Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:05 pm

We happen to find the only HSBC in Bangkok (maybe the only one in Thailand, not sure) -- I cannot tell you exactly where it is, but if you go to the Banyan Tree, you'll see it from the rooftop. On our way back from Banyan Tree to our hotel, we asked the taxi driver to stop at the HSBC.

The ATM worked beautifully. Withdrew THB10k with no worries.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
We happen to find the only HSBC in Bangkok (maybe the only one in Thailand, not sure) -- I cannot tell you exactly where it is, but if you go to the Banyan Tree, you'll see it from the rooftop. On our way back from Banyan Tree to our hotel, we asked the taxi driver to stop at the HSBC.

The ATM worked beautifully. Withdrew THB10k with no worries.
The HSBC is on Rama IV, across from Lumpini Park, between the Silom MRT station and Wireless Rd.

It is the only one in Thailand, which is surprising considering how much advertising they have on the jetways of BKK.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:08 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As I understand it, International banks, like HSBC, are allowed one location in the country. Each of the other banks are registered Thai banks that (obviously) don't fall under the same restrictions.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
As I understand it, International banks, like HSBC, are allowed one location in the country. Each of the other banks are registered Thai banks that (obviously) don't fall under the same restrictions.
It's my understanding as well. I'm just surprised by the amount of advertising.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wallydowl
We were in Bangkok about three weeks ago and always used the Bank of Ayudhya ATM's b/c they seemed to be the only ones that did not mention the 150 baht charge. They have bright yellow signage and are included in the ATM bank at the airport public transport center, and are all over Bangkok.
I can confirm this. Used the Bank of Ayudhya ATM at Hilton Arcadia Phuket last week (the yellow ATM next to the business center entrance). No fee was changed
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
SCB drops charge to 15 ThB

Effective November 1, Siam Commercial Bank dropped their rate to 15Baht per transaction:
http://www.scb.co.th/img/th/rate/fees-atm-en.pdf

Let’s hope this is a trend
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Mendobrew
Effective November 1, Siam Commercial Bank dropped their rate to 15Baht per transaction:

Good news, especially if the others follow suit. Keep an eye on the rates though, being a bank I would be surprised if they give something with one hand and take a way with the other.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Very good news re SCB. If anyone else hears of similar drops by other banks, please post. And once folks using low-fee Siam Commercial for withdrawals get their statements, please let us know if you got hosed on the rate. 15 baht I can handle. Easily.

Now if I can get Wachovia to give me a break on the forex surcharge, ATMs would be a good option again.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mendobrew

As I understand it this change in fee applies to in-country non-pool transactions, like using an AEON card at an SCB ATM. Foreign credit/debit ATM transactions continue to incur the 150 THB fee at SCB ATM's according to recent posts on ThaiVisa. AEON ATM's remain fee free as of today.

A post from a related thread on Thai Visa:

[quote name='jfchandler' date='2009-11-07 20:57:54' post='3124877']
I posted re this in the other main thread on Thai bank ATM fees...

I called the SCB Call Centre this afternoon, posed the question to a CSR, who, after initially giving me a wrong answer and it being clear she wasn't familiar with the notice, went off to check with her manager and then call me back an hour later..

Their answer was: that notice and fee reduction supposedly has nothing to do with the use of foreign ATM or credit cards. They said the change relates to non-bank credit cards here in Thailand like those issued by AEON and Tesco-Lotus and such...
[/quote]

Some report that some types of cards, maybe from the UK (Nationwide?), do not incur any fees at Bank of Ayudhya (Krung Sri). Also some report doing teller-based transactions and not incurring any fees.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:10 am

Some report that some types of cards, maybe from the UK (Nationwide?), do not incur any fees at Bank of Ayudhya (Krung Sri). Also some report doing teller-based transactions and not incurring any fees.
I can confirm this message.
The Bank of Ayundya (Kung Sri), easy to find with the yellow ATMs didn"t carge me any fee today.
According to a german expat forum, this is true to ALL VISA-related cards (at least from Europe). In the recent weeks they lowered it to 15 Baht, since a few days ago it's free again. This is at Bank of Ayandya ATMs only.
I can't tell if all VISA cards are included now. But you can try because the fee 0.00 (or 150.00) must be shown on screen during the withdrawal process.

This is getting more and more confusing all the time.....
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thai Military Bank at Suvarnabhumi was still charging (and disclosing) the 150-baht fee earlier this week. The SCB ATM was down, which was frustrating and in this instance cost me 135 baht!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Can sombody advise which bank is UPCA please? I came across a post in another forum claiming UPCA ATMs do not charge the 150 baht fee although the post was old so may already be unreliable info.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
comparison

did an atm withdrawal at Aeon (back of super c shopping center) and 2 cc charges on the same day (because of posting vs transaction date the cc posted on different days)

Aeon atm withdrawal - no fee disclosed rate 1 usd 32.93

schwab cc 33.05
citi debit 32.95
super rich cash 33.15
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:17 am

All the ATM's (including the SCB)within about 300 metres walking distance of the Millennium Hilton, Klongsan, showed a 150 baht charge this afternoon, but the Yellow Bank of Ayudaya ATM over the river on the ground floor of River City shows no fee, so they got my business. This was with a UK Visa debit card.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
For those that are here often, it may be worthwhile to open a Thai bank account and bring or wire money into the country. Domestic ATM fees are very cheap (10THB/10,000THB withdrawl at my bank), and withdrawls at your own bank's ATMs within the same province as your branch are without fee.

Just another option. There's no way I could pay those 150THB fees over and over and over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.