Ongoing Thailand Meet a Flyertalker Thread [PRE-2015 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing Thailand Meet a Flyertalker Thread [PRE-2015 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:19 pm

thanks

thanks for the info everyone. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I'll check out the other one!

cheers
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Possibly. But at least cheap is not the way i'm described.

Might I recommend getting to real versions?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the sentiment of your post? My comment at your post was not meant in a derogatory or sarcastic way. I would prefer if you extended the same courtesy.

In what way would you like to describe me as cheap? A 23-year old Christian who is trying extremely hard to win over his girlfriend's father by getting an internship with a government agency over the summer, and graciously accepting an offer of living in one of her family's many apartments without paying rent for two months, makes me cheap? Perhaps I phrased my post in a slightly moronic way, but I would prefer if you did not assume the worst of people you do not know.

And have you gone to the place I mentioned? Sure, it's not the real thing. I would love to go to all the real places, and have already been to many. But I will say that seeing them all there (and in a fairly authentic way) provides a good comparison where one can see influences of all architectural styles throughout the country... Khmer, Burmese, Laotian, and true Siamese. It is a nice introduction to seeing all of these different places as most of us don't have the time to travel the entire length and breadth of Thailand in one or even multiple trips...

Please, I am not trying to start a flame-war, and indeed I'm sure you're a great person to converse with and I would be delighted to meet you sometime. But please give serious consideration to others' posts next time and don't necessarily assume that they are made in a cheap or derogatory manner...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:32 pm

Also, dsquared, please accept my apologies for the wording of this sentence: "Though cheap can be used to describe quality also, I suppose, so perhaps you do stay in the cheapest place"

I was tired last night and did not proof-read, so I believe that it came out in an easily mis-interpreted way. I really just meant to comment on the fact that cheap had many meanings as a descriptor, and that you did not necessarily mean that the cost was the cheapest. It was not meant in an insulting manner...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
Also, dsquared, please accept my apologies for the wording of this sentence: "Though cheap can be used to describe quality also, I suppose, so perhaps you do stay in the cheapest place"

I was tired last night and did not proof-read, so I believe that it came out in an easily mis-interpreted way. I really just meant to comment on the fact that cheap had many meanings as a descriptor, and that you did not necessarily mean that the cost was the cheapest. It was not meant in an insulting manner...

Mae pen rai. Baw pen nyang. Nor was i trying to insinuate you were cheap.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:10 am

Kob kuhn krap... I see you speak some northeast language too

Hope to meet you and the others sometime to talk about travelling. Do you live in Bangkok?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Hoi ka. Only signed in Thai. Samlan at the corner of soi 5.
That was a really great place - thank you for the advice, loved it - just the sort of authentic experience Mrs Fr and I love!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:27 am
Suspended

Possibly. But at least cheap is not the way i'm described.

Might I recommend getting to real versions?
I haven't been to ancient Siam but I have been to Sanctuary of
Truth. Kh Lek was an ardent conservationist and little Siam, from what I read and see is indeed a very real collection of Siam architecture and heritage.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Wish I'd know about this thread before I got to BKK! Fortunately, got to meet Dr.HFH and SeanthePilot via another FT'er on Thursday night, and then Dr.HFH was gracious enough to entertain my friend and I on Saturday and Monday!

Great to meet them both, and Dr.HFH was a fantastic source of information ....so anyone coming to BKK, seek him out!

I <heart> BKK!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jsfr
That was a really great place - thank you for the advice, loved it - just the sort of authentic experience Mrs Fr and I love!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Dr.HFH was a fantastic source of information ....so anyone coming to BKK, seek him out!
Thanks. Blush. Great to meet you, too, -- it was fun!!!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks. Blush. Great to meet you, too, -- it was fun!!!
Ok well, I just moved to BKK...perhaps another drinks and dinner somewhere here next week?

Oliver
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by oontiveros
Ok well, I just moved to BKK...perhaps another drinks and dinner somewhere here next week?

Oliver
+1
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drinks Tonight? Friday, July 29th

Anyone around tonight? How about meet at 6:30 in the bar on the roof of the Four Points, Suk Soi 15? Please post here or PM if you will attend. I know that it's a bit short notice.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Anyone around tonight? How about meet at 6:30 in the bar on the roof of the Four Points, Suk Soi 15? Please post here or PM if you will attend. I know that it's a bit short notice.
OK, having had no responses, and given that it clearly is going to rain, let's postpone. How about next Wednesday. Anyone going to be around? Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Place.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Sigh, my next trip isn't until 10 Nov.

See somebody then........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.