Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
So you just open a Schwab account, put a couple dollars in it and get an ATM card to use abroad? Sounds too easy..
It's super easy all you need to do is....

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Correct. The thing to note is that you must open a brokerage account (no deposit at all required in the brokerage account) and then link the bank account to the brokerage account. It is pretty much as simple as that. Not only are there no ATM fees but there is also no foreign transaction fee.
...follow Diplomatico's advice.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by tide
All the ATMs allow you multiple withdrawals until your limit. I believe the limitation of 20k/other amounts is the number of bills it can count/sort at one time.
I wonder whether the counting limit is specific to bill size; I usually withdraw something ending in "900" to end up with small bills (a few ATMs I've used in the past have smaller notes still, and 990 or 980 is nice if you can get it, but Citi only goes down to 100s) and the 15900 or 16900 that I've typically pulled at current rates is 24-25 bills total.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:24 am
Suspended

Isn't SuperRich the best deal regardless of using a no-fee debit card? Their spread seems very tight for $100 and $50 notes.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't SuperRich the best deal regardless of using a no-fee debit card? Their spread seems very tight for $100 and $50 notes.
Possibly, assuming you have $50/$100 bills on you.

I see 32.87 - 32.92 at the various SuperRich(es) today (Sat., 4 Jan 2014 18:30) now - for $100 bills, $50's are a bit less.

Visa rate is 32.91314 now.

Also factor in transport costs, if any, to get to the real SuperRich(es) on Ratchadamri Rd.

I did a fee-free ATM withdrawal yesterday (3 Jan 2014) at an AEON ATM, I got 32.643, while the Visa web-site gives 32.64347 for that same date.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by transpac
Possibly, assuming you have $50/$100 bills on you.

I see 32.87 - 32.92 at the various SuperRich(es) today (Sat., 4 Jan 2014 18:30) now - for $100 bills, $50's are a bit less.

Visa rate is 32.91314 now.

Also factor in transport costs, if any, to get to the real SuperRich(es) on Ratchadamri Rd.

I did a fee-free ATM withdrawal yesterday (3 Jan 2014) at an AEON ATM, I got 32.643, while the Visa web-site gives 32.64347 for that same date.
So you did worse than going to SuperRich.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you did worse than going to SuperRich.
I don't know...

1.) I do not know what SuperRich(es) rates were yesterday.

2.) I did not have any $100 bills.

3.) I did not spend ~ 150 baht to travel to/from Ratchadamri Road.

My best guess though, is no, I did not do worse.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
It's been my experience that VASU, near Soi 7 Sukhumvit, beats Superrich on $100 notes.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: Thai
If you have a Fidelity ATM card linked to your cash account, they will also refund the service charge.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's been my experience that VASU, near Soi 7 Sukhumvit, beats Superrich on $100 notes.
It depends which Superrich. There are 2 companies and Superrich1965 gives the good rates only at 2 locations.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of 16 January 2014 AEON ATMs remain fee-free.

I think there are now ~ three separate and distinct "Superrich" money changing companies, with head-offices in/around the Ratchadamri Road area.

Superrich/blue-green typically has the best rates on their web-site but whenever I've gone there the rates are the same (EUR) at blue/green and yellow/red/orange so I just go to the one with the shortest line.

http://www.superrichthailand.com/new/exchange.html

http://www.superrich1965.com/rate.php

There have been some reports of shady dealings at Vasu - miscounts, substitution of counterfeit bills - so most Thais avoid Vasu.

http://www.vasuexchange.com/
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by transpac
...There have been some reports of shady dealings at Vasu - miscounts, substitution of counterfeit bills - so most Thais avoid Vasu.

http://www.vasuexchange.com/
These rumours are around for a while. I still go there if I need to change a small amount (a few thousand Baht). For large amounts only Superrich.
By the way, is there a recent limit of what you can exchange at Superrich? I heard something about that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
AEON starts charging the ATM "terminal fee" for farang accounts

Well, I s'pose it was all but inevitable, but notable holdout AEON is now part of the ATM price-fix in Thailand, probably caving into pressure from the other banks.

Went from B0 on Feb. 10 to guess-how-much on Feb. 11? That's right...the same B150 that all the other Thai banks and foreign ones like Citibank are charging, which is about $4.60 and one of the highest rates in the world.

Even by U.S. standards, where banks tend to watch competitors and match their increases, this one reeks of in-your-face collusion. And before you do the "Why should they be giving something away for free?" bit, be aware that ATM withdrawals from banks other than your own have NOT been free for a very long time. They have collected and continue to collect the interchange fee, which is what your bank is collecting from you if it charges $1.75, $2 or whatever just for using another bank's ATM. Some banks will waive that, often with a minimum balance, but that's just paying by another means. If you're surcharged on top of that, you're paying twice. And sustaining one of the world's highest surcharges requires an oligopolistic "solidarity" that would be a bit much even in the U.S.

Thankfully the practice hasn't spread to Malaysia, where the interchange fee is still fine for most banks.

As for countermeasures, I'll likely look into the Schwab account or anything similar (I have one that does some rebates, though with a cap). Though one wonders how long Schwab or others can keep rebating at nearly $5 a pop without some kinds of limits if the scourge spreads. Thailand is still one of few places where traveler's checks make some sense, but that keeps getting more challenging on the U.S. side with Amex closing down its own offices and banks dropping the offering, citing lack of demand.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:27 am

It's been on their website for a while now.

The only thing missing was the date but now that's confirmed as well.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...l#post22038321
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:47 am

Can somebody please define "farang accounts"? I noticed somebody posed the question on another website but nobody could give an answer.

Are Thais charged the fee?
Are AEON bank ATM card holders charged the fee?
Are only non-AEON ATM cards charged the fee?

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:53 am

Found the info: http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/u...,-9294&lang=en

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.