Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Nice and easy 6 mile recovery run on a hilly course. Felt good.

Splits:

Split Time
1 0:07:37
2 0:08:03
3 0:07:46
4 0:07:57
5 0:07:43
6 0:08:02
7 0:00:07

Summary 0:47:18 total time, 6.01 total mileage, 7:52/mile average pace
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Based on what you've been posting here, especially with pushing a stroller, I think you can easily do the Phoenix PF Chang's marathon in 4:15 to 4:30. But I don't think they'll let you push a stroller on the course

It is a very flat course, and very fun. Bands every mile or so, cheer squads, and tons of locals out. I was really surprised at the huge community involvement. Plus you run on major roads...Camelback Road from 24th to 44th Street, Indian School Rd from 48th St out to Scottsdale...

I'm gonna play it by ear for a bit, see how quickly I recover from my sprained ankle. But it would be great to meet you while you're in town. Let me know if you need any ideas for places to stay, or things to see while here.

Thanks for all the info! That sounds about right from what I've heard for the course. I kind of wanted my first 26.2 to be a rock n' roll race, just because I've heard the courses are fun, with the bands and good support. If I'm gonna be miserable, I at least want to be entertained! I have a friend in town that I'm staying with, as well as some family that I haven't seen in about 10 years, so I'm pretty excited for that. Hopefully I have time to do a little sightseeing since I've never been to your fair city, but it's probably going to be a pretty quick trip!

First "official" run of marathon training this morning, 4 miles with friends and kids. We must have been quite a sight...there were SIX of us, all pushing strollers down the trail this morning.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:14 pm

So how did you do? You can't just post that here without results
Oh, sorry!

I did least possible to still score in the excellent range, which was:
8 pullups
38 situps
46 pushups

The run, as you all know, is my weakness. On the run I was buckets of fail.
13:02

BTW, only 1 minute rest between exercises.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Summary 1:39:33 13.3 7:29/mile average pace
...and most importantly, you felt good at the end.

Remember this at mile 20 or so when you might start to doubt yourself -- you really can do it! I don't mean that in a "you can do anything you put your mind to" sense (that's a bunch of crap). I mean that in a "you have trained your body well enough to do this" sense.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
...and most importantly, you felt good at the end.

Remember this at mile 20 or so when you might start to doubt yourself -- you really can do it! I don't mean that in a "you can do anything you put your mind to" sense (that's a bunch of crap). I mean that in a "you have trained your body well enough to do this" sense.
Hells yes baby! That is my mantra. I know I have trained to hit this pace for 26.2. I have the training in my body. I can do this. ^
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by law dawg
Oh, sorry!

I did least possible to still score in the excellent range, which was:
8 pullups
38 situps
46 pushups

The run, as you all know, is my weakness. On the run I was buckets of fail.
13:02

BTW, only 1 minute rest between exercises.
That sounds pretty good.

Certainly different than the Army PT test. Maybe I should try it. I've seen some National Guard people running along the canal a few times when I've been out running. They have the 2-mile course all measured out and painted.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:00 am

Question for all you expert runners or others who've recovered from injuries... How long did it take you to get back?
While I'm mostly progressing well with my ankle, I don't want to push things too much. I'm thinking of making my Sunday run about 7-8 miles, and going up about 1-2 miles a week. If I can do that, I should be able to do the marathon in January. (now knowing GBeckman will be here, along with a co-worker, I'm feeling some peer pressure).
Anyone want to share if you think I should/shouldn't plan for the marathon?
I could do the half, but I'd rather not have to deal with 20,000 other runners over the course. The 8-9,000 on the full marathon course is bad enough.
Funny, I've never been injured this bad before, or not at least where I really wanted to get back like this.
My ankle injury took a solid year before I felt completely right again. And that was after both PT (although I didn't go as religiously as you do) and custom orthotics. Even to this day I'll be running and feel a little twinge in the ankle every once in awhile. My advice would just be cautious. I would start by building up some miles with a lot of treadmill work (cushioning) and then see how you feel in a month or so.

Just don't do too much too quickly. Remember the 10% rule!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Thanks MS, I appreciate it. Think I'll stick with my original plan to wait another month (just before my Europe trip) and see how things are. Last thing I want to happen is 'having' to workout when I'm not feeling well, since I'm already registered...that's what got me injured to begin with.

And I'm done with my formal PT. When I go to the gym, I try to replicate some of the drills I did at PT, into almost every workout. I'm not burning hundreds of calories, or building huge muscles, but these stability exercises make it more possible to do other exercises that will.

BTW, those ladder drills can be quite exhausting, especially done fast. I'm sure I look like an idiot while I'm doing them, but who cares.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:40 pm

Pouring freezing rain up here in NH, where I am for a few days, so I went inside for my speedwork today. Kind of annoying as I was planning on doing hill repeats on Mount Sunapee, which would have been cool. Alas, that will have to wait for another day.

This workout was a bit schizophrenic.. started off with a mini tempo run for about 30 mins and then did intervals the next 30. Not sure why I decided to do this.. I have no explanation. It ended up being a tough workout though.

Splits:

1: 7:30
2: 7:00
3: 6:44
4: 6:27

Then I did a bit of recovery with run/walk/water drinking...

Followed by 4 800s:

1: 6:14 pace
2: 6:14 pace
3: 6:07 pace
4: 5:58 pace

Then cooldown with run/walk combo.

Totals: 7.62 miles, 1:00:00 total time, 7:52/mile average pace.

Tomorrow I plan on doing a short recovery run and then either a hike or rowing machine for cross-x.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
Anyone want to share if you think I should/shouldn't plan for the marathon?
If you don't mind the price increases for registration, you could start training and just see how it goes. I'd hate to put the money down and things not work out, though. It always seems to take longer than you think it will. I had knee surgery a year ago, and my surgeon told me I would be running within 2-3 weeks. Um, yeah. More like very light jog/walk intervals starting around 4 weeks, and even that was ridiculously difficult. Sure, I did a race at 8 weeks post-op, but I wogged it and it wasn't pretty (but it was fun!).

This little blizzard thing we have going on is putting a crimp in my marathon training style. Nothing like having to resort to the dreadmill in the very first week...although I guess better now while the distances are still pretty short! 4 miles on the dreadmill, followed up with a kind-of-lame spin class. Here's hoping the sidewalks/trails melt off sufficiently for my 12 miler this weekend...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:25 pm

Today-
55lb Tabata kettlebell swing
10x9x8x8x8x8x7x6=64
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:28 pm

That sounds pretty good.

Certainly different than the Army PT test. Maybe I should try it. I've seen some National Guard people running along the canal a few times when I've been out running. They have the 2-mile course all measured out and painted.
It's broken down by age - the older you are the more time you have on the run and fewer reps you have to do in the exercises.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: CO Silver
Second marathon done. I took almost 11 minutes off of my previous marathon time, finishing in 3:48. I was on track for 3:40 up until miles 22-23 or so when the wheels came off. To top it off, I was battling a cold. I didn't feel bad during the run, but the day before my nose was running a lot and I was very sneezy. My confidence the night before was very low. I still have a cough today.

I'll do a short 6 miles this weekend, then a 25K race (that I won't race) the weekend after. This will be the start of training for my next marathon in January.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:40 pm

Nice and easy recovery run from speedwork yesterday. Felt good.

Totals: 7.20 miles, 1:00:30 total time, 8:24/mile average pace.

Then I did a 3 mile hike with the dogs.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
Second marathon done. I took almost 11 minutes off of my previous marathon time, finishing in 3:48. I was on track for 3:40 up until miles 22-23 or so when the wheels came off. To top it off, I was battling a cold..
Very very nice effort!! Congrats. ^ You'll be breaking 3:40 (or 3:30) in no time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.