BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by jpatokal
A sneak peek inside the Makkasan City Air Terminal and the airport train station:

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bang...5624#post25624

Looks quite functional, I'm reminded of the KLIA Ekspres. Also looks pretty much ready to go to me, I wonder why it's still going to take another year to get it open?
Looks almost ready to go to me too. But I'm sure lots of systems and functionality testing remains to be done. Remember, Singapore-Changi Terminal 3 looked totally ready to go for a couple of months, yet the opening wasn't brought forward-- it opened when the builders/managers said it was ready. And it went much more smoothly than, say, Suvarnabhumi's opening, although the latter was a much bigger project.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Looks almost ready to go to me too. But I'm sure lots of systems and functionality testing remains to be done. Remember, Singapore-Changi Terminal 3 looked totally ready to go for a couple of months, yet the opening wasn't brought forward-- it opened when the builders/managers said it was ready. And it went much more smoothly than, say, Suvarnabhumi's opening, although the latter was a much bigger project.
Great to hear the airport link will be a reality. We will be there in 3 weeks, so I guess its a taxi or hotel car again this time though.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
... This was my first trip, and a taxi from the airport to the Hilton was 600 THB going, 500 return. Perhaps I was overcharged, but I was told 500 THB was usual for this trip. ...
Originally Posted by jpatokal
"Grossly"? Assuming moderate traffic, that's about 100 B more than normal.
In April BKK to Millennium Hilton (4pm) cost THB290+THB70 Tolls, a few days later the return at 12pm was THB235+Tolls.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm Reason: Rechecked documentation - was slighly higher
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by serfty
In April BKK to Millennium Hilton (4pm) cost THB275+THB70 Tolls, a few days later the return at 12pm was THB230+Tolls.
serfty - Thank you for your comments. Live and learn. The airport rail link cannot come too soon.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Will anyone ride it??

You can take a cab direct to your hotel for about 300THB. I can't see myself taking the train which will still require a cab ride to or from the main station. A single traveler might save a couple of bucks...but a couple would save nothing by taking the train.
Originally Posted by macabus
My thoughts exactly.
Among the FTers, there might be a few takers. I have met amny travelers who would be gthrilled at an option to pay betw3en 15-45 Bht versus 200-450 Bht for a taxi. That's right. I have paid as little as 200 Bht from the hotel t the airport ealry in the morning, and as much as 465 Bht from the airport to the Norhtern Bus Terminal.

A few times I took a public bus to catch a train to from Donmunag to Nong Khai, or Chiang Mai and even to Hualonphing Station to catch a train to HatYai for a total cost ranging between 35 and 45 Bht. It makes a big difference to backpackers who are travelling around the world on a limited budget. I myself depend on public transport quite a bit, even when I am traveling on business and someone else is paying for the trip. That sauid, I am more inclined to take Taxis in Thailand Malasyia and Singapore than in Japan or Europe.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Maybe it's a positive development for the Makkasan area and its ...... hotels that can now jack up their rates claiming "convenient for the airport"

Does anyone have a map showing this new route and how it hooks into the rest of the SRT lines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link
I suspect it runs along the eastern line that runs from Bangkok Hualongphong (Main Station) to Aranyaprathet near the Cambodian border at Poipet, as that line runs right by the airport. Of course, the Airport line is a standard gauge while the SRT is metre gauge.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BarryJS
This will probably be a bigger convenience for locals than overseas travellers.
Yes. Yes, I think so. It's not likely to be a substitute for a taxi from the airport. IT will offer alternate way for people who use public transport. The workers who work at BKK will be the ones that benefit the most. Right now, many of them commute to the Airport Transportation Center, using public bus or mnibuses and then take the free shuttle to the airport.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:29 pm

Just FYI, here's a map of the route, shown in pink:

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Note that the express route terminates at Makkasan (MRT interchange), with only commuter trains going to Phayathai (Skytrain).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Even without the airport line, one can, if one is inclined, wants to catch a train from Hua Lamphong and has the time, travel between the Hua Lamphing station and Suvaranbhimi Airport using the eastern line. There are three stations within short cab ride from the the airport (5-6 km). Lat Krabang, Pra Chom Klao and Hua Take.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Will anyone ride it??

You can take a cab direct to your hotel for about 300THB. I can't see myself taking the train which will still require a cab ride to or from the main station. A single traveler might save a couple of bucks...but a couple would save nothing by taking the train.
I agree 110% with exchange rate at about US$1 to THB 34, the savings is insignificant and inmaterial. If one has to budget so tightly, may be that person should stay home.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I agree 110% with exchange rate at about US$1 to THB 34, the savings is insignificant and inmaterial. If one has to budget so tightly, may be that person should stay home.
You are right that the savings by taking the train instead of a taxi are insignificant for people on vacation or on business.

But the rest of the world is not on vacation or on business. Nor does every one earns Western salaries. In addition to the airport employees who need to get there from the city. On some of my trips, I have met people travelling around the world, not the kind on which you just take RTW flights. I met One Spaniard biologist who started from Egypt, and had arrived in Pulau Tioman voa Israel, Syria, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzgegistan, Tadjikistan, China, India, (by land), Thailand (by air), on to Malaysia---Kota Bahru Pulau Perhentian, Trekked through the Jungles of Malasyia. I travelled with them to Mersing where we split. He had been travelling for 6 or 7 months at that time and had spend about 4500 Euros. People like that will use the cheapest option. Who am I, or anyone else to tell them to stay at home!

Last edited by seanthepilot; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Having witnessed scams at the bus to downtown (oh "I forgot" to give you the 500bh bill in your change) and from cabs on numerous tourists there are many people who'd be willing to pay for a transparent honest means of transit.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally would take this train, since I'm usually at the Westin or the SGS, both of which are easily accessible from the Sukhumvit MRT stop.

Not for the late-evening arrivals, because cab is easy enough.

There have been times when I hit some major traffic heading to the airport during business hours, and it would have been nice to have an option which gets to the airport at a reliable time - similar to how the Heathrow Express can command a premium through dependability/convenience.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Plato90s
I personally would take this train, since I'm usually at the Westin or the SGS, both of which are easily accessible from the Sukhumvit MRT stop.

Not for the late-evening arrivals, because cab is easy enough.

There have been times when I hit some major traffic heading to the airport during business hours, and it would have been nice to have an option which gets to the airport at a reliable time - similar to how the Heathrow Express can command a premium through dependability/convenience.
Precisely. If I can carry the amount of luggage I have and I am neither tired, nor accompanied by wife or children, I have used train/public transport to from the airport. It's quicker and safer, not dependent on whims of the drivers, and the possibility of being scammed is almost non-existent. Moreever, I can mitigate my carbon footprint by using public transport as often as I can.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:54 am

I suppose different transport modes suit different travellers, that's why airlines have first, business and economy classes while those staying at a two star hotel may have difficulties understanding why some travellers would pay 2 or 3 times more at a five star hotel. Different expectation and at the end, different affordability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.