Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
My wife is going to BKK to interpret a conference a few days after the opening of the new airport rail link. Now, in the past we have always taken a taxi to get to our favorite hotel, the Marriott on the river. If she was to take this new train, she would have to do a route like this: airport link city line to Phaya Thai, transfer, Siam, transfer, go to the end of the line, ride the boat to the hotel???? Am I making this too complicated or is this the best route if she was to take it? It seems so much easier to catch cab and go straight to the hotel, like everyone has said!
I think that is exactly what she would need to do. So for hotels on the Chao Phraya River, it isn't that convenient.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree, a couple would be better off taking a taxi. However on my recent trip to Bangkok, I found taxis can be a hassle, and taking the SkyTrain was convenient. This was my first trip, and a taxi from the airport to the Hilton was 600 THB going, 500 return. Perhaps I was overcharged, but I was told 500 THB was usual for this trip.

On reading Wikipedia, it seems the airport train will connect to the BTS station at Phaya Thai (N2).
It looks like the trouble is that you will still need to get a taxi to get to the station, then slep your bags all over the place.

If you are coming in or departing on a US flight the times are such there isn't any traffic anyway and depending on where you are staying if there is traffic you will still be stuck in it going to the station.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
it will be good if the On Nut end gets extended to Bang Na and BITEC convention center where it will meet the other line . But you will still need to change trains there ,

a backpack or rolling small suitcase might be OK, but all the stops on the skytrain that I remember do NOT have escalators going down for exiting , so you have to drag your suitcase down a flight of stairs , no fun there...

I will probably never take that Airport link umless I am going to meet someone at the airport during the daytime so you can avoid the traffic ,
But return flights to Narita-USA leave before the skytrain opens !

Glad its happening , but there is no way it can work in BKK or the same idea at LAX and many other airports ,

its just a status thing to have an "airport link"

Rally , who paid 400 baht for his taxi into town last month.....
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
Suvarnabhumi Airport Link not until Dec 5

The Nation reports that the cabinet has approved the opening of the airport link on 5 December to Makkasan and Phyathai. It was reported to be opening on 12 August, so, not surprisingly, it is further delayed.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by rolcouz
The Nation reports that the cabinet has approved the opening of the airport link on 5 December to Makkasan and Phyathai. It was reported to be opening on 12 August, so, not surprisingly, it is further delayed.
Actually, it's the first trial run that was delayed to 5 December. March 2010 is now the timeframe for the expected opening.

Sites like 2Bangkok are good resources for following the progress (or lack thereof) of Bangkok's mass transit projects. Plenty of good pictures too since it seems that anyone can walk onto construction sites.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:12 pm

Just like the opening of the airport.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Who would ever have expected that a large public works project in Bangkok would miss it's schedule?

I am shocked!

SHOCKED, I say!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:59 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I read in The Nation today that they are also looking to cut back the free travel during the 3 month trial phase to just 1 month of free travel.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Sarah DDS
Actually, it's the first trial run that was delayed to 5 December. March 2010 is now the timeframe for the expected opening.
The Thai media's use of "trial run" is confusing -- they've actually been running trains up and down the line in testing for several months now. The 5 December date is when the public trial period starts, means that people can use the line "for real", although probably with limited schedules.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Unhappy Airport-Bangkok Link faces further delay

Strike ends after govt pledge of union's role in SRT reorganisation

The opening of the high-speed rail link between Suvarnabhumi Airport and inner Bangkok, scheduled for December 5, could be further delayed following this week's strike by railroad workers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009...s_30105911.php

hell of an excuse, eh?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:10 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This was my first trip, and a taxi from the airport to the Hilton was 600 THB going, 500 return. Perhaps I was overcharged, but I was told 500 THB was usual for this trip.
Yes, you were grossly overcharged.....and whomever told you 500b was usual, is not your friend.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by maskedavenger
Yes, you were grossly overcharged.....and whomever told you 500b was usual, is not your friend.
"Grossly"? Assuming moderate traffic, that's about 100 B more than normal.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Airlines hope rail link is ready on time

The system will provide an efficient transport option between Suvarnabhumi and the city centre for some 50,000 passengers and 15,000 airline staff and airport workers who need to commute every day and endure the frustrations of long bus waits and unscrupulous taxi drivers ...

The government has tentatively fixed the airport rail link fare at 150 baht per person per trip on the express line, which does not make stops between the airport and Makkasan city terminal, a journey that takes 15 minutes.

The planned fare for the city line, which stops at the six stations along the way with a total running time of 30 minutes, is 45 baht for a single ride.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...-ready-on-time
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:31 am

What a terrible piece of journalism. "International airlines urged the government to ensure that the long-delayed airport link project is up and running at its latest promised date" indeed -- only they didn't mention that the "latest promised date" has been now been pushed back to April 2010.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:47 pm

A sneak peek inside the Makkasan City Air Terminal and the airport train station:

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bang...5624#post25624

Looks quite functional, I'm reminded of the KLIA Ekspres. Also looks pretty much ready to go to me, I wonder why it's still going to take another year to get it open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.