Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dfwoods
I think you will find that biking endurance builds quickly. I am sure that you will be at the 30 mile range in no time. Despite focusing on marathons this year, I find myself still a cyclist at heart. Nothing beats a nice day on the bike
I think you're right. I can go from nearly no cycling to doing 30 to 50+ miles in almost no time (depending on elevation of course). Where for running or swimming it takes a bit longer to build that up.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:28 pm

After not training for a month while traveling in New Zealand (well, I did a bunch of pushups), I did this year's first sprint triathlon (my local Longmont triathlon). Given the choice between doing a triathlon trained and untrained, I'd advise training. It was still fun.

Next weekend: this year's first 10K. Still not much training under my belt.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Katja
Given the choice between doing a triathlon trained and untrained, I'd advise training.
Glad it was fun anyway & good luck!

We'll see how the bike endurance goes for me. My butt's sore after 4'ish miles! BTW - I did figure out the gears a bit to get up some short distance wise (like a block or so) inclines that still had a bit of a steep angle, but I truly don't get how anyone can do that going up a mountain

Meeting a friend on Sunday to do a 6-mile r.t. While not long (again, compared to the rest on this board), it does have some ups/downs so will really have to try & sort out the gear thing - or get off & walk! She & I rode this past Sunday & did similar distance wise (but flat); she wanted to stop a couple of times & drink some water. Her bike I think is a short 3-speed mountain bike? Mine is taller & 21 gears - not that I really know how to use them. The left side stays in the 2 position & the right in the 4 position for the most part. So that might have made a difference btwn her & me in terms of ease of biking.

I must admit, to my chagrin, that I've gotten woefully out of shape, so am hoping this summer will kick start me back into exercising regularly & getting back in shape. Yesterday I had to go to the post office & then to another place. I could have taken the car, but decided to bike. Baby steps, baby steps!

PS - there's a lot of walkers & bikers where I live. I figure if the 80 year olds can do it so can I

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:24 pm

Hey, I did a longer bike ride! When we got to where our original turn point was I felt fresh, so suggested going on & friend agreed. The return we went a bit slower but not due to me. My friend's bike I think made it harder or she was tired. I thought I'd need to do some gear shifting, but I was able to handle the inclines without it. Will take the car tomorrow and retrace our ride so that I know how long it was distance wise. Maybe I will be able to do the 30 miles by end of summer!

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ran 8 miles this morning. I am so tired tonight, nothing hurts just TIRED. I've been adding 1/2 mile a week to my Sunday runs. So far it is going good, averaging 9:30/mile and my pace actually picks up in the latter part of the run. I am not carrying any water, today I planned my route so that I had a local park at 2, 4 and 6 miles. I will need to strategize for race day as the half marathon only has 4 aid stations.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:39 pm

My Weekend Exercise

We did the ACS Relay for Life this weekend. At the last minute, a pilot buddy of mine told me he was going to be flying over and I asked him to take a few photos. Then I got the idea to do this....

The "H" is a little crooked and the "E" is a little thin...but it turned out alright considering.

We had about 5 minutes from the time he called me to the time he was overhead...I learned what it was like herding cats.

I was the entertainment chair so I was "running" from 9 AM to 9 PM. I probably got in 3-4 miles just shuttling from one place to another helping out with different things.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:46 pm

Nice!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hey, I did a longer bike ride! Will take the car tomorrow and retrace our ride so that I know how long it was distance wise. Maybe I will be able to do the 30 miles by end of summer!
Drove the route with the car & it was 11 miles round trip. Baby steps; baby steps. Doing a smaller bike ride today, but with 25mph winds it might seem longer!

Originally Posted by CalVol
We did the ACS Relay for Life this weekend. At the last minute, a pilot buddy of mine told me he was going to be flying over and I asked him to take a few photos. Then I got the idea to do this....
The "H" is a little crooked and the "E" is a little thin...but it turned out alright considering.
Cool!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:03 am

Did the 11 mile this past Sunday & my friend said hey next week we should do the 15 mile. Given we've just started doing the 11 mile & she needs to stop a few times, I said I think we should work up to 15 mile Did the 11 mile yest by myself with no stops, but had massive head winds (t-storms coming in shortly after) on the return which made it less fun even if scenic.

Haven't decided if I'll walk or ride today or both, but if I ride might do the 5 mile as my knees were a bit sore yest (the one I broke last year seems to be slightly restricted on motion compared to the good one).

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:46 am

Did the 11 mile again w/ no stops. Return definitely slower than outbound. Got smoked by some of the bikers w/ the fancy-schmancy bikes/attire, but that's to be expected. I'm just starting to bike again & they've obviously been doing it for a while. My derriere is definitely sore by the end, so I might have to buy some of those padded shorts. I don't think my gym shorts or sweats from Target are cutting it

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't think my gym shorts or sweats from Target are cutting it
Real bike shorts do indeed make a HUGE difference. Well and a seat like you'll see on one of those fancy bikes.

When I started riding, I balked at the thought of paying that much for shorts. But then I got a pair as a gift (thanks to Amazon's wishlist). After wearing them, I had a tough time wearing cheap shorts again.

Once I figured out what I wanted/liked, I looked for deals, setup Amazon alerts, etc.

When I'm out on a 4-5 hour ride, I want to wear something that I'll be comfortable in. Especially if there's hills, I'm always thankful that I'm wearing some good shorts.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did a 9 mile run this morning. Set out at 6:45 and was home by 8:15 including two park pit stops. Feeling a bit tired and sore but not too bad. Not feeling hungry at all, which seems odd. After I swim I am ravenous.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Did a 9 mile run this morning. Set out at 6:45 and was home by 8:15 including two park pit stops. Feeling a bit tired and sore but not too bad. Not feeling hungry at all, which seems odd. After I swim I am ravenous.
The after-running hunger usually sets in an hour or so later for me. I certainly don't stuff myself, but I'll usually eat a breakfast sandwich or some granola/yogurt about an hour after I finish. Cycling is very similar.

Don't know what it is about swimming, but I'm usually famished after a workout. The longer the more. I eat a protein bar as soon as I get in my car to leave the pool.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ran 12 miles yesterday. 2 weeks from my half-marathon. 12 miles took me 2:05 start to finish, including 2 bathroom/water breaks. I carried nothing with me and drank only only water during the run, as is my plan for the half. Had the same light breakfast before starting. Seemed to work well and I'm sure adding one mile will be fine. They actually have 5 aid stations, so I should be ok on that front. Getting excited! http://www.finishlineproduction.com/...fMarathon.html
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:13 am

Good luck!

I've been doing some walking & biking, alternating. I was doing really well, but slacked a bit.

Need to do more, as I can feel the blot clot from sitting at desk too much. Don't want it to develop into a full-blown one like last year.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.