Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
For those that are here often, it may be worthwhile to open a Thai bank account and bring or wire money into the country. Domestic ATM fees are very cheap (10THB/10,000THB withdrawl at my bank), and withdrawls at your own bank's ATMs within the same province as your branch are without fee.

Just another option. There's no way I could pay those 150THB fees over and over and over.
What is the fee for an incoming wire transfer?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What is the fee for an incoming wire transfer?
I cannot remember exactly but I think it is of the order 100-300 baht even when receiving 100Ks baht. It is so low I never even considered it a factor.

Edit: I should have added that this is for Bangkok Bank. I have no idea what the other banks do/charge. Bangkok Bank has a number of branches in major cities worldwide; you can transfer the money to them locally by CHAPS or online. In case of CHAPS if they receive funds by 3pm they send the funds on the same day and they are available in the Thai account the next day. Funds transferred by internet banking take longer, up to 8 days I believe. In the UK Bangkok Bank charges £35-60 depending on amount transferred. Funds are transferred in currency of originating country so you benefit from local Thai exchange rate. It is a good service for transferring large amounts only because you will have a CHAPS fee (typically £20-25 in the UK) on top of Bangkok Bank fee. Despite the fees, I have found the Bangkok Bank service to be better value and importantly more certain than just doing an international transfer with a major high street bank in the UK. This is because the latter typically use intermediary banks and you can end up with a nasty surprise with respect to rates, fees and duration of transfer.

Last edited by ScottieFlyer; Dec 20, 2009 at 5:54 am
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:20 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I don't know that they charge anything on the recieving side. My bank in Canada has a sliding scale fee, but it was alot cheaper than 150THB per 20,000. I think it starts at $35 and goes up.

Once the bank account is opened, you're free to bring cash/TCs in, change them and deposit.

Good to note that to wire money from your Thai bank to your home country is also cheap (but there are capital control limits and/or proof of tax withheld needed).
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:12 am

Bangkok Bank in Thailand charges 0.25% with a 200 THB minimum and a 500 THB maximum charge, for in-bound wire transfers. Bangkok Bank in New York charges 10 USD (for amounts up to 50,000 USD; 5 USD for amounts up to 2,000 USD), so you can do an ACH transfer. Bank of America charges me 3 USD to originate a transfer, so 13 USD plus 500 THB per transfer.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by lomatopo
Bangkok Bank in Thailand charges 0.25% with a 200 THB minimum and a 500 THB maximum charge, for in-bound wire transfers. Bangkok Bank in New York charges 10 USD (for amounts up to 50,000 USD; 5 USD for amounts up to 2,000 USD), so you can do an ACH transfer. Bank of America charges me 3 USD to originate a transfer, so 13 USD plus 500 THB per transfer.
Just goes to show the charges here in UK are just another example of the 'Rip-off-Britain' culture within the financial services sector.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Bank of Ayudhya: I've tried several times in different locations and always get asked for the 150 Baht fee. I'm not sure why others are having success. I am, however, still able to get fee-free withdrawals at Aeon bank.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Has anyone else noticed that the fee free Aeon atm is lower rate than many cash or other atm rates?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:43 am

In Thailand now and seems like only Visa-cards doesnt have to pay the 150thb fee on Bank of Ayudha.

My Mastercard is with the 150thb fee, tried every major bank.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I was in Thailand over x-mas (Dec. 17 through Jan 1). I tried every bank I could find - tried probably half dozen or more throughout the country. All of the ATMs wanted to levy a 150 thb surcharge.

I was using a US Citi ATM card (MC) as well as a US Citi Visa Credit Card.

Perhaps they reinstituted the 150 thb surchrage for the holidays (peak season?)
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I was in Thailand over x-mas (Dec. 17 through Jan 1). I tried every bank I could find - tried probably half dozen or more throughout the country. All of the ATMs wanted to levy a 150 thb surcharge.

I was using a US Citi ATM card (MC) as well as a US Citi Visa Credit Card.

Perhaps they reinstituted the 150 thb surchrage for the holidays (peak season?)
I used an ATM in TOPS Market under the Westin in BKK a few times and was never prompted about a 150 THB fee. I used the one on the right, not the Bangkok Bank ATM on the left. It was yellow and red I think. I used an Israeli AMEX.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Datapoints:

I used a Schwab ATM card at a BangkokBank ATM at BKK last month. 150B fee was disclosed and printed on ATM slip - Schwab reimbursed this automatically (US$4.50) at end of month with no action from me.

Also withdrew from an AEON ATM. No fee. Exchange rate for this transaction was US$1=33.22B. Moneychanger at BKK was buying US$1 at 32.99B on same day. oanda.com reports 32.78 sell on date in question.

Last edited by tide; Jan 7, 2010 at 3:48 am Reason: added fx rates
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Platinum, Regus Gold, Chase Mileage Plus Visa, Turkish Air Elite, US Passport Glob. Entl
Agreed

I have experienced the 150 baht fee as well. I just try to make my ATM withdrawals as large as possible to avoid the hit; it is still easier for me than using travellers checks.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I can confirm this. Used the Bank of Ayudhya ATM at Hilton Arcadia Phuket last week (the yellow ATM next to the business center entrance). No fee was changed
I can confirm that this ATM is now charging the fee for US Based VISA ATM cards.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:36 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Ok I am tired of the ATM fees! THis may be a little off topic but does anyone know how difficult it is to open a bank account with debit card in Thailand for a US citizen. I figure I have a permanent Thai phone number and Skytrain Card I would like to open an account there. Which bank would be the easiest to transfer funds in and out from the US or internet?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
Ok I am tired of the ATM fees! THis may be a little off topic but does anyone know how difficult it is to open a bank account with debit card in Thailand for a US citizen. I figure I have a permanent Thai phone number and Skytrain Card I would like to open an account there. Which bank would be the easiest to transfer funds in and out from the US or internet?
If you're usually in need of an ATM in BKK this is what I'd suggest. Open an HSBC direct (online) account. No fees, no minimum. The one branch is on Rama IV across from Lumpini. Transfer money as needed into this online account and use their - no fee - ATMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.