Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Has anyone tried Vientiane? (Lhor BTS, 150m on right in soi 36 Vientiane Kitchen). It's one of the recommendations in the Luxe guide.
I've eaten there a few times, but the last time I got a nasty dose of food poisoning. I like their food, but haven't been back.

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; Dec 13, 2008 at 2:14 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:49 pm

You can pay a lot for food in a nice place if you want you can also eat a simple meal in a food court or even a supermarket in-store restaurant.

I like the little restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 5 in the Foodland Supermarket. I have been eating there every now and then for over 10 years. Open 24 hours. You can pay more for meals but they probably won't taste any better. Asian and Western specialties.

http://www.cityphotoguide.com/node/268
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:08 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Ok, I added Foodland to the Bangkok restaurants map. I'm retweeting the link for latecomers to this thread.

Feel free to add and refine placemarks. Please don't edit it unless you know what you're doing. I don't want to keep recreating lost placemarks.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Late Night Cafe - Silom/Saladaeng Area

I am hoping someone more familiar with the area than I will have some suggestions. I will be staying at Saladaeng Soi 1 and am looking for late night cafes/restaurants etc that may be available late, say 1-2AM. Any variety of food and hopefully with a variety, Thai and western. Even a hotel that has a coffee shop open all night possibly? Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I am hoping someone more familiar with the area than I will have some suggestions. I will be staying at Saladaeng Soi 1 and am looking for late night cafes/restaurants etc that may be available late, say 1-2AM. Any variety of food and hopefully with a variety, Thai and western. Even a hotel that has a coffee shop open all night possibly? Thanks for any help!
I ran across this site so looks like I may have answered my own question. http://www.coffeesociety.co.th/index.htm I would be interested in opinions of this place along with any other suggestions.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I ran across this site so looks like I may have answered my own question. http://www.coffeesociety.co.th/index.htm I would be interested in opinions of this place along with any other suggestions.
Decent coffee house. Full range of coffee selections like in the West (double half-caf soy frappa macchi whatever). Wide range of snacky items, maybe even some more substantial made-to-order dishes. Definitely a place where people come and hang out and watch Silom go by. Strong gay following, but not exclusively gay by any stretch.

If you can stomach it, there's also a Starbucks on Soi Convent, just a little ways down from Silom. I'm not sure how late they're open.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Decent coffee house. Full range of coffee selections like in the West (double half-caf soy frappa macchi whatever). Wide range of snacky items, maybe even some more substantial made-to-order dishes. Definitely a place where people come and hang out and watch Silom go by. Strong gay following, but not exclusively gay by any stretch.

If you can stomach it, there's also a Starbucks on Soi Convent, just a little ways down from Silom. I'm not sure how late they're open.
Thanks, I will give it a try and report back.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
street vendor cooking

For those who like street food in Bangkok (and elsewhere in Thailand), here's a link to several street vendor cooking videos. There are some nice cooking tips, too. Making sticky rice never looked so easy.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Through a great food blog out of Singapore that I follow, I stumbled upon a blog by someone living in Thailand. He's a photographer and has two streams in his blog. One on food and one on photography.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:22 pm

Recommendations for Excellent Thai Restaurant

We are a group of 10 people who have never been to Bangkok and are looking for a place to have an excellent (cost is almost no object), memorable (for the right reasons) Thai meal. Would also want a place that allowed us to make reservations. What are your recommendations?

TIA
SAS
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by steve-o
We are a group of 10 people who have never been to Bangkok and are looking for a place to have an excellent (cost is almost no object), memorable (for the right reasons) Thai meal. Would also want a place that allowed us to make reservations. What are your recommendations?

TIA
SAS
Try the restaurant on top of the Banyan tree called Vertigo.

Or try the one of the Dome which is called Sirocco.

These both offer the best views in BKK. They have websites. Google the same.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by steve-o

TIA
SAS
If you are looking for Thai food, though, there are many traps for the foreign tourist. There are many places to pay over 20 USD for a bowl of disappointing tom yam soup with chalky oversized river prawns. Sirocco and Vertigo are certainly memorable and I highly recommend them if you are going to be in BKK for dry season, or the top of the Mini dealership on Ekkamai for someplace more intimate, but they're not really Thai food places. Bed Supper Club on Soi 11 would also be very memorable, but again, not purely Thai food.

The Blue Elephant (?) at the JW Marriott is pretty good, although ambience is fairly generic. Actually, the best upscale Thai food I've had is probably the riverside restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel, about an 8 or 9 on the authentic scale. Anything more authentic, you'd have to take a big drop in price and hit the numerous Thai restaurants in Bangkok that serve excellent Thai food (shout out to Same Old Place on Soi 22 as my favorite).
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Second the suggestion for the Peninsula. I had a very memorable, special, and delicious meal there with a group of people a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
The Blue Elephant (?) at the JW Marriott is pretty good, although ambience is fairly generic. Actually, the best upscale Thai food I've had is probably the riverside restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel, about an 8 or 9 on the authentic scale. Anything more authentic, you'd have to take a big drop in price and hit the numerous Thai restaurants in Bangkok that serve excellent Thai food (shout out to Same Old Place on Soi 22 as my favorite).
What about the Blue Elephant restaurant in Sathorn? Nice classic building. http://www.blueelephant.com/bangkok/index.html
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool

The Blue Elephant (?) at the JW Marriott is pretty good, although ambience is fairly generic.
I am sure you are trying to say the White Elephant Thai Restaurant at the JW Marriott Bangkok. I usually stay at the JW Marriott and have had many memorable meals at the White Elephant, great food with excellent service. The same goes to Ban Khanitha. The White Elephant is a great choice for food and the Thai folklore show, but as you said the ambiance and decor is generic ...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...hotel-bangkok/

For "authentic" Thai food in Bangkok, I recommend Chote Chitr, a little restaurant on the edge of Ratanakosin just off Thanon Tanao. I've eaten there several times, and, in my opinion, it is the best food ever Thai or otherwise, here is the address:

Chote Chitr — 146 Soi Phraeng Phuton (near the Democracy Monument). Open Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. Telephone: 66-2-221-408.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14053297

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.