Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The benefit in the train will be more for solo travelers. The pricing structure seems akin to the airport shuttle bus where 2 or more people traveling together will benefit by just taking a taxi to their destination.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The benefit in the train will be more for solo travelers. The pricing structure seems akin to the airport shuttle bus where 2 or more people traveling together will benefit by just taking a taxi to their destination.
After reading this article, I elieve this system is like most of other things in Thailand: First build then think.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
After reading this article, I elieve this system is like most of other things in Thailand: First build then think.
Out of curiosity, if you had been tasked with building the airport rail link, what would you have done differently?

I'm tempted to agree that it's a losing proposition, but that's mostly thanks to airport's relative closeness to the city and the cheapness of Bangkok's taxis, not the link's own faults. Yes, the connectivity to MRT/Skytrain could be better, but at least it will be connected to both and they're already working on smoothing out the transfers. And the lack of ticketing integration is an endemic Bangkok problem, which has been promised to be fixed "next year" for at least five years now...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: most of them
What to do differently? Probably not build it at all. There doesn't seem to be much prospect of taxis getting markedly more expensive.

Given the city's density it would be very difficult to shoehorn the rail system into the existing transport infrastructure. But what they have done without smooth transfers and coupling between the train system and other mass transit systems makes the system unlikely to get much use. They should have thought about all of these issues before they built the thing instead of trying to figure it all out now that it is ready to open.

Other than for solo travelers with no luggage it's hard to see how this system makes any sense at all. Even if you do transfer to BTS, for example, you still have to navigate all of the stairways once you get to your destination. And since there aren't that many hotel directly adjacent to BTS or MRT you then have to navigate the notoriously bad sidewalks or hail a taxi anyway to get to your final destination. MRT is slightly better since there are some escalators and elevators to get you in and out of the station.

If you were planning a city from scratch this kind of train system is a piece of cake. But trying to fit it into a crazy urban environment that has been built without much of anything in the way of urban planning over the last 100 years is pretty crazy. Ultimately of course it was built to line the pockets of well-connected individuals.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:30 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I want to jump in here. First of all, I'm not saying the rail link is the best thing since sliced bread. Nor am I saying it will fit all users needs. However, both Bangkok and BKK are better with it than without it. Don't you agree?

Have you ever been stuck in Bangkok traffic trying to get to the Tollway onramp? When traffic is at a standstill in Bangkok.... it can be ugly. I've left Suk 11 and it's taken me 1.5 hours to get to the onramp 1KM away. Of course I didn't know this when I hopped in the taxi, but it caused me to miss my flight. I've had similar problems in the morning leaving from Klong San or Sri Phaya. Note many of these locations are near a transit link. I'd gladly suffer with some luggage & heat issues if I could shave an hour off of my trip to the airport.

For all who work or commute regularly to the airport, Thais and foreigners, this will be a very popular choice; especially airport workers. To say this project is poorly constructed because it doesn't fit the occasional traveller who stays at 5 star hotels is a bit presumptuous. The same track also doubles as the local transit link along a very busy Rama IX route. Theoretically, with Thais taking the train, the Rama IX route may be less congested for those arriving from the airport. What if they'd built the transit link and DIDN'T extend to BKK? Wouldn't that be a crazier plan?

The fare is 15THB until 2011! Even when the fare goes up, it'll still be cheap to get to town, even for two people. Even if there is a taxi mafia or surcharge a Makkasan, it'll still be cheaper to take the train and taxi. No toll ways & cheaper per kilo rate for short distance trip. Makkassan is quite close to many of the tourist areas.

And I'll bet that the elevator/stairs/connection issues will be resolved. Thais don't like lugging baggage up/down stairs, etc. Because this problem affects Thais too, the motivation to build connecting walkways, down escalators may come faster than if it was only a foreign travelller issue.

Just a few ideas to think about and spur discussion. The rail link may not be for me or you, but I think it's a good thing in the long run.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Thank you for your analysis, seanthepilot. I'm certainly going to try the airport rail link on my next visit to BKK, and will look forward to reading about other FTers' experiences.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have liked to try the link to Phaya Thai however the last 3 times I've been in Bangkok we've arrived after the trains stop running to the city in the evening and needed to leave to the airport before the afternoon runs began. Such is our typical schedule into and out of PNH.

It might present a savings in $ and time for my typical trips so long as the Phaya Thai taxis don't get the crazy idea to boycott the use of meters.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Thing I didn't get about it is why they went for smaller UK sized trains and loading gauge - I would have expected them to use cheaper off-the-shelf European designs as Kuala Lumpur did. Is this perhaps because Thailand have bought rolling stock from the UK before?

The trains are, as I understand it, the same as those used on Heathrow Connect (not Heathrow Express which is an older design), London Midland and South West Trains - they are of the Siemens "Desiro UK" type.

(Very basic interior though)

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; Aug 12, 2010 at 7:26 am
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: most of them
For airport workers I agree this will be a good thing, as long as the fare stays low.

But as a big boost to tourism, not likely. I don't know that I have ever heard anyone say "I would love to go to Bangkok, but since there's no train system from the airport..."

However, I will also agree that I have never had the experience of being stuck for hours in traffic trying to go to the airport. Worst traffic I experienced was during the PAD protests that shut things down around Gov't House. I suppose if I was traveling there in rainy season especially I might feel differently though too. :-)
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:10 am

Not every traveler who is a visitor to Thailand is on an expense account where they can just have the office pay for any taxi or limo rides. Some travelers want to save the pennies anyway they can. One advantage that I can see is that this Airport Rail Link (City Line) runs 24 hours a day. If you have a hotel not far from Makkasan or Phaya Thai you can just hoof it to your hotel. There are several hotels close to these two stops.
http://airportraillink.railway.co.th...ityline_a.html

Even late at night you can switch to a meter taxi in Bangkok and only pay the meter fare to get to your hotel. This saves the surcharge and toll charges. Not that much savings but for a single backpacker it means a couple extra meals not street food. Or, if you are lucky to arrive during the day or early evening hours you can also switch to the Skytrain at Phaya Thai for hotels off the Skytrain route.

From the Bangkok Post link in the first opening post:

"After the Rail Link officially opens, tickets will cost only 15 baht per trip per person until the end of 2010." Such a deal!

Now if the Skytrain could stay open a few more hours each night I would be a happy camper!

Last edited by Sirhalberd; Aug 13, 2010 at 6:20 am
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sirhalberd

Even late at night you can switch to a meter taxi in Bangkok and only pay the meter fare to get to your hotel.
This makes the giant assumption that the taxis will be organized and accepting of a metered fare at Makassan and/or Phaya Thai. I think at the beginning it's going to bring back memories of Mo Chit or the mess outside of Hua Lampong where nobody is willing to take passengers sans an outrageous fare request.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Let's wait first of all if the train service really opens August 23rd !?
It has been postponed so many times that I won't believe it's running until I'm actually on it.

For BKK, I think it's a great thing to have. Taxis are great if you arrive in the evening and there is no traffic, but I have also been stuck a couple of times in horrendous traffic. The Airport Express makes the journey easier to plan, without having to consider traffic.

I'm looking forward to this service and will certainly give it a try.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Let's wait first of all if the train service really opens August 23rd !?
It has been postponed so many times that I won't believe it's running until I'm actually on it.
This is an interesting point you bring up. If the big launch is really coming, wouldn't they have made a celebration yesterday, the Queen's birthday.

Because of little fanfare, one would wonder if they are really ready for the grand opening, which is only 10 days away?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:21 pm

This thread got sidetracked with a discussion on global airports and accessibility of passengers from airports to towns/cities. I believe this was initially because of a vague thread title.

I have merged this thread with the ongoing thread on this topic.

I have also removed the off topic posts. Sorry if I didn't email every poster whose post I have deleted.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a trip this coming weekend and, as usual, arrive too late for train service into the city and leave, as usual, before the afternoon service to the airport begins.

I've really wanted to try out the service to Phaya Thai but it will need to wait yet again......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.