Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd be inclined to take the train during busy periods where there is a high probability to get bogged down in traffic.
As I always only travel with carry-on it shouldn't be a problem for me either, especially if staying at the SGS or Westin.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
I suspect most of us FTers travel light so when arriving when traffic is likely busy the fast train with onward MRT connections seems like a good option. I expect hotels in the vicinity of MRT stations will see increased business, especially once travel guidebooks, websites etc are updated witrh new airport transfer info.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
I suspect most of us FTers travel light...
If only that were so... I wish I could travel light. I'd be the first one connecting to the MRT to get to the WGS/SGS.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rolcouz
The Nation reports that the cabinet has approved the opening of the airport link on 5 December to Makkasan and Phyathai. It was reported to be opening on 12 August, so, not surprisingly, it is further delayed.
Originally Posted by Sarah DDS
Actually, it's the first trial run that was delayed to 5 December. March 2010 is now the timeframe for the expected opening.

Sites like 2Bangkok are good resources for following the progress (or lack thereof) of Bangkok's mass transit projects. Plenty of good pictures too since it seems that anyone can walk onto construction sites.
August 12th is Queen's birthday and December 5 is King's birthday. They will absoultely try to meet te Dec 5 deadline. If not, you can guess other possible dates by looking at birthdays of important Royals.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I nearly always stay at the SGS and always with hand luggage only but I would not consider using the Rail Link, it just isn't worth it imho.

I can't remember it taking more than 40/50 minutes from Suvarnabhumi to the SGS door to door in what must be around 15 stays since the former opened, and going back it's usually less than 30 minutes.

The only slight PITA is if they come up the WGS side of Sukhumvit Road and have to u-turn at Asok. A few weeks ago I timed it at 22 minutes from getting in the car at Suvarnabhumi to being stationary outside the WGS. Of course it was another ten minutes before I was at check-in at the SGS due to the u-turn and the crazy traffic lights system.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:09 pm

The most detailed photo report of the Airport Link yet:

http://portal.rotfaithai.com/modules...ewtopic&t=3809

These guys buy tickets from vending machines, poke around the stations, ride the train from end to end and even check out the loos. It really makes you wonder just what they need another 6 months for
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Forgive me if this is not a unique experience worth sharing but last night on the way in from the airport I saw a MOVING TRAIN on the airport link!! Three carriages with 'CITY LINE' on the outside.

wow!

regards

lme ff
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by jpatokal
It really makes you wonder just what they need another 6 months for
Probably to ensure that everyone who has to pay someone for something does so, none of which likely has anything to do with construction or operation whatsoever.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:55 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Dec 5th soft opening announced. Hourly service for the express service at 150THB.

I am guessing that the 50THB non-express may be the more frequent/convenient service? Not very clever if you ask me.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Dec 5th soft opening announced. Hourly service for the express service at 150THB.

I am guessing that the 50THB non-express may be the more frequent/convenient service? Not very clever if you ask me.
so you drag your luggage after your 20+ hour flight to this train service somewhere on the edges of the BKK airport then you take it to Makasan or Phaya Thai for 150-200 baht ... and then a taxi to your hotel???

wouldn't be easier to just grab a cab at the airport and go directly to your hotel?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:47 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by Kalboz
so you drag your luggage after your 20+ hour flight to this train service somewhere on the edges of the BKK airport then you take it to Makasan or Phaya Thai for 150-200 baht ... and then a taxi to your hotel???

wouldn't be easier to just grab a cab at the airport and go directly to your hotel?
My feeling exactly. Many here seem to be very excited about this opening, so I didn't want to be accused of being negative.......but unless taxi rates quadruple...this thing is a complete loser....just for the reasons you state. In the worst traffic, you still have your luggage secure and a direct ride from air terminal to hotel at a decent price.....the train has you running all over the place after your long trip, bringing you to a place that you then need to travel to your hotel from....with your belongings.......this seems like more of a hassle than it is worth IMHO.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by maskedavenger
My feeling exactly. Many here seem to be very excited about this opening, so I didn't want to be accused of being negative.......but unless taxi rates quadruple...this thing is a complete loser....just for the reasons you state. In the worst traffic, you still have your luggage secure and a direct ride from air terminal to hotel at a decent price.....the train has you running all over the place after your long trip, bringing you to a place that you then need to travel to your hotel from....with your belongings.......this seems like more of a hassle than it is worth IMHO.
I agree that Makkasan is not the best location for the City Terminal and that luggage can be a pain when travelling by train. However, I would do anything, including using the rail link, to avoid the abject terror of the taxi "ride" into the city driven by a person who seems to have absolutely no regard for human life either for himself, his passengers or others. Sure, some will take a taxi but others will take the train, including me. Once the connection to the MRT and BTS is complete I will make sure that any hotel I stay in is on one of those lines. There will always be knockers for a new project, and of course its implementation has been appallingly slow, but many will want to use it if only to avoid the white knuckle ride of a highly dangerous taxi trip. To me, within reason, I am willing to pay extra for safety, and my safety is more important than my luggage's safety. I am sure some people have had acceptably safe trips in a Bangkok taxi, good for them, but it has never happened to me over many years.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:01 am

...but many will want to use it if only to avoid the white knuckle ride of a highly dangerous taxi trip.
Huh????
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:39 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
"I agree that Makkasan is not the best location for the City Terminal and that luggage can be a pain when travelling by train. However, I would do anything, including using the rail link, to avoid the abject terror of the taxi "ride" into the city driven by a person who seems to have absolutely no regard for human life either for himself, his passengers or others".

'To me, within reason, I am willing to pay extra for safety, and my safety is more important than my luggage's safety. I am sure some people have had acceptably safe trips in a Bangkok taxi, good for them, but it has never happened to me over many years".
I have been accused many times on the Thailand forum of being negative on Thailand and bringing up the "safety" issue too many times to all different aspects of Thailand. This might be a first for me, but I cannot figure out what has happened to you in reference to this taxi issue. I have used taxi's from BKK around 40 times in the past few years.....and I have taken hundreds of taxis in the city. I have never once been subjected to "abject terror"....nor the rest of the things you describe. It seems impossible that every ride you have taken has turned into a nightmare for you. Generally, the taxi drivers in and around BKK are Ok as long as you control the situation....and maybe this is where you are having problems.

For the first thing, take a look at the taxi and the driver before you enter the taxi vehicle. If the taxi looks old and beat and and/or the driver looks like he is on a yabba binge, refuse the ride and go with the next taxi. You cannot be forced to take a taxi/driver that does not look right to you. Before entering the taxi establish that this is going to be a metered ride. When all the bargaining begins, just walk away and take a taxi where the meter will be used and the guy does not start arguing price. With these two things in place, your odds of problems just decreased greatly.

If the driver starts to go crazy with speed, lane changing or other dangerous moves, just tell the guy to stop it. You don't have to start screaming.....just tell him that the driving is making you sick. He doesn't want you to vomit in his car. Only one time in many years have I resorted to this. The guy slowed down and everything was "sabai" after this.

When you get to your destination, don't be the silly farang-atang. Just pay the guy and move along.....long discussions at this point are not necessary....and not "Thai". If you want to round to the next even baht amount....fine....just pay him and move along. Thais do not get involved at this point in discussions about the quality of the ride, how nice/not nice the taxi was, the driver's good/bad odor, how white his teeth are/or not....etc., etc. Just leave the guy alone and pay him.....and move along.

When you are leaving your upscale hotel and need a taxi, do not use the guys in the taxi line in front of the hotel. You will surely get ripped off. If you are rich and don't care....use them. If you are rich and do care, walk a block away and take a regular taxi on the street (following the above rules) and you will be fine. The taxi lines in front of the major hotels are comprised of drivers that the Thais call "taxi mafia". They will not use their meter....they will overcharge you and you will not be happy....unless you don't care about a few extra baht.

When leaving an entertainment venue, do not use the taxis lined up in front of the establishment. The drivers feel that you are going to have to pay up as you obviously have the money to go to the venue in the first place and there are other negative thoughts that they have about you at that point. You will get ripped off for sure....no meter.....fixed rate.....you will overpay. Just walk to the next street and follow the above directions.....it will work out fine.

If you do exactly as above, you will never have to deal with the taxi problems again. Generally speaking, Thailand is not a bad taxi situation at all. I can mention many places in the world where you are truly taking many risks using a taxi....this is not one of them.

Last edited by maskedavenger; Sep 6, 2009 at 9:50 am
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by maskedavenger

When you are leaving your upscale hotel and need a taxi, do not use the guys in the taxi line in front of the hotel. You will surely get ripped off. If you are rich and don't care....use them. If you are rich and do care, walk a block away and take a regular taxi on the street (following the above rules) and you will be fine. The taxi lines in front of the major hotels are comprised of drivers that the Thais call "taxi mafia". They will not use their meter....they will overcharge you and you will not be happy....unless you don't care about a few extra baht.
While I agree with the majority of your post about Bangkok taxis, this statement is not quite accurate.

I find that taking taxis from many of the upscale hotels is one of the best ways to avoid a rip-off, as they write down the taxi number and tell the driver your destination in Thai.

I've had countless rides TO my hotel (JW Marriott, Westin GS, etc.) where the driver took a circuitous route and padded a few extra Baht, but never had this happen FROM my hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.