FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
As ...

A simple, very polite way to ask for more of something (usually food in a restaurant) would be: "kor (xxxxx) perm, noi khrup" (note I assumed a male is making the request... if female, substitute ka for khrup). Just insert the thai noun for xxxxx. For example, asking for more meat, you'd substitute "neu-a." A woman asking for more rice would be "kor kow perm, noi ka"

If you're dealing with a street vendor, you might try something simple like "oww eek.... dai, mai khrup?" which means "I want some more... is that possible?" Such phraseology would rarely be used by native Thai speakers, but in practice would certainly suffice to get your point across.
Very polite indeed. AFAIR, I have never really ask as nicely as you have. I have always just order another serving. By the way, your Thai is very good.^

drew
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ddrewboy
If you are at street vendors, then tell them you want "Pi-set" which means special. They'll give you more meat then. If that's still not enough, I just order an extra serving. it's only 1 USD anyway

drew
I had read Pi-set somewhere, but the context made it sound like Pi-set was the name of the 5 baht coin like "nickel" is used in the US.

A simple, very polite way to ask for more of something (usually food in a restaurant) would be: "kor (xxxxx) perm, noi khrup" (note I assumed a male is making the request... if female, substitute ka for khrup). Just insert the thai noun for xxxxx. For example, asking for more meat, you'd substitute "neu-a." A woman asking for more rice would be "kor kow perm, noi ka"
For the next few trips I think I'll stick with "Pi-set" as I'm having enough trouble just remembering basic terms from trip to trip for the xxxx's. For the past week I've been under the assumption that moo is beef until the taxi driver corrected me on the way to the airport.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I had read Pi-set somewhere, but the context made it sound like Pi-set was the name of the 5 baht coin like "nickel" is used in the US.
Not coincidentally, to get the special, you will normally pay 5 baht more. I should edit Pi-set to Pi-sed. The i is a short ee.

So Kao mun gai would be kao mun gai pi sed

drew
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I had read Pi-set For the past week I've been under the assumption that moo is beef until the taxi driver corrected me on the way to the airport.
Early on, I did find it ironic that moo is pork.

Actually, FWIW, neu-a, while technically meaning beef, is sometimes used generically to differentiate 'meat' from chicken (gai) and fish (plaa).
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by rjh
Well, I put a placemark on the map for this, but I'll leave it to someone else to move it appropriately.
I'm new to this. I don't know how to move the placement.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm new to this. I don't know how to move the placement.
Click on edit at the top of the Bangkok Restaurants list window on the left. You should be able to then move the placemarks. Right click to add, move and label a placemark.

Nice map.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
rjh, you are a legend, I used to spend hours finding obsure restaurants that transpac, ddrewboy, megatoplover and ual would talk about, now all I need do is print off a map and say go there!!!! Everyone asks why I love Bangkok, but I think finding new and exciting food places has to be one of the main reasons. I am kept so busy catching up on the places recommended, that I never get to be a trail blazer and find anything new myself. thanks bkkrop
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
rjh, you are a legend... <snip> Everyone asks why I love Bangkok, but I think finding new and exciting food places has to be one of the main reasons.
Agree! The map is a great collaborative tool, and there's not too much better to collaborate on than Thai food Just one question: is there any way to periodically back up the restaurant database? I ask this in case things gets messed up, which seems to me to be possible if a bunch of people are (with good intentions) working on the map, and inadvertently drag placeholders, delete entries, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:02 pm

I will shamelessly plug a restaurant.

Pla dib (raw fish) restaurant at the top of Soi Ari Samphan 7 or 8. It's about 10 baht motorcycle ride from Ari BTS station. It's a fusion restaurant (Japanese, Thai, and Italian) which uses top notch ingredients. They have a brick/cement pizza oven outside but it was not used the last time I was there.

The owner is like a brother to me and I used to be the guinea pig when he "experimented" with food back in high school.

If anyone want some more info, let me know.

By the way, was there ever a BKK DO?

drew

Last edited by ddrewboy; Mar 11, 2008 at 11:09 pm Reason: put in translation
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pla dib (raw fish) restaurant at the top of Soi Ari Samphan 7 or 8. It's about 10 baht motorcycle ride from Ari BTS station. It's a fusion restaurant (Japanese, Thai, and Italian) which uses top notch ingredients. They have a brick/cement pizza oven outside but it was not used the last time I was there.

The owner is like a brother to me and I used to be the guinea pig when he "experimented" with food back in high school.

drew
You should this to the Google map. You can add information in the detail box. Judging from your description it sounds like it might be on Rama VI Soi 30?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:09 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH

drew
Here's how I added a tentaive placemark for this restaurant. Once you know the method, you'll see how easy it is to add to the map.

I brought up the Bangkok Eating map and entered "pla dib" in the search box. Two previous placemarks came up, more or less in the same place, and near where Drew indicated the restaurant was. Then, I just saved to the map, changed the icon and name approproately, and entered his caption info.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:11 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Agree! The map is a great collaborative tool, and there's not too much better to collaborate on than Thai food Just one question: is there any way to periodically back up the restaurant database? I ask this in case things gets messed up, which seems to me to be possible if a bunch of people are (with good intentions) working on the map, and inadvertently drag placeholders, delete entries, etc.
Yeah, I've been a bit worried about both inadvertent changes/deletions and, frankly, vandalism. I considered having it open to editing by invitation only, but decided to let sanuk take precedence.

About all one could do is create a separate map and save the placemarks to it, one by one, I believe.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:02 am

Does any one know when the last time BKK map was updated by google? My childhood home location is now conveniently covered by clouds

I guess it really doesnt matter much since it has burned down 5 yrs ago. It was still present in the map last year

drew
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjh
Here's how I added a tentaive placemark for this restaurant. Once you know the method, you'll see how easy it is to add to the map.

I brought up the Bangkok Eating map and entered "pla dib" in the search box. Two previous placemarks came up, more or less in the same place, and near where Drew indicated the restaurant was. Then, I just saved to the map, changed the icon and name approproately, and entered his caption info.
OK, color me perplexed. Did one or more people, other than someone reading this FT thread, add "pla dib", before we did?

I am on now on a mission to discover/re-discover old haunts...TbC
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by transpac
OK, color me perplexed. Did one or more people, other than someone reading this FT thread, add "pla dib", before we did?

I am on now on a mission to discover/re-discover old haunts...TbC
I think so. I saw it last night before I posted Pla Dib. That's why I didnt mark it on the map.

drew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.