Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Aeon ATM's charge free for Visa & MC both ?

Hi Guys,

Based on what I read here I started withdrawing thb using an Aeon ATM which is located near my house.. no trxn charges were ever levied ^
Told the same to a colleague of mine and he has been charged equivalent of thb 150 for each of his withdrawls.. I use a Visa card and he also uses a similar card from the same Bank but is charged..

Any clue ..
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:00 am

He doesn't know his Aeon from his elbow.

Or his account attracts charges that your's doesn't and he's mistaken one of these for an ATM charge.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ft101
He doesn't know his Aeon from his elbow.

Or his account attracts charges that your's doesn't and he's mistaken one of these for an ATM charge.
hmmm..
I also assumed this confusion..
BUT he went to the location where there is only 1 ATM and thats from Aeon ..
And secondly, he has never been charged till now and this was the 1st time he used Aeon and has been charged within a few days ..
Other banks usually charge 150 immediately as its included in the debit for the withdrawl..( if 10000thb is withdrawn, then 10150 gets debited, but in this case 10000thb was debited in day 0 and subsequently 150thb on day 4/5)..
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Anytime there's a surcharge involved the ATM screens should at the very minimum disclose it and give the customer a chance to cancel, though I don't know if there's any law in Thailand requiring this. Not doing so would be even worse than how the colluding Thai banks handle it. OTOH, if the charge is originating from the cardholder's own bank (like Wells Fee-Go and their invented fee for using an ATM outside the U.S.) you don't get that disclosure.

Amex traveler's checks continue to be harder to buy in the U.S. as the number of bank outlets shrink and Amex itself closes offices. Thailand is one of few places where the things are still widely accepted.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC
Anytime there's a surcharge involved the ATM screens should at the very minimum disclose it and give the customer a chance to cancel, though I don't know if there's any law in Thailand requiring this. Not doing so would be even worse than how the colluding Thai banks handle it. OTOH, if the charge is originating from the cardholder's own bank (like Wells Fee-Go and their invented fee for using an ATM outside the U.S.) you don't get that disclosure.

Amex traveler's checks continue to be harder to buy in the U.S. as the number of bank outlets shrink and Amex itself closes offices. Thailand is one of few places where the things are still widely accepted.

From my experience, most ATM's which charge THB 150 per withdrawl show this charge before the transaction is done and ask for user confirmation.. we have the chance to cancel the transaction if we want..

The surprising thing with the Aeon experience of my friend was there was no alert and his account got debited few days later which has not been the case for me ( using the same card and ATM) ..
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, and in my recent experience, AEON ATMs remain fee-free.

Where, exactly, was this AEON ATM? Please be very precise.

I am assuming that the 150 baht was deducted from his withdrawal amount? So if he requested 10,000 baht he actually received 9,850 baht?

Or did he ask for, and receive, 10,000 baht, but his bank charged him some amount?

First-hand reports are always better than second-hand reports.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by transpac
AFAIK, and in my recent experience, AEON ATMs remain fee-free.

Where, exactly, was this AEON ATM? Please be very precise.

I am assuming that the 150 baht was deducted from his withdrawal amount? So if he requested 10,000 baht he actually received 9,850 baht?

Or did he ask for, and receive, 10,000 baht, but his bank charged him some amount?

First-hand reports are always better than second-hand reports.
He asked 20000 thb and he got that .. then few days later thb150 was deducted from his account without any intimation..
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

then few days later thb150 was deducted from his account
So he has a bank in Thailand, or one denominated in THB? How else to explain the 150 "fee"?

Or was there some fee, in his "native" currency, which somehow converted to exactly 150 THB?

Based on the facts that you've provided my best guess is that your colleague's home bank has probably applied a fee, perhaps he was allowed some number of complementary withdrawals, after which a fee is applied, or the fee will be subsequently credited, or it was incorrectly applied.

I think the main takeaways from your story are that your colleague's issues are with his bank rather than AEON, and that AEON still provides fee (Thai banker's 150 baht fee)-free ATM withdrawals
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by transpac

Or was there some fee, in his "native" currency, which somehow converted to exactly 150 THB?

Based on the facts that you've provided my best guess is that your colleague's home bank has probably applied a fee, perhaps he was allowed some number of complementary withdrawals, after which a fee is applied, or the fee will be subsequently credited, or it was incorrectly applied.

I think the main takeaways from your story are that your colleague's issues are with his bank rather than AEON, and that AEON still provides fee (Thai banker's 150 baht fee)-free ATM withdrawals
Indian bank prepaid travel card denominated in USD.. THb 150 debited in equivalent USD..
I hold similar card of the same bank of the same prepaid travel card..Guess something to do with the complimentary withdrawl's etc.. but not sure..
And those charges remain and not reversed yet..
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:51 pm

All good things come to an end.

Aeon to start charging a 150 baht fee for ATM withdrawals using an overseas bank card. No date on the announcement but could be from 1st January 2014.

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/u...,-9294&lang=en
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ft101
All good things come to an end.

Aeon to start charging a 150 baht fee for ATM withdrawals using an overseas bank card. No date on the announcement but could be from 1st January 2014.

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/u...,-9294&lang=en
Well, that's a downer.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:12 am
Suspended

Apparently, cash is king in Thailand if you want to get baht, considering the 3% debit card conversion fee, the foreign ATM fee, AND the 150 baht (~1.5%) surcharge.

Edit: just posted to my BofA account. $311.13 + $9.33 + $5 = $325.46 for 10,000 baht. That is getting 30.73 baht for each dollar. Had I changed my dollars at the airport, I would have gotten 32.8 baht per dollar. Guess I dump my ATM card.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Dec 28, 2013 at 2:30 am
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dieuwer2

Edit: just posted to my BofA account. $311.13 + $9.33 + $5 = $325.46 for 10,000 baht. That is getting 30.73 baht for each dollar. Had I changed my dollars at the airport, I would have gotten 32.8 baht per dollar. Guess I dump my ATM card.
That's higher than superich... there's no way it's accurate.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's higher than superich... there's no way it's accurate.
Think you're right. Probably was 31.8
Either way, still better than ATM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:26 am

According to the currency app, today's rate is 32.835 Bt for USD $1
xe.com shows it at 32.875 Bt

B of A is a horrible card to use out of their own network, or anyplace they can charge you extra. They are a big bank and act like their customers are captive.

Get a Schwab One account if you can. Or any of the other similar accounts that don't charge excessive fees and rebate ATM fees.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.