Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Last time I was at Surin I was drinking Blue Label like it was water because there was a typo on the menu - they were missing a 0 so it was $18usd a drink

Did they fix the typo? If not where was it? I might have to spend a night there
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mict
Did they fix the typo? If not where was it? I might have to spend a night there
It was down by Outrigger, I think it's The Promenade. From the beach looking West at the water Amanpuri was a few hundred yards away on my left.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Last time I was at Surin I was drinking Blue Label like it was water because there was a typo on the menu - they were missing a 0 so it was $18usd a drink
Blue Label isn't $180 a drink, anywhere.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Blue Label isn't $180 a drink, anywhere.
The missing number was in the Baht price, not USD and now that I look back at it they were actually missing the 1 in front not a zero at the end - my bad. Either way it was a wonderful typo!
Old May 11, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
How's Hua Hin weather in August? What's the beach like in general?

Have a week in Thailand in August, so far my only plan is to fly to Bangkok. From there I am open. Just want a beach resort and a nice beach, close to a town. Not in to sleazy bars etc.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Guvner067
How's Hua Hin weather in August? What's the beach like in general?

Have a week in Thailand in August, so far my only plan is to fly to Bangkok. From there I am open. Just want a beach resort and a nice beach, close to a town. Not in to sleazy bars etc.
Hua Hin is a great choice for a nice beach. Here is my photo collection of Hua Hin: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...7623540872334/

For Hua Hin activities, see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26499901-post100.html

Temperature hovers around 25-33 C (77-92 F) in August with 16 days of rain with 32 inches (~82 cm) monthly mean.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The great thing about Hua Hin is that it's close to Bangkok, it's an easy 2,5hrs drive.

For the rest it's not that spectacular, but a good destination to relax. And plenty of decent resorts....
Old May 12, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Thanks for the info. I've booked a suite at Centara for a few nights then I'll work out what to do when I get there.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Question. I haven't stayed outside of downtown Phuket before...any recommendations of good quality resorts up north or west of downtown Phuket with a nice view of the sea from the rooms/pool and good massages and local thai food nearby that's peaceful?
Old May 19, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RTW1
The great thing about Hua Hin is that it's close to Bangkok, it's an easy 2,5hrs drive.

For the rest it's not that spectacular, but a good destination to relax. And plenty of decent resorts....
When is the last time you did it in 2.5 hours? Was it at 3 am on a weekday?
Weekends are usually 4 hours, and with the construction going on since January rush hour is a nightmare adding another 30 minutes for 4 1/2 hours.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by wolf72
Question. I haven't stayed outside of downtown Phuket before...any recommendations of good quality resorts up north or west of downtown Phuket with a nice view of the sea from the rooms/pool and good massages and local thai food nearby that's peaceful?
What do you mean downtown Phuket? Do you mean Phuket town? Phuket is somewhat dead and isn't expected to be too busy this rainy season. You might want to consider Bang Tao towards the airport or if you want to stay close to Patong, Karon or Kata. Be warned: Raw sewage will run into Patong bay during rainy season and there are still complaints about the hotels at Karon dumping their black water sewage.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:21 pm

Thoughts on Mandarava? Going for 6 nights next March, trying to keep it under $300/night.

Is there anything asides from Hyatt Regency that has private pools at that price?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ghitt87
Thoughts on Mandarava? Going for 6 nights next March, trying to keep it under $300/night.

Is there anything asides from Hyatt Regency that has private pools at that price?
You can check Dewa resort. I wanted to stay there in April but the prices were unbelievable (for my budget). I think the villa with private pool goes for $200-$300 a night. I've stayed in villa hotel next to it (without private pool) and I liked it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...63!4d98.299552

My other recommendation would be Centara resort next to the airport and Mai Khao beach. They don't have private pools, but they have really nice suites, the hotel is in very nice location (right on the beach), and they have great restaurants on site. Plus, there is plenty of local restaurants within 3 minutes walking distance from the hotel.

Marriott property north of Mai Khao beach has private swimming pools (I think its Renaissance hotel).

Check hotels from Nai Yang beach all the way to Sai Kaew beach. Quiet areas with decently priced villas/suites.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:48 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Lots of rooms/villas with private pools.... so many, it'd be hard to guess.

Even the big chains do. You can try there. Don't forget the Centara group, too. They have one resort where every room has a private pool.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heads up for those flying internationally, directly to HKT...

Take a number: Phuket Airport immigration still overloaded

PHUKET: Tourists arriving at Phuket International Airport continue to have to wait hours to clear immigration, despite immigration officials saying they have more officers on duty during peak times.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/take-a-...wYTosj58sXW.97

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.