Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Old Jan 22, 08, 3:26 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Favourite BKK dining

Thought I would add some of my personal suggestions to the thread:

Restaurants:

D'Sens -French Modern by Michelin-starred chefs inside Dusit Thani Hotel (Sala Daeng)

Italianate- great Italian inside the Conrad, lovely decor (Phloen Chit)

Giusto -Italian, minimalist decor; exquisite truffle soup and seasonal choices(Sukhumvit soi 23)

Sirocco - Med food on the 63rd floor of Lebua State Tower, top-rated by Conde Nast. Warm lobster salad is my favorite. Most of food over-rated IMO. Dessert buffet is very disappointing; better to order a la carte. (Saphan Taksin)

Cy'an -Mediterranean inside the Met, white & chic, staff sports Yamamoto outfits (Chong Nonsi)

Harvey- Californian, modern cuisine such as lobster spaghetti (Thong Lo)

Bacchus -Italian & wine bar, chic decor & DJ owned by a Japanese guy (Phloen Chit)

To Die For- Casual, loungey spot with daybeds in the inner courtyard. Home cooking with a twist. (Thong Lo)

Lenotre- Wonderful cafe serving great food and pastries; great purple chairs; many locations (I usually go to the one on Soi Lang Suan)

Spring- serves Thai and also has chocolate bar Summer and outside space Winter (Phrom Pong)

Biscotti- Italian inside the Four Seasons- great for lunch, good wine list and nice desserts (Ratchadamri)

Crepes & Co- Fun & cozy place for crepes with comfy loungey sofas and the cool resident cat Mr. Crepe (Sukhumvit)

Kuppa- International, great Sukhumvit lunch spot, sofas & magazines. Expat-heavy but otherwise really nice. (Asok)

There are also many great afternoon teas in Bangkok including at the Oriental and Shangri-La. Great brunches are abundant, Four Seasons has a good one and Iso inside the Swissotel is one of the best.

Cafe Kakao is great new French cafe in Phom Prong featuring French music and great variety of chocolate desserts and homemade hot chocolate.

The Food Court inside Siam Paragon is also great for a quick bite if you're in the Siam area.

Bars:

Moon Bar-Outside bar on 61st floor of the Banyan Tree
Syn Bar- Eurochic futuristic lounge & cool drinks inside Nai Lert Park Hotel
Bed Supper Club- food & club- didn't find the food to be that great but then again that's not what you come for
Narcissus- Popular club-bar, many int'l DJs
Dali- small, relaxed art-bar, nice couches in Khao San area
Old Jan 22, 08, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by transpac View Post
My pizza post quoted above is ~ 3 years old.
Yeah, I went through the topic in reverse order and it took me a while to realize that most of the topic is 3+ years old.

The current hot-spot is New York Style Pizza on Sukhumvit Soi 55 (Thong Lo) on Soi 55 directly opposite Thong Lo Soi 8).
Cool, I'll check it out.
Old Jan 22, 08, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Elena View Post
There are also many great afternoon teas in Bangkok including at the Oriental and Shangri-La.
I've read about "afternoon teas" before (at places like the Peninsula in BKK and HKG) but never actually investigated it... exactly what is an afternoon tea?

I assume it's more than just drinking tea in the afternoon, or it wouldn't be a note-worthy enough event that I'd read about it so often.

Would it be worth a trip to the Shrangri-La to check out?
Old Jan 22, 08, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA Gold, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Afternoon tea is what most Americans (wrongly) call "high tea." It's a selection of teas with finger sandwiches, scones, canapes, chocolates, the whole schmere. Sometimes a glass of champagne might be included.
Old Feb 4, 08, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Valentines day

Any recommendations for a nice place to eat for Valentines night?

I have checked on the Dome (too expensive at 38,000+++ per couple) What do they serve you??? Gold plated lobster? Vertigo, again a little on the expensive side at 12,000 +++ per couple set menu.

What other options do i have? Wanted to do something "out of the box" something with a view???
Old Feb 4, 08, 2:44 pm

In the past, MahaNaga has had a nice St. V's dinner ... ~3500 baht for 2, including champagne, as I recall.
Old Feb 5, 08, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bob7032 View Post
In the past, MahaNaga has had a nice St. V's dinner ... ~3500 baht for 2, including champagne, as I recall.
Looks quite nice & it's on Sukhamvit. Any others?
Old Feb 6, 08, 8:33 pm

You could try this one ...
http://www.fodors.com/world/asia/tha...ty_143680.html
Old Feb 7, 08, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bob7032 View Post
Sounds like a good place. thanks! Will have to dig up some more links as this one was very brief.
Old Feb 7, 08, 8:55 am

Baan Klang Nam is very, very different from MahaNaga. While the setting of BKN by the river is very nice, like most Thai restaurants it lacks in decor and overall ambiance. If you go, reserve a table by the river and NOT in the house.

BKN is also more traditional Thai (not fusion like MahaNaga) and it is significantly cheaper (2 people can easily eat here for ~1k baht).

Totally different places. Try them both! (but I'd choose MahaNaga for St. V's)
Old Mar 1, 08, 7:58 am

Programs: BA silver
Three restaurants we keep returning to are Tongue Thai, Mango House and Lemongrass.
Tongue Thai- if you are using Nancy Chandlers map- I found it quite confusing and we spent ages finding it the first time. Decor is fairly basic but the food is fabulous.
Mango House- just past Patpong market.
Lemongrass- an old Thai house and this is probably my favourite.
Old Mar 1, 08, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an effort to help others locate your recommendations I found the following:

http://www.hotelthailand.com/ezine/2...ue3/zine5.html

Tongue Thai Restaurant,
18-20 Charoen Krung 38, Bangkok 10500,
Tel (66-2) 630-9918-9, Fax (66-2) 712-5943.
Open 11am-11pm, all major credit cards accepted, reservations recommended.

It looks like it would be down Soi Charoen Krung 38 on the left. Soi Charoen Kung 38 is a sub-soi off the major road, Charoen Krung, on the left about mid-way between Silom and Surawon Roads.

I could find a Mango Tree restaurant near Patpong but not a Mango House restaurant.
Mango Tree
Tucked in a quiet soi between the busy Silom and Surawongse Roads, Mango Tree is made up of two old houses, with intriguing photos of a past Bangkok on the wall and a collection of old cameras. Although cheap, this restaurant still serves fantastic fine Thai food. The dishes are influenced from all corners of Thailand and the spicy green and red curries are particularly tasty.
37 Soi Tantawan, Surawongse Road
Tel: (02) 236 2820.
I found a Soi Than Tawan off of Surawong Road opposite the Tawana Ramada? This soi is on the left walking down Surawong, and away from Patpong. It looks like it jogs through to Silom Road where it turns into Soi Silom 6.

Lemograss, Sukhumvit Soi 24
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bangkok/D3135.html

Maybe I should figure out how to put placemarks on a Google map, to share with readers here? Is that hard to do?
Old Mar 2, 08, 2:25 am

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM
Maybe I should figure out how to put placemarks on a Google map, to share with readers here? Is that hard to do?
It's super-easy to do, and would be really appreciated by all! ^ We can even turn on the "collaborate" feature for threads like this. Maybe a link could be turned into a sticky at one point.

In fact, Google would then use your map to help with future query results, in places without a detailed addressing system.

(As an example, I did our Tokyo vacation map in maybe 20 minutes.)
Old Mar 2, 08, 7:09 am

oh dear
yes - I did mean Mango Tree(Mango House is India)Sorry about the confusion.
Old Mar 2, 08, 7:22 am

Tongue Thai used to be known as Witches Tavern. Its website is here

Search this Thread