Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Absolutely.

And few of us are bothered by the irony of the same people plunking down $4000 for an airplane ticket making four months of posts and going all over creation, as my grandmother would say, to avoid a $5 currency-exchange fee. I'm one of 'em, but I'm just sayin'....
Yes, but - there is another issue -the idea that banks discriminate against foreigners just b/c they can Added to the percent they already get on the exchange and the "farang" pays double or more in many places .......

For a country that is wanting to attract more tourists this seems counter-productive (but then I do understand that Thais RAISE prices when there is a drop in business - maybe it works but it seems that the US policy of lowering prices does seem to work better).
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by lomatopo
UOB started charging the 150 THB fee as of August 19, 2009. They previously said they would start charging the fee so not a huge surprise. Government Savings Bank (GSB) and AEON are the only ATM's still not charging this fee. Neither are members of the TBA so maybe they will never implement the fee but as they are swamped with foreign ATM transactions one can foresee them adding the fee. There is a GSB ATM in the Asoke BTS station, adjacent to their currency exchange booth as you exit the station heading for the MRT (subway) on the right. Be careful, there is a Thanachart ATM machine right next to the GSB ATM.
Ahh, that's bad news, I had been using UOB. Time to switch to GSB.

I was under the impression AEON was some type of credit agency rather than a bank; does their ATMs give a good exchange rate?

Thanks, SF.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
ha

Strange, I have never been charged the 150 baht fee, but am charged a 1% fee each time I use my US atm card. Have always taken my money from Bangkok Bank, in Bangkok and up in Issan. Its a real rip off but not much we can do. TIT
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
It wasn't a wasted afternoon ... reporting back to help those who cannot afford the 150 baht a pop!

I had the time to spare and needed the money. A nice BTS ride that took me from Phloen Chit to Asoke and then on to Chitlom and back ... further exploring the city and enjoying the sites

BTW, for years now I have done the islands, the beaches, the North & the NE ... and BKK is still my favorite ^

Last edited by Kalboz; Aug 22, 2009 at 2:25 am
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Ahh, that's bad news, I had been using UOB. Time to switch to GSB.

I was under the impression AEON was some type of credit agency rather than a bank; does their ATMs give a good exchange rate?

Thanks, SF.
The rate was not as good as I would like it to be ... around 32.80 Baht for the U$, here are the details:

08-21-2009 *NONCITIBANK ATM WITHDRAWAL
AT AEON THANA SIN BIG C RATDAMRI $ 304.80 for 10,000 Baht
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The rate was not as good as I would like it to be ... around 32.80 Baht for the U$, here are the details:

08-21-2009 *NONCITIBANK ATM WITHDRAWAL
AT AEON THANA SIN BIG C RATDAMRI $ 304.80 for 10,000 Baht
Point of note.
around the same time Superich was 33.97-34.00 buy/sell for $100usd.

So not such a good deal at the AEON THANA SIN BIG C RATDAMRI ATM.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:57 pm

FWIW I got 34.047 from an AEON ATM in Seacon Square on the same day (Friday, August 21, 2009). I’m using a Visa debit card. Mastercard might be using DCC which results in lower exchange rates. Also some might have hidden fees. It can be challenging to compare rates without all the details. Most reports on TV show AEON giving the IER rate, as do GSB.

Agree Superrich is great if you have $100 bills, almost as good as my ATM rate. When changing currency here many recommend writing down the serial numbers on the bills, adding the last one in full view of the clerk. This discourages the counterfeit bill substitution scam, which has been reported as occurring in Thailand (and other countries). I have never seen any bad reports about Superrrich.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:46 pm

Bank of Ayudhya ATM's appear not to be free of charges

We were in Bangkok about three weeks ago and always used the Bank of Ayudhya ATM's b/c they seemed to be the only ones that did not mention the 150 baht charge. They have bright yellow signage and are included in the ATM bank at the airport public transport center, and are all over Bangkok.

I can't confirm the exchange rate or that the charge hasn't appeared yet since my boyfriend made all the withdrawals
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
For those of us reverting to T-cheques, which bank would you recommend for low fees and good rates?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
It might not be great for convenience, however there is an HSBC branch on Rama IV, south side of Lumpini, which does not charge the dreaded fee.

The closest BTS station is Sala Daeng and MRT Silom.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
I pulled Baht from an ATM (forgot bank name) at CentralWorld on Sunday and was charged a fee. Then did UOB atm at Bangkapi Mall location on Wed and no fee charged.

Let me try again today and update everyone if there is a change for UOB.
Well, regret to confirm UOB is charging 150 service fee....just went to same atm and got hit for it.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by lomatopo
FWIW I got 34.047 from an AEON ATM in Seacon Square on the same day (Friday, August 21, 2009). I’m using a Visa debit card. Mastercard might be using DCC which results in lower exchange rates. Also some might have hidden fees. It can be challenging to compare rates without all the details. Most reports on TV show AEON giving the IER rate, as do GSB.

Agree Superrich is great if you have $100 bills, almost as good as my ATM rate. When changing currency here many recommend writing down the serial numbers on the bills, adding the last one in full view of the clerk. This discourages the counterfeit bill substitution scam, which has been reported as occurring in Thailand (and other countries). I have never seen any bad reports about Superrrich.
You are right ... I re-calculated the rate without Citibank charges and I am getting around 33.78 baht per US$ ... not as good rate as you are getting:

For 20,000 Baht

08-27-2009 FOREIGN FEE Aug 27 00:38 $ 17.76
08-27-2009 NONCITIBANK ATM WITHDRAWAL Aug 27 00:38 $ 591.99

For 10,000 Baht

08-21-2009 FOREIGN FEE Aug 21 04:44 BIG C RATDAMRI BANGKOK $ 8.88
08-21-2009 NONCITIBANK ATM WITHDRAWAL Aug 21 04:44 BIG C RATDAMRI BANGKOK $ 295.92

Citibank is killing me with these "Foreign Fee" charges but this is the best I can do without having any US currency for exchange.

Last edited by Kalboz; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:29 am
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Citibank is killing me with these "Foreign Fee" charges but this is the best I can do without having any US currency for exchange.
Have you explored option of a prepaid card in your country? I'm sure there must be some good ones. Competition between them in UK is hotting up and I have taken advantage of CaxtonFX that has no fees for topping up, or for payments and withdrawals overseas. Agent informed me the exchange loading for Thai Baht would be 2.5% which is comparable to most UK denit or credit cards without the per-use fee. In practice it seems to be doing better than the cash/TC exchange rates so I'm not yet switching to cash and TC so long as I can access GSB ATM fee-free.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Just picked up my first batch of t-cheques in about 5 years. No fee from Wachovia for $100 Amex cheques. As long as I get a decent rate and no big per-cheque fees, I should come out ahead.

Wachovia was hitting me for 2.5% on the foreign exchange fee, and then the Thai banks' fees added another 1.5% (or more, depending on amount of withdrawal). Hassle factor is minor, as my bank is next door to my flat, and many banks can be found near my hotel. Besides, will always have the card in case of sudden needs for baht, e.g. at Chatuchak.

What's the word on which Thai banks have the best exchange terms for cashing t-cheques? In terms of lowest per-transaction fees and best rates?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:35 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Just picked up my first batch of t-cheques in about 5 years. No fee from Wachovia for $100 Amex cheques. As long as I get a decent rate and no big per-cheque fees, I should come out ahead.

Wachovia was hitting me for 2.5% on the foreign exchange fee, and then the Thai banks' fees added another 1.5% (or more, depending on amount of withdrawal). Hassle factor is minor, as my bank is next door to my flat, and many banks can be found near my hotel. Besides, will always have the card in case of sudden needs for baht, e.g. at Chatuchak.

What's the word on which Thai banks have the best exchange terms for cashing t-cheques? In terms of lowest per-transaction fees and best rates?
The travelers check exchange fee is a "stamp" fee set by the government....so it is the same for all travelers check transactions regardless of the face amount of the check. In the future, you might want to get USD 500 travelers checks, as the fee (THB 33) is the same regardless of the exchange amount. On the chart signs at all exchange locations, look for T/C to see the daily rate which can change daily and is usually only slightly different at all the banks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.