Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
A 45 minutes Swim in a crowded pool that slowed me right down. 1500m is I am lucky. Why do idiots go in the fast lane and half other peoples swim speed?

20 miles on the turbo nice and steady but too icy out to make it a brick session.

Got to build up the base miles now as only about 120 days to go until IM Utah.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:55 pm

Today-
3x5 deadlift (last set to failure)
225x250x280(8)
5x10 75lb good mornings
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by aztimm

Still debating if I want to register and run the Lost Dutchman Marathon. There's 48 days, which would give me a full 2-3 more long runs, with a 2-3 week taper. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post.
Seems a bit aggressive to me given how you're just not getting back into form after the injury, or is there a half marathon as well?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
20 mile run, in the bag! ^

Holy cold, windy, snowy run, though! Seriously. I spent at least 2/3 of it trudging through 2-3" of fresh, drifting powder. That's GOT to be the equivalent of at LEAST 22-23 desert miles, right?

It's taper time, hooray!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by CT-UK
A 45 minutes Swim in a crowded pool that slowed me right down. 1500m is I am lucky. Why do idiots go in the fast lane and half other peoples swim speed?
I normally swim with a masters swim group, but when traveling, I'll take pool time whenever I can get it. Swimming during lap swim really makes me appreciate the somewhat orderly format of being on a team. Although most of the lap swimmers at the Munich Olympic pool (50m) were pretty fast, my speed or faster.

How long has your longest swim been? Every year, there's 10-20 (I think 15 this year) people who begin the AZ Ironman but don't complete the swim in the 2-1/2 hour cutoff (for a 2.4 mile swim). That's quite an expensive swim.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Seems a bit aggressive to me given how you're just not getting back into form after the injury, or is there a half marathon as well?
They have nearly every running option imaginable, from a full marathon down to a 2-mile fun run, and everything in between. But for me, it is either a full or none.

I've been back running for about 2-1/2 to 3 months. (just looked through my online workout blog and I did 3 miles on a treadmill on 10/1, but my first real outside run was 5-1/2 miles on Oct 25). I haven't been posting regularly on here because I was frustrated with my initial progress. But I had my scheduled monthly massage today, and the therapist thinks I'm ready (she actually said I could do PHX/PF Chang's). There are 6 weekends left between now and this Lost Dutchman marathon--
* this weekend, 15-16 miles, then next 17-18, and finally try for a 20
* 3 weeks of taper down

My massage therapist is actually doing both PF Chang's plus this Lost Dutchman (plus some sort of trail run marathon in Cave Creek in between and a 50k run this weekend). Her time she said should be around 4:10, so I can run with her through much of it, then break away toward the end if I want.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:49 am

Given what you have written that's still not much long running at all. I guess I'd rather see you start a full training program with lots of high mileage weeks, multiple 20 mile runs, etc., so that you can really put in a good effort at the race. I have no doubt that you'd be able to muster through and finish, but I think you have a very good time in you and I'd like to see you start working hard toward it!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm just not into running as much as others, and since my injury, I've learned to accept that any long-term plan can quickly come crashing to a halt. The thought of doing several 20+ mile training runs just made my stomach turn. One I can stomach, beyond that, no.

Of course, it would be fantastic to turn out a Boston-qualifying marathon finish time. But injury, real-world, and other sports all compete for my time. I don't see a benefit to getting faster running, and giving up swimming, causing me to just hate the thought of having to do a training run. Running is still something I enjoy doing, and I want to keep it that way. I hated running so much after I got out of the Army that I just stopped for too long, and just recently began to appreciate it again.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:47 pm

That's cool. In that case, I say sign up and nail that sucker!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
Also had problems with shifting. On past bikes, the gear shifters were in the middle, on this they're with the brakes. I could figure out how to downshift, but not upshift. Just called the bike shop, and they told me I need to push the lever and the brake to the side to upshift (I seem like such an idiot).

I had the same problem when I first picked up my road bike! I rode it home in the same gear because I couldn't figure out how to shift.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Just finished a nice 8 miler on the trails before the sun went away. It's been hard to motivate to get out of bed at 5:30am in this cold, dark, windy weather. And most of my running buddies are on vacation last week/this week. When I saw the email this am about getting in a trail run at 3pm I juggled my schedule and left the office for a few hours. Now back in the office for a bit. I'm definitely in winter slack mode.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:36 pm

Hooked up speedwork on the treadmill today. Way too cold to run outside (low 20s + 30mph winds).

Started with 1.5 miles of warmup at 8:30 pace.

Then did 6x800 @ 5:56/mile pace.

Totals: 7.02 miles, 57:00 total time.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:01 pm

Hooked up speedwork on the treadmill today. Way too cold to run outside (low 20s + 30mph winds).
Wimp! I went outside! Weather was similar here. 25F when I went outside and very windy.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by dukeman
Wimp!
I do not disagree with this assessment.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:11 pm

I do not disagree with this assessment.

I don't mind the cold. Much prefer the cold to the hot. Actually, I think we have this conversation annually. I'm in shorts until the temp is below 30F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.