Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigE
Yes, Citibank Asoke has started announcing (and charging) the 150 baht fee.
No, not true.

No fee when I withdrew today.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by mario33
No, not true.

No fee when I withdrew today.
Citibank account holder?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
Citibank account holder?
Yes
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
Yes
Same here; I wasn't charged the 150 when there in Oct. May be a different matter for non-Citi ATM cards.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Is this fee going back to the Thailand Bankers' Association?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA AA
Thumbs up

Do yourself a HUGE favor and sign up for a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account. You get a checking account and a brokerage account upon sign up. No worries about the brokerage account, you'll never have to use it.

I have been with Schwab since 2007 and I can't even imagine how much money I've saved with their Worldwide ATM fee reimbursements and it's UNLIMITED btw.

Another perk is that there are no foreign transaction fees either. No affiliation w/ Schwab here, just a really satisfied customer.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pausethemoment
Do yourself a HUGE favor and sign up for a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account. You get a checking account and a brokerage account upon sign up. No worries about the brokerage account, you'll never have to use it.

I have been with Schwab since 2007 and I can't even imagine how much money I've saved with their Worldwide ATM fee reimbursements and it's UNLIMITED btw.

Another perk is that there are no foreign transaction fees either. No affiliation w/ Schwab here, just a really satisfied customer.
I changed over to them about 2 years ago and have no complaints.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
So is it better to carry US $$$ and exchange or to use an ATM that will hit me with a US and Thai fee? If we are talking ~$10-$20 over the course of 3+ days, I'll just use an ATM for the convenience. Is there a "better" ATM at BBK to use in this case?

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
So is it better to carry US $$$ and exchange or to use an ATM that will hit me with a US and Thai fee? If we are talking ~$10-$20 over the course of 3+ days, I'll just use an ATM for the convenience. Is there a "better" ATM at BBK to use in this case?
There's no fee-free ATM (Aeon, or for Citi cardholders, Citi) at BKK airport; if you need cash at the airport, either be prepared for the 150 baht fee, or to use an exchange booth. I'd use an exchange booth for an amount that small, or up to a C-note (which will get a marginally better rate than 5 $20 notes, although the difference will be on the order of 50 baht.)

At around $150, the baht or so per dollar lost by the worse rates at the airport make it worth it to just use the ATM.

eta: depending on when you get in, it's sometimes worth just using the ATM because of lines at the exchange. In general, though, one of the exchanges (1 inside customs, 2 in the arrivals hall, IIRC) will have no or a negligible line and they had the same rate at all of them last time I was there.

Last edited by nkedel; Mar 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thanks - plus I found enough baht from my last trip to at least get me to the hotel

No Citibank for me but I'll look for Aeon elsewhere[list of Aeon's HERE] - any of these near the Hilton? Possibly across the river?

Thanks a lot

Cheers -

Originally Posted by nkedel
There's no fee-free ATM (Aeon, or for Citi cardholders, Citi) at BKK airport; if you need cash at the airport, either be prepared for the 150 baht fee, or to use an exchange booth. I'd use an exchange booth for an amount that small, or up to a C-note (which will get a marginally better rate than 5 $20 notes, although the difference will be on the order of 50 baht.)

At around $150, the baht or so per dollar lost by the worse rates at the airport make it worth it to just use the ATM.

eta: depending on when you get in, it's sometimes worth just using the ATM because of lines at the exchange. In general, though, one of the exchanges (1 inside customs, 2 in the arrivals hall, IIRC) will have no or a negligible line and they had the same rate at all of them last time I was there.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Wiring money costs $50 and arrives the next day (due to the time difference)
The fee is entirely dependent of the back where the money is wired from.

I have a bank account in Thailand and have few wires sent over a year, as I probably spend there couple of months per year on multiple trips/transits.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I can attest personally as of my February 2013 trip that Citibank was charging the B150 fee, on par with the Thai banks.

I knew it wasn't a great idea to count on them being the white knight, though I believe their limits are higher, so you can work it that way.

I had used the Asoke branch quite a bit...Near there, there's an AEON ATM in terminal 21 inside the branch, which is located on one of the lower floors (ground, I think) amid branches of other banks. Aeon helped me a good bit on this last trip, though I'm sure the bank cartel is trying to get them to go over to the dark side as well.

If you have a credit card that doesn't charge a pile of fees for cash advances, doing one of those at Bangkok Bank is another way to get around fees, at least for Visa.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BigE
update:

HSBC is gone.

Citibank (Asoke) is now charging 150 baht too, on top of a bad exchange rate (at least 1% below Super Rich). They do warn you. For reference, the exact same transaction at the same ATM machine about 1 week prior cost $7 less (I'm not sure whether the extra $2 purely reflects fluctuation in the fair exchange rate, or whether Citibank also increased their buy/sell spread).

Aeon might be the lone standout, now (though I didn't try it because they don't take my ATM card).

Other than Aeon users, cash is king.
Hi - just read your post. Has the HSBC branch in Bangkok closed down? I remember it being opposite Lumpini Park and was planning to visit.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by bxdxb
Hi - just read your post. Has the HSBC branch in Bangkok closed down? I remember it being opposite Lumpini Park and was planning to visit.
Thy are still there and still do corporate business but have closed down the rest.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:20 pm

Krungsri Bank recently increased the fee to 180 baht.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.