Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by GBeckman
I have the utmost respect for those who can run on the treadmill regularly, especially longer runs. I was forced inside today for my 12 miler thanks to bitter cold and heavy snow. Ugh. That was pretty miserable.
I had a choice yesterday of 10 miles on the treadmill or 10 miles outside with the possibility of rain. I even researched TV schedules so that I'd be sure to have something to keep me occupied on the t-mill.

In the end, I chose outside. I was soaked to the bone and cold, but my 10 miles were done ^
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have the utmost respect for those who can run on the treadmill regularly, especially longer runs. I was forced inside today for my 12 miler thanks to bitter cold and heavy snow. Ugh. That was pretty miserable.
I dont mind shorter treadmill runs, up to 5 miles or so. Beyond that, weather has to be pretty bad to keep me inside. Ive done 1 15-miler on a treadmill and it was a chore, but planned with music, tvs at the gym, etc. Since I live in the Phoenix area, weather usually isnt an issue, except for warm temps in summer.

Sometimes it is just a matter of planning, I want to lift after running, or it is dark outside. Since I sprained my ankle, Im a bit more cautious with running outside in the dark.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
Ok, so for those of you who regularly run on the treadmill...have you ever had issues with side stitches? I struggled with the last two miles or so of Sunday's run, and today I had to stop at 6 of my planned 9. Right around mile 5, they kicked in and I couldn't get through it. It stops immediately if I slow to a walk, but within a minute of starting running again, it's back. I even tried running super slow (like 4 mph!) and it didn't help. I've never had issues like this except on the treadmill. I might be kind of screwed if I can't get this figured out, since our weather is a big ol' load of crap at the moment.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Ok, so for those of you who regularly run on the treadmill...have you ever had issues with side stitches? I struggled with the last two miles or so of Sunday's run, and today I had to stop at 6 of my planned 9. Right around mile 5, they kicked in and I couldn't get through it. It stops immediately if I slow to a walk, but within a minute of starting running again, it's back. I even tried running super slow (like 4 mph!) and it didn't help. I've never had issues like this except on the treadmill. I might be kind of screwed if I can't get this figured out, since our weather is a big ol' load of crap at the moment.
Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I can't say I've experienced that. You don't get then running outside? Are you doing something different with your arms?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:53 am
Suspended

Feel a bit weird today after the swine flu shot and my left-arm has gone numb so there'll be no rowing but two days without going to the gym and I've just gotta get back in there and work off some energy.
90 cv work and a swim should put things right.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
So far today:
2.5 mile swim so hell of a lot of turns in a 25m pool.
20 miles cycling on the turbo so lots of sweat

Later tonight a 5 mile jog / walk planned.

Another 140 days of this to go in preperation for the event below.

I do look foward to my rest days but there aren't enough of them.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I can't say I've experienced that. You don't get then running outside? Are you doing something different with your arms?
I can only remember getting side stitches while running outside one time, and that was during a tri and I was in the middle of a complete bonk. Other than that, I don't remember it ever happening. I could be doing something different with my arms, I'm not sure. Actually, I probably swing them more on the tm. I did try experimenting with my abs and keeping them tight, trying to keep them relaxed, etc., and that didn't help. The arms could be it, though...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:29 pm

Mostly taking it easy after the marathon. Doing the "reverse taper" where each week I add in a bit more running and a bit more speed. I'm up to runs of about an hour or so but still no trackwork. Legs feel good although I can tell that I am still in recovery. They say it takes a full month to recover. I believe it!

I've also been spending a lot of time in NYC for work related stuff so I've been enjoying running in the park and along the Hudson (stay on the upper west side). Today I did a 8.5 mile run along the Hudson in a southernly direction. A little busy with the piers and such, but it was pleasant. The cold weather was annoying though!

Splits and totals:

Splits:

1 0:07:24
2 0:06:59
3 0:07:08
4 0:07:22
5 0:06:55
6 0:06:45
7 0:06:59
8 0:07:16
9 0:04:24

Totals: 8.51 miles, 1:01:16 total time, 7:11 pace.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:30 pm

I can only remember getting side stitches while running outside one time, and that was during a tri and I was in the middle of a complete bonk. Other than that, I don't remember it ever happening. I could be doing something different with my arms, I'm not sure. Actually, I probably swing them more on the tm. I did try experimenting with my abs and keeping them tight, trying to keep them relaxed, etc., and that didn't help. The arms could be it, though...
I've definitely noticed that side stitches and shoulder stitches often tend to correlate with me doing something different with my arms. Even something as simple as holding an ipod or keys can make my arm tense up and give me occasional problems.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:42 pm

I think I may have figured out the cause, although that doesn't help me at all with how to fix it. Most of my outdoor runs are with the stroller, and I tend to keep my right arm (which is the side that I got the stitches) on the stroller, so it doesn't move much. I guess maybe next time I run on the tm, I'll try to stay conscious of it and not move my right arm very much? At least we're warmed up a bit now. I ran 9 yesterday outside. It was 11 when I started. Brr. My poor kid was so bundled up in the stroller, he could barely move. Think Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
It's been waaaay too long since I've checked in here. I haven't been riding at all, what with the return to PST. I'll be better after the holidays, as I start ramping to ride next spring and summer!

I think I may have figured out the cause, although that doesn't help me at all with how to fix it. Most of my outdoor runs are with the stroller, and I tend to keep my right arm (which is the side that I got the stitches) on the stroller, so it doesn't move much. I guess maybe next time I run on the tm, I'll try to stay conscious of it and not move my right arm very much?
I googled and found these two articles (among others):

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2sidestitches.asp

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html

They both basically point to your breathing, which sounds right to me. I think the only thing to remember about your arm position as you run is to keep your elbows at about a 90-degree angle, but keep your shoulders and the rest of your arms loose. That was always my running style anyways ...

But it seems at least possible to me that if your treadmill is located somewhere without adequate ventilation, you could be unconsciously changing your breathing patterns to compensate.

My poor kid was so bundled up in the stroller, he could barely move. Think Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story.
You mean Randy. Y'know, I laugh as hard as I did the first time on every single subsequent viewing of that movie! I've got to schedule of viewing sometime before Christmas!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:13 pm

Had sinus infection and strep last week so no workouts.

Today:
3x5 (last set max reps) press
95x105x115(11)

3x10 25lb dips

3x10 pullups
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:39 pm

I had a really fantastic 18 mile run today. More than makes up for my crappy 16 two weeks ago! I actually think I might be able to do this marathon thing, now.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:23 am

I had a really fantastic 18 mile run today. More than makes up for my crappy 16 two weeks ago! I actually think I might be able to do this marathon thing, now.
^
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Still on my Europe trip, but heading back to the US tomorrow (as long as my UA flights are a go). Not too many workouts over the past 2 weeks or so, but here's a quick summary of what I did get in--
* Munich on Tues Dec 1, about 3000m @ the Olympic swimming pool
* Toledo, Spain on Wed Dec 10, a 5k treadmill run, and very little bit of weights and abs
* Toledo, Spain on Thurs Dec 11...a 4 mile run out in town (was looking for a track but ended up doing a loop on roads), then a full weights set in the hotel workout room
* Barcelona on Friday Dec 12: about 2800m @ the Olympic training pool at Mountjuic (note tons of escalators to get up to it)
* Munich today, 3100m @ the Olympic swimming pool

My ankle isn't quite 100%, I notice a little stiffness when I'm going down stairs, but probably 90-95%. The mostly rest on the vacation (other than walking ~5 miles a day) has helped it a bit. I'll try to get out to run Thurs night, then see how much I can get in Sunday (hopefully 8 miles or so). The cost for my possible Feb marathon (in Apache Junction, AZ out on the east side of the Phoenix area) goes up 1/1, so if I feel I can make it, I'll register this year. At this point, if I do it, the goal would be to finish, hopefully better than my Phoenix finish time. This is a bit more challenging course...with, "Montezuma's Revenge," (a serious climb) towards the end. The longer runs would help me drop my weight back down to a more reasonable level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.