Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Do NOT negotiate fare. If they won't use the meter, find another taxi.'
If the taxi came out ahead using the meter the taxi driver would not be trying so hard to get you to take the negotiated rate. Make sure the meter is on!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If the taxi came out ahead using the meter the taxi driver would not be trying so hard to get you to take the negotiated rate. Make sure the meter is on!
Unfortunately the crux of the No meter/negotiated fare scam is that the drivers are preying on first time or naive visitors who have no clue on what the actual fare should be.
Generally this happens for two reasons: Pax is new and hasn't got a clue, or Pax comes from a country with significantly higher taxi fares, and thinks the negotiated fare is a bargain compared to home

Last edited by seavisionburma; Mar 26, 2018 at 4:53 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by estnet
Just got an email saying Grab and Uber will merge under Grab Is this for real?
Just got this in my inbox:

Dear Mr XXXX,

We want to share some news with you - Uber will be combining our operations with Grab to lead you in the next chapter of ridesharing in Myanmar and across Southeast Asia.

What this means for you: we will be transitioning our services over to the Grab platform by 8th April, so all requests after that date should be made from the Grab app. However, you can still use the Uber app in more than 80 countries around the world.

What you should do:

Download the Grab app here
Create an account
For new Grab riders, apply promo code GRAB4W and take your first Grab ride

For more information on this transition, please visit Uber or Grab.

Thank you, and we look forward to continuing to serve your city with Grab.

Regards,
Uber.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Correct. Announced over the weekend, and its getting a lot of airtime and web coverage today.

LINK
This was foretold in Jan when SoftBank became the largest Uber shareholder. SoftBank also has a substantial stake in Grab. Pretty much everything that was just announced was expected but I'm still not thrilled. I've been using Grab a lot in Phnom Penh the last week or two mostly because of the introductory promos they've been running and the drivers are absolutely clueless, reckless, occasionally attempting outright fraud and there's zero CS presence. At least with Uber they respond to queries and I've had issues addressed. Grab? total radio silence.

Uber just released a new promo for Bangkok this morning through April 1 and I hope it works as I'll need it later in the week.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:13 am

We've been lucky in Myanmar (specifically Yangon)
There had never been any regulation of taxis there and Grab and Uber came in and offered an alternative for both drivers and users which worked. Unfortunately Uber changed their pricing and driver commissions during last year, and the result was that nearly all drivers defected to Grab. Users followed suit for two reasons- less Uber availability and Grab had rolling promo codes (still do)

You're also right about the news of this - it has been in play for some time, so we've all been expecting this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

Bangkok taxis lesson #1

Do NOT negotiate fare. If they won't use the meter, find another taxi.
From the airport, using the official taxi queueing system, the drivers are required to switch on the meter, and you pay a 50 baht airport surcharge in addition to the fare+tolls on arrival to your destination

Visitors to Bangkok who continue to take taxis on a fixed fare just make the situation worse.

Please please forget this notion of 'negotiated price'
In my post I wanted to know what the 'correct fare' should be for the place I wanted to get to. Once I know this, I am perfectly capable of negotiating how much I am willing to pay. Going by the meter, apart from attracting other fees, also leaves me vulnerable to a driver taking a longer route than necessary. Using an APP is a solution of course; but now that Uber has bowed out, I don't think there is anything to stop Grab from raising its prices? But my main problem with an APP is that I will have no mobile data available on my phone when I land. Hence, for me, a negotiated rate seems the way to go.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
In my post I wanted to know what the 'correct fare' should be for the place I wanted to get to. Once I know this, I am perfectly capable of negotiating how much I am willing to pay. Going by the meter, apart from attracting other fees, also leaves me vulnerable to a driver taking a longer route than necessary. Using an APP is a solution of course; but now that Uber has bowed out, I don't think there is anything to stop Grab from raising its prices? But my main problem with an APP is that I will have no mobile data available on my phone when I land. Hence, for me, a negotiated rate seems the way to go.
What part of 'do not negotiate' is confusing?

Going by meter may, might, possibly give rise to a higher than necessary fare. Negotiating is guaranteeing you pay more than necessary.

So in order to avoid the possibility of paying more you want to guarantee you pay more?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What part of 'do not negotiate' is confusing?

Going by meter may, might, possibly give rise to a higher than necessary fare. Negotiating is guaranteeing you pay more than necessary.

So in order to avoid the possibility of paying more you want to guarantee you pay more?
Ah, this is where your fallacy lies. If the approximate metered fare, say, is THB 400 + fees / tolls, there is no reason why I cannot negotiate this to a much lower fare, say THB 300 or even THB 250 total. Why would a driver agree to a lower fare? Usually due to the laws of supply and demand: If he has to wait a long time to get a passenger in the official queue and I offer him a reasonable price for an instant ride (especially after he has just dropped a passenger), many drivers will take my offer. Of course if for some reason that is not the case even after the n..th driver has refused my offer, I always have the option of revising my offer, joining the official taxi queue or in the worst case scenario, hop on to the airport train. I have done this successfully in more places than I can recall (Istanbul, KL, Delhi etc), but of course there are places that I would not try anything like that (e.g. Tokyo, Singapore etc) but in those places taxi drivers are honest and the rip-off risk is low.

But please, do not assume that Negotiating is guaranteeing you pay more than necessary.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But please, do not assume that Negotiating is guaranteeing you pay more than necessary.
You asked about Bangkok and were given information on Bangkok. A negotiated rate in Bangkok will 100% be above metered rate. Period. You are dealing with drivers who would rather have no fare than a smaller fare.

If you truly believe that a hack at BKK airport or city is willing to give you a ride for less than the metered rate you're living in a fantasy land. But please, go ahead and waste your time.
craz and seavisionburma like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If you are not paying more than what you would pay on the meter, the driver will not agree to a negotiate rate with you and will either turn on the meter or not give you the ride. Any negotiated offer accepted will absolutely be higher than the meter. If the driver accepts your offer you will know you are paying too much. There is zero reason for the driver to accept less than what the meter would show and the driver knows how much that should be. The fact you have to ask about the fare indicates you shouldn't try to outsmart the driver.

You are being given solid advice by many people familiar with Bangkok cabs. Ask for the meter, turn on your GPS and if the driver deviates ask why and get the hotel involved once you are there. If the driver goes out of the way the hotel will force the driver to take a reasonable fare. Negotiating the fare ahead of time guarantees you will pay too much because you are a novice and the driver is an expert.

Fortunately for you taxis are inexpensive in BKK so you are only going to lose a few bucks.
craz and dsquared37 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Ah, this is where your fallacy lies. If the approximate metered fare, say, is THB 400 + fees / tolls, there is no reason why I cannot negotiate this to a much lower fare, say THB 300 or even THB 250 total. Why would a driver agree to a lower fare? Usually due to the laws of supply and demand: If he has to wait a long time to get a passenger in the official queue and I offer him a reasonable price for an instant ride (especially after he has just dropped a passenger), many drivers will take my offer. Of course if for some reason that is not the case even after the n..th driver has refused my offer, I always have the option of revising my offer, joining the official taxi queue or in the worst case scenario, hop on to the airport train. I have done this successfully in more places than I can recall (Istanbul, KL, Delhi etc), but of course there are places that I would not try anything like that (e.g. Tokyo, Singapore etc) but in those places taxi drivers are honest and the rip-off risk is low.

I will make it very simple, my 1st time to BKK 1/18 I too thought like you. The driver said 500 I countered 350 he turned on the meter. Turns out it was pouring cats and dogs and traffic was inching along at times. 1 of 2 things will happen when you counter the drivers offer 1- he turns on the meter or 2 tells you to exit the cab. If they cant rip you off (as others have said its a couple of bucks) hes not going to lower his off meter rate for sure

If you try doing this within the city make sure you arent leaning on the cab since once you decline the rip-off rate hes getting out of there, unlike the airport where most likely they will use the meter
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Clearly the poster has never dealt with drivers who would rather not work than take a lower fare
So since s/he clearly knows more than all or us who have experience why bother to interfere with this fantasy with our reality?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Regarding the Uber/Grab switch. I've downloaded Grab app on my phone. Entered my US number. Got confirmation code, etc.
Now I'm trying to enter my CC info but I get error "Sorry, our server reported an error (Not supported country=SA for stripe). Please try again later."
I can't even put the CC number in. Does it mean that I can't use Grab with my US number in SE Asia? I'll be going there in 3 weeks and it would sucks if I would have to take taxis everywhere.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Regarding the Uber/Grab switch. I've downloaded Grab app on my phone. Entered my US number. Got confirmation code, etc.
Now I'm trying to enter my CC info but I get error "Sorry, our server reported an error (Not supported country=SA for stripe). Please try again later."
I can't even put the CC number in. Does it mean that I can't use Grab with my US number in SE Asia? I'll be going there in 3 weeks and it would sucks if I would have to take taxis everywhere.
I've had problems entered my US CC number onto SE Asia SIM card equipped phones getting errored out multiple times before it was finally accepted.

My suggestion is to go into airplane mode and use wifi, see what happens. You might need to try a few times.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Tried with airplane mode. Same error. I don't want to get SE Asia SIM cards. I want to use my US number.
I'll try to add my CC when I get home at the end of the week. If it doesn't work I'll stick to taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.