Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Yes. The merchant (invariably a restaurant) charges an additional 3% if you don't pay with cash or a Thai QR code. It's common practice in Samui at high-end tourist restaurants who are near-100% frequented by foreign tourists and have no practical possibility to pay with a Thai QR code. Bills, for Thailand, can be high at these places (gourmet pizzas for THB450 and bottles of wine starting at THB1500) and so the margin on the net amount can more than cover the cost of sale from the plastic card processor. I've explained patiently to one decent Italian that they would make more money from the margin on an additional glass of wine I would have if they didn't charge the 3% fee and limit my payment options to cash and hence limit my consumption that evening. And in any case they are losing 100% of future revenue from me (I was living in Samui at the time) because I wouldn't return. This is preferable to them apparently. The answer was to open a Thai bank account and pay with QR code everywhere. I still didn't go back to that restaurant and found alternative pizzas at Federico's.

There's a Bank of China with ATMs close to Chong Nonsi BTS in Sathorn. In the past, I've successfully used it to withdraw THB without a fee using a Chinese BoC UnionPay debit card before the Great Plague however despite the Visa and Mastercard logos I was unable to withdraw cash using my various UK debit cards when I tried in 2022. YMMV.
Understood. I have also seen the 3% cc surcharge becoming more common, both in and out of Thailand.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
I've explained patiently to one decent Italian that they would make more money from the margin on an additional glass of wine I would have if they didn't charge the 3% fee and limit my payment options to cash and hence limit my consumption that evening. And in any case they are losing 100% of future revenue from me (I was living in Samui at the time) because I wouldn't return. This is preferable to them apparently.
So, a pizza and a few glasses of wine cost how much?
$30USD?
3% cc surcharge of that is $0.90 USD ?

And I thought I was a Cheap Charlie...Lol
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2
But for tourists I'd honestly advise bringing a few thousand dollars in cash and exchanging it on the ground in Bangkok or wherever. I realize carrying around cash is not feasible or comfortable for everyone, but for some folks it could be the only way to avoid at least two ridiculous fees (220 Baht Thailand ATM fee + possible 3% international transaction fee).
Yes, great advice to risk losing, misplacing, or having stolen several $1,000 USD than pay a $7 USD ATM fee on a $500 USD ATM withdrawal.

For me, I consider the $7 ATM fee a very cheap insurance.

And besides, at the Exchange rate of 35THB, Thailand is a huge bargain right now and $7 USD is a small cost of doing business.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by arcticflier
So, a pizza and a few glasses of wine cost how much?
$30USD?
3% cc surcharge of that is $0.90 USD ?

And I thought I was a Cheap Charlie...Lol
Indeed. USD0.90 is a lot less than the profit margin they would get on an additional single glass of wine. The principle and the absolute amounts scale up for a larger group than just a single diner that I used for illustration. And it's the principle that I am objecting to with these restaurants and their thoughtless policies. My point is that it's bad business practice because it results in lower revenues and less absolute profit because the restaurant requires people to carry enough cash from a rip-off Thai ATM to cover their group's bill and be aware of that total count while they are ordering another round of drinks for the table or deciding not to. Less absolute profit from (a) lower overall bills; and (b) fewer overall customer visits because I choose to eat elsewhere in the future. Anyway, we'll probably never agree on this which is fine. We will eat pizza in different restaurants in Samui.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:23 pm

Indeed. USD0.90 is a lot less than the profit margin they would get on an additional single glass of wine. The principle and the absolute amounts scale up for a larger group than just a single diner that I used for illustration. And it's the principle that I am objecting to with these restaurants and their thoughtless policies. My point is that it's bad business practice because it results in lower revenues and less absolute profit because the restaurant requires people to carry enough cash from a rip-off Thai ATM to cover their group's bill and be aware of that total count while they are ordering another round of drinks for the table or deciding not to. Less absolute profit from (a) lower overall bills; and (b) fewer overall customer visits because I choose to eat elsewhere in the future. Anyway, we'll probably never agree on this which is fine. We will eat pizza in different restaurants in Samui.

Tilting at Windmills, are we?
SKT-DK and ftrichard like this.

Last edited by arcticflier; Jan 9, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by arcticflier
Tilting at Windmills, are we?
Well, you know, this whole thread is about trying to avoid paying Thai banks their small ATM fee which is near-obligatory for most foreign tourists withdrawing cash to avoid paying restaurants a 3% plastic card fee so there's no need to make personal derogatory remarks about imaginary motives on the subject of what most of us on Flyertalk would consider to be petty small change and are having fun engaging in the discussion because it's a discussion board. Hey ho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.