Ongoing Thailand Meet a Flyertalker Thread [PRE-2015 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Lunch would be short notice.

I'm in town. Where is BarSu?
BarSu is the bar on the ground floor of SGS. If you're coming by BTS (Skytrain), get off at Asoke. There is an elevated walkway directly from the BTS station into the lobby of the SGS. Go into the lobby, down one level. By MRT, get off at Sukhumvit. You'll need to get to the other side of Suk. Then walk towards SGS and enter directly from the sidewalk as follows. If you're walking, there is a street level entrance from the sidewalk into SGS. Go in the door and BarSu is right in front of you, about five feet.

I'll be in khakis, dark short-sleeve shirt, short brown hair, glasses.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:47 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I'll try to make it for drinks at BarSu tonight too.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'll try to make it for drinks at BarSu tonight too.
I'll be heading to Superich beforehand. Since they close at 6 I might be a little early.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:33 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Hope y'all had a drink for me and mario33.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
dsquared37, seanthepilot and I had a lovely time. Nice old chatup. I'm here for a bit more, so I'll try to do at least one more. Anyone who's around and wants to meet up less formally, feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
dsquared37, seanthepilot and I had a lovely time. Nice old chatup. I'm here for a bit more, so I'll try to do at least one more. Anyone who's around and wants to meet up less formally, feel free to PM me.
Indeed, quite an enjoyable evening. I've met seanthepilot on a handful of occasions but it was my first time meeting Dr. HFH.

I look forward to repaying their graciousness, with food, in the near future.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
I'm up for dinner maybe one evening this week, if it's close to the BTS/MRT though that'd be great
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Tonight, in a few hours, several FTers are meeting at BarSu, at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (BTS Asoke at Suk Sio 12) and then maybe heading for dinner too. 6-8pm (Thur 21st).

Any FTers that are around are welcome to join us. Sorry for the short notice.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:15 am

Shucks, just got home, some more advance notice would be good

Mostly though it's just me being too lazy to head back out in the humidity for another 20 minutes of walking...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:30 pm

Bangkok

Hey everyone. I just stumbled across this forum on a thread on tripadvisor.com. I am traveling to Thailand for the first time and will arrive in Bangkok next Saturday. I have yet to book a hostel. Do you have any suggestions for a good place to stay that is innexpensive, close to nightlife, and a good place to meet other travelers? I just graduated from law school and am spending the month in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia before starting work. Also, how bad is the weather actually going to be. I know it is monsoon season, should I expect rain 24/7? I dont really mind rain I am just curious as far as packing. Finally, I am thinking about booking day trips and tours. Is this something you recommend doing ahead of time, or can a better deal be found if I wait?

Thanks for any info, so pumped for Bangkok!

-MJ
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mj06986
Hey everyone. I just stumbled across this forum on a thread on tripadvisor.com. I am traveling to Thailand for the first time and will arrive in Bangkok next Saturday. I have yet to book a hostel. Do you have any suggestions for a good place to stay that is innexpensive, close to nightlife, and a good place to meet other travelers? I just graduated from law school and am spending the month in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia before starting work. Also, how bad is the weather actually going to be. I know it is monsoon season, should I expect rain 24/7? I dont really mind rain I am just curious as far as packing. Finally, I am thinking about booking day trips and tours. Is this something you recommend doing ahead of time, or can a better deal be found if I wait?

-MJ
Welcome MJ

probably you might want to start a separate thread in the Thailand forum to answer your questions... but here's a quick overview:

I've never stayed in a hostel here, in part because hotels are so cheap, but I've seen lots of backpackers near Khaosan road, so I presume that'd be a good place to start.

September has the heaviest rain; I'd say right now you get rain every other day on average, but it doesn't usually last more than an hour (though is very heavy often).

Not sure about the day trips but it'd obviously be good if you at least write down which ones interest you ahead on time. Some, like tours of Halong Bay for example, will probably require advance booking.

Generally most people in Thailand and Vietnam are very friendly to tourists (though as you might expect, some older Vietnamese still seem to give the cold shoulder to anyone who looks American, but this is rare). I would say just be alert in Cambodia to people who may have less that honourable intentions, as Cambodia is the least developed country in SE Asia and has a bad past, which perhaps still "rubs off" today, so to speak.

Hope you have a great trip, and make sure to start a new thread for other questions
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mj06986

-MJ
Yes, check the "Budget Travel" or "Thailand' forum.

To book your rooms, try www.hostelworld.com or www.hostelbookers.com
But, note that prices are per person, so a double room will be 2x the per person price.

Pay special attention to the customer reviews to help make your choice

Sorry for the off topic continuation, just helping the newbie

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jul 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Yes, check the "Budget Travel" or "Thailand' forum.

To book your rooms, try www.hostelworld.com or www.hostelbookers.com
But, note that prices are per person, so a double room will be 2x the per person price.

Pay special attention to the customer reviews to help make your choice

Sorry for the off topic continuation, just helping the newbie
Of all the regulars in this forum I probably stay in the cheapest lodgings... and even i don't go to hostels NOR Khao San.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Of all the regulars in this forum I probably stay in the cheapest lodgings... and even i don't go to hostels NOR Khao San.
Nope. I do... I'm living for FREE in a nice "Life" apartment, courtesy of my girlfriend's family
Though cheap can be used to describe quality also, I suppose, so perhaps you do stay in the cheapest place

For my fellow flyertalkers, might I recommend visiting "ancient Siam" sometime, in Samut Prakan near the crocodile farm, it's got smaller versions of all the temples in Thailand and I found it quite enjoyable (it did help that the guy from my work who came with me used to be a Bangkok tourguide and loves history!)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
Nope. I do... I'm living for FREE in a nice "Life" apartment, courtesy of my girlfriend's family
Though cheap can be used to describe quality also, I suppose, so perhaps you do stay in the cheapest place
Possibly. But at least cheap is not the way i'm described.

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
For my fellow flyertalkers, might I recommend visiting "ancient Siam" sometime, in Samut Prakan near the crocodile farm, it's got smaller versions of all the temples in Thailand and I found it quite enjoyable (it did help that the guy from my work who came with me used to be a Bangkok tourguide and loves history!)
Might I recommend getting to real versions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.