Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Where does it say the fine was 10,000 baht?
It doesn't. I didn't put it into the post. That's what the police told my manager on the phone.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sure, -- here you go. Link.
OK, thanks. I assumed a more recent encounter.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:18 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
We landed at or before 7am. Immigration line was HUGE. I went down to ARL level to change money once through.

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Why not take the train to Makkasan and MRT down one stop?
Moving from one country to another with a 2 day stop in Thailand, I had far too many overweight pieces to take the train.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
We landed at or before 7am. Immigration line was HUGE. I went down to ARL level to change money once through.

Moving from one country to another with a 2 day stop in Thailand, I had far too many overweight pieces to take the train.
Good call. I took the ARL to Makkasan and then switched to MRT last night. With just a slightly heavy carry-on plus computer bag it was a hassle. The ARL lines for tickets were 30 deep, MRT lines were 50 deep for tickets.

Add: MRT was jammed. Disneyland-style tape lines set up in the downstairs, train level waiting area queues.

Thankfully, it was a one station trip only.

I have difficulty in deciding which is the better option - ARL to Phaya Thai (more stations, added time/distance on the trains) or ARL to Makkasan (shorter distance on the trains but much longer walk to get to MRT station.) Both can be equally crowded.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I have difficulty in deciding which is the better option - ARL to Phaya Thai (more stations, added time/distance on the trains) or ARL to Makkasan (shorter distance on the trains but much longer walk to get to MRT station.) Both can be equally crowded.
If my destination is along BTS west of Nana I typically head to Phaya Thai and transfer there otherwise I'll cross over to MRT at Makkasan.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
With 4 a.m. departure time a week ago had a lot of time to waste. I was amazed at how long the ARL lines were after 11 p.m.

On a side note, way back in the back way past entrance to ARL there are restrooms, alas when I noted that there was no toilet paper, reply was "not have"
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took the ARL to Makkasan and then switched to MRT last night.

Good thing you didn't arrive Friday evening, after an unusually heavy bout of rain pretty much the entire city was gridlocked for ~ 5 hours. At Asoke, lines were down all the stairs, and into the MRT, spilling out onto the footpaths. Traffic on Google Maps was dark red everywhere.

I swear we went from very few tourists on Thursday to a gazillion on Friday. Hard to get on the BTS almost everywhere given the number of folks with massive bags.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like the company which operates the DMK-Silom, and DMK-Khao San Road "limo buses" is now offering a similar service from/to Suvarnabhumi/BKK.

Airport Limobus Express Airport Suvarnabhumi Airport One way ticket is 180 baht. Arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport, 1st Floor, Gate 8 from 05.45am to 01.00am.

1. Suvarnabhumi Airport - Khaosan Road

2. Suvarnabhumi International Airport - Silom Road - Siam

??. 100

DMK service: Limobus Bangkok Airport, Don Mueang Airport Bus
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Anyone with recent experience with Grab flat fare BKK to city?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Anyone with recent experience with Grab flat fare BKK to city?
Last week, 1PM, 360 baht, didn't take the highway otherwise tolls would have been added. I'm not sure I'd refer to this as a flat fare though, at least it isn't like previously with Uber. The fares seem to jump around but this was one of the cheaper I've seen recently.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Last week, 1PM, 360 baht, didn't take the highway otherwise tolls would have been added. I'm not sure I'd refer to this as a flat fare though, at least it isn't like previously with Uber. The fares seem to jump around but this was one of the cheaper I've seen recently.
Thanks - I know it varies - but I can't remember if I take the highway if I pay the driver directly (with Uber I was so used to paying in cash I did that but then the app charged me too- I think Grab is like the regular taxi for tolls even if I take uber car not uber taxi).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks - I know it varies - but I can't remember if I take the highway if I pay the driver directly (with Uber I was so used to paying in cash I did that but then the app charged me too- I think Grab is like the regular taxi for tolls even if I take uber car not uber taxi).
I always use grab pay and any tolls or incidentals are added to the charge when the receipt is emailed. Unlike Uber the tolls are not included in the initial stated cost.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can use the app. pretty much anytime to get a feel for availability/pricing - just enter Suvarnabhumi, and your desired destination: just now 09:36 on Monday, 17 Dec. SBIA/BKK door #5/Level 2 to Terminal 21 (Asoke) 367 baht. Going the other way, from Asoke to SBIA/BKK I get 412 baht.

Looks like there are ~ ten vehicles within a few hundred meters, at the airport.

(LINE Man Taxi quotes a fare of 300-340 plus a 20 baht booking fee for SBIA/BKK-Asoke.)

Toll payment varies by driver and vehicle, IME, but it has always been extra (over the quoted price) for me.

I only pay in cash.

DMK to Terminal 21: 303 baht.
estnet likes this.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
You can use the app. pretty much anytime to get a feel for availability/pricing - just enter Suvarnabhumi, and your desired destination: just now 09:36 on Monday, 17 Dec. SBIA/BKK door #5/Level 2 to Terminal 21 (Asoke) 367 baht. Going the other way, from Asoke to SBIA/BKK I get 412 baht.

Looks like there are ~ ten vehicles within a few hundred meters, at the airport.

(LINE Man Taxi quotes a fare of 300-340 plus a 20 baht booking fee for SBIA/BKK-Asoke.)

Toll payment varies by driver and vehicle, IME, but it has always been extra (over the quoted price) for me.

I only pay in cash.

DMK to Terminal 21: 303 baht.
Thanks - I can't do it b/c I'm in the US and I just get a message "Grab is not available in your area" so I need to wait until I get to Thailand to get prices I don't have line but I guess I need to download it. I'm going to The River (near Ibis and The Peninsula) and with the construction for the new transport and now Iconsiam I am afraid the last mile will take forever!!! If I didn't have heavy luggage I'd do it another way ---
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to The River

Grab, SBIA/BKK to The River (I chose the North Tower), shows as 434 baht.

Didn't realize it wouldn't work outside of Thailand, a VPN might help, if that's available to you?

You can check routing and distance (and traffic) on Google Maps. Right now showing 37.7 Km, but 1h18min via Rt 7, and 50.5 Km/1h7min via Bang Na Trat. During rush hour maybe plan for closer to two hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.