you getting in for a 1 hour jog?
I don't honestly know - I tried to use that app on my smartphone that measures steps taken and distance, but it REALLY failed - I'm not sure why. My route varies with almost every single jog - sometimes people will be blocking the sidewalk, other times, everything's torn up by construction, other times I need to stop to get coffee beans or whatever, so it's always a bit different - on balance I guesstimate it's about 3-4 miles, maybe more on a good day.

Originally Posted by annerj
*I hit 497 pushups during my last chest/back/abs workout. Guess I'll break 500 next time this workout cycles back into the rotation (5 weeks I think). that workout is
standard pushups (all with pushup bars)
Wide front pull ups
military pushups
reverse grip pulls ups
wide fly pushups
closed grip over hand pull ups
decline pushups
"heavy pants" 50 pounds each
diamond pushups
lawnmowers 5o pounds each
dive bomber pushups
back flies
then repeat them all
Wow. Superman, huh?

Last edited by anonplz; Dec 10, 2013 at 4:32 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I don't honestly know - I tried to use that app on my smartphone that measures steps taken and distance, but it REALLY failed - I'm not sure why. My route varies with almost every single jog - sometimes people will be blocking the sidewalk, other times, everything's torn up by construction, other times I need to stop to get coffee beans or whatever, so it's always a bit different - on balance I guesstimate it's about 3-4 miles, maybe more on a good day.
Even if you're doing a slow jog, I'm guessing you're holding at least a 12 min/mile pace, probably more likely 10 min/mile. Which would put you around 5-6 miles.

When I was at my peak running shape, I did a 10k in around 45 min.
For a normal run, I had a route to a park from home, did about 7 miles in an hour, with my dog (we'd both stop to drink in the park).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:14 am

I agree with the comment above that you are probably doing more. At 20 min/mile you would probably consider that walking. As long as you remember your route afterward, you can quickly plot it on gmap-pedometer.com or mapmyrun.com to see the actual mileage. Might be worth it to get a better sense of your normal pace.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Even if you're doing a slow jog, I'm guessing you're holding at least a 12 min/mile pace, probably more likely 10 min/mile. Which would put you around 5-6 miles.
Originally Posted by dfwoods
As long as you remember your route afterward, you can quickly plot it on gmap-pedometer.com or mapmyrun.com to see the actual mileage. Might be worth it to get a better sense of your normal pace.
Thanks to you both - I mapped it on mapmyrun, and it's actually 5 miles, and also yes, it's a slow jog, more like a mall walkabout thing, because I want to keep the exercise low-impact. I keep pace with the rhythm, back straight and motionless as possible, shoulders back, head up, keeping the workout rigorous for my legs, rather than kind of throwing my body forward reluctantly, as joggers sometimes seem to be doing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have your phone with you you can run mapmyrun in gps logging mode to get a really accurate log of your pace and distance.

I find it fascinating how my pace picks up as I warm up, without me even trying. Last run of 4.60 miles-

1 mi 09:38 min/mi
2 mi 09:31 min/mi
3 mi 09:25 min/mi
4 mi 08:59 min/mi
4.7 mi 08:58 min/mi
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't honestly know - I tried to use that app on my smartphone that measures steps taken and distance, but it REALLY failed - I'm not sure why.
If you care to track, Strava has a decent app. The newest version is better on the battery (I can track a 3 or so hour bike ride before it kills my phone).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This week at our mon/wed class we pulled an old workout from a hat.

I ended up with one I did last in september:
225 meters row
10 squat jacks
10 burpees
10 pushups
10 spider mans
10 sphinx pusups
225 meter row
9 of each exercise
225 meter row
8 of each exercise
225 meter row
7 of each exercise
1 of each exercise

shaved nearly 3 minutes off my time September time. If I pull this workout again I'll start going back up 2..3..4 and see where I end at for the full September time.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
In an attempt to make my runs more interesting I have decided to run the outline of each of the 50 states. This started because I use MapMyRun to track by GPS and I post the maps to Facebook after my run. A friend thought one run looked exactly like Oregon. Now I post my run every day and my friend tries to figure out what state I'm going for. For example today it was a 3.05 mile run in 27.5 minutes:

Yes, the lake is out of proportion, but I'm working with the street layout around my neighborhood and doing the best I can. :-)
My wife was looking at the map of my run today burst into laughter. She said it looks like someone giving the ol middle finger salute.

Haven't been posting much, but I have been continuing the workouts. Today was 6.5 mile.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ms-random.html

Last edited by CalVol; Dec 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
My goal this week is to go to the gym every weekday, skip Friday, then do yoga with a friend on Sunday. I think my father and I are skiing Christmas Day. Hopefully we'll be skiing Mont Tremblant on February 28 or March 1.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Monday morning:
800 meter row
50 squat jacks
50 split lunge (each leg)
50 push ups
50 knee to elbow crunches

4 rounds

A full 3 minutes slower than I did the same in October. I was the only one to show up for row this am after that workout....everyone I heard from was "too sore" ...nice! To their benefit we all also did spin Monday night but most of them had a 5 mile run in the afternoon that I didn't.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bought and started p90x3. Almost a week in and so far I'm not impressed. The workouts are all 30 minute ones and just, IMO, not as intense/good as the orginal p90x.

There are move "athletic" movements in these. In p90x its more traditional moves (pushups,pullsup,curls,etc)...in this there are more sportcentric (is that a word?) moves....my agility isn't great so hopefully I'll benefit from this over time.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
After I logged my swim workout this morning, the USMS system told me that I had swum 501.13 miles for the year!

For the past 5-6 years, Nike has sponsored the USMS, "Go the Distance." When you reach different milestones, you get different prizes (a cap at 50 miles, a mesh bag at 250, and a suit at 500. there's stuff at 750, 1000, and I think more but I'll never swim that much).

This is my 4th year doing this program. The first year I logged about 410 miles, but have gone over 500 for the past 3. It isn't necessarily difficult, but isn't really easy either to hit 500 miles. If you take 2 weeks vacation a year, that means you'd need to hit 10 miles/week for the other 50 weeks. Some weeks I might have swum 15 miles, and yes there were a couple with 0 (mostly when sick).
After that first year, I made it a goal to hit 500 miles and get that suit. It really isn't anything special, (for men) a choice of a brief or jammer, you can select size/color... but it is the whole aspect of earning it

Doing this program has made me get out of bed for workouts on some cold/dark winter mornings (yes it does get cold in PHX, we had a few mornings with lows around 20F, and the pool is outside, water is heated). It has also enticed me to swim when I travel (I swam at a few pools in London this year, and hit some workouts while in the Cleveland area too).

I'll do it again next year. My team's annual 100 x 100 LCM (long course meter) swim is next Saturday, 1/4/2014. After that I'll have a nice extra ~6 miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.