Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by yosithezet

My guess is that this is the problem. Since there is no Grab in KSA they are not letting you set up a credit card while in KSA.

I am befuddled by the transition to Grab, and most things app-related. So I add my experience to the pot simply for information. I had the (Indonesian native) app on my phone, but I'd never used it. The laptop version allowed me to add my UK credit card before leaving for Malaysia, where everything is working fine.

Well, working well enough. I miss Uber: Grab seems much clunkier.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I am befuddled by the transition to Grab, and most things app-related. So I add my experience to the pot simply for information. I had the (Indonesian native) app on my phone, but I'd never used it. The laptop version allowed me to add my UK credit card before leaving for Malaysia, where everything is working fine.

Well, working well enough. I miss Uber: Grab seems much clunkier.
Yesterday I tried to pin pickup location on the map since the app pins the apt location on the undesired cross street; after multiple times of having the location shifted 2 blocks away I chose not to use Grab.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yesterday I tried to pin pickup location on the map since the app pins the apt location on the undesired cross street; after multiple times of having the location shifted 2 blocks away I chose not to use Grab.
A change of heart after a Grab driver tracked me down to return something I'd left in his car. I'm sure he was probably a refugee from Uber : but, still, I now get a nice rosy glow when I think of Grab.

See how easily we are won over ?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A change of heart after a Grab driver tracked me down to return something I'd left in his car. I'm sure he was probably a refugee from Uber : but, still, I now get a nice rosy glow when I think of Grab.

See how easily we are won over ?
While I haven't left anything in a car so far (that I'm aware of) it's eerie how the really good drivers tend to specify they are PM Uber exiles.

An article a few days ago (can't find a link at the moment) mentioned a change in the app whereby Grab drivers would no longer see the destination AND the company would be auto-accepting rides for drivers wihtout waiting for their consent ... .in the Philipines. I do hope this makes it's way into mainland SE Asia quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An article a few days ago (can't find a link at the moment) mentioned a change in the app whereby Grab drivers would no longer see the destination AND the company would be auto-accepting rides for drivers wihtout waiting for their consent ... .in the Philipines. I do hope this makes it's way into mainland SE Asia quickly.

A Grabber explained they get penalised in terms of the priority they earn in getting ride offers, if they reject too many. I'm currently doing short hops in the crowded centre of KL that I would certainly reject for the MYR5 the driver gets - and that's MYR5 before Grab deducts its fees.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
A Grabber explained they get penalised in terms of the priority they earn in getting ride offers, if they reject too many. I'm currently doing short hops in the crowded centre of KL that I would certainly reject for the MYR5 the driver gets - and that's MYR5 before Grab deducts its fees.
That may not always be the case. A Thai friend and I were in a Grab car last week and the driver mentioned to my friend (in Thai) that he hadn't seen many promos lately from the customers, to which my friend replied that Grab wasn't offering any.

The driver said that Grab was paying the drivers more than the fare the customer saw and that during the Songkran festival, Grab offered any driver willing to drive during the holiday a minimum of 120 thb per ride. (I could go across the entire city of Chiang Mai for less than 80 thb in your average Grab.)

If what the driver said was accurate, it seems that Grab - at least in the initial stages of consolidating the Uber business - may be trying to incentivize/attract drivers to their business with bonus pay.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That may not always be the case. A Thai friend and I were in a Grab car last week and the driver mentioned to my friend (in Thai) that he hadn't seen many promos lately from the customers, to which my friend replied that Grab wasn't offering any.

The driver said that Grab was paying the drivers more than the fare the customer saw and that during the Songkran festival, Grab offered any driver willing to drive during the holiday a minimum of 120 thb per ride. (I could go across the entire city of Chiang Mai for less than 80 thb in your average Grab.)

If what the driver said was accurate, it seems that Grab - at least in the initial stages of consolidating the Uber business - may be trying to incentivize/attract drivers to their business with bonus pay.
I've heard from Uber turned Grab drivers they preferred to work under the Uber banner so this might be an attempt by Grab to mollify drivers in the meantime. It also wouldn't surprise me to know they are actively recruiting drivers while actively recruiting riders.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

After Uber is gone from Thailand the taxis are getting worst. I am so pissed with them. Grab taxi is also always more expensive than regular taxi. I've used it only twice in Bangkok.
First time from hotel by BKK to Hilton, 468 Bahts + 150 in tolls, second time from Bang Kapi to Marriott Marquis 200 Bahts (the reverse in regular taxi was 120 Bahts) + I wanted to add quick stop in the middle of my trip, but in Grab app you can't do that. The driver said that he can take us to the hotel then go to our planned stop. Which would add additional 45 minutes to our ride. I've told him that I will pay him 150 Bahts in cash to do the detour. He had no problem with that.

Regular taxis - Long trip, they don't want to go. Short trip, not worth it for them. Medium distance, too much traffic. I was so pissed off. Are they taxi drivers or King's personal drivers? I was trying to go from the park behind Don Mueang airport back to Hilton Millennium. Five taxis said NO. Had to take one to DMK airport and then from the departures level take one that would take me to the hotel. Also around 3 taxis refused to go to the city.

Last Saturday after arriving at BKK from SIN, trying to go to Sukhumvit 22. Waited in the taxi queue downstairs for about 10 minutes, got to the taxi. As soon as we hit the highway, the meter was going crazy. I've asked the driver if he's meter is ok, all of a sudden, the meter started working properly.

Week ago got taxi from Millennium to BKK. Half way the trip I've realized that his Royal Thai Army hat is covering the meter. At the airport I've asked him about it, he's answer was that he "forgot" to turn it on. He quoted me 400 Bahts + ~100 in tolls. Bunch of crooks!

I miss Uber in SE Asia a lot. I've used Grab also in Singapore. The price was the same as regular taxi. But in Bangkok you pay for Grab premium (don't know why).
Old May 3, 2018, 7:38 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
After 9PM i rarely (if ever) take the tollway and the distance on regular roads is negligibly different (and perhaps even less) than the highway depending upon destination. Time is likely minimal to non-existent as well. Of all the aspects that strike me as implausible in this tale this isn't one.
I'm really disliking GRAB as it never seems to offer reasonable rates. I usually get in after 9pm, and that's when a regular taxi is under THB200 from BKK to my apartment via On Nut, surface streets so no tolls. GRAB has been quoting me THB399 either direction. UBER used to be 325THB. Oh course, I can take the BTS and Air Rail Link for 90THB total when there's little or no luggage, no rush or heavy traffic since my complex has free shuttles to both On Nut and Phra Khonong BTS stations.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Prices set to rise

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...for-more-bags/
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting that they want extra charges for bags - since I almost NEVER had a taxi driver offer to load bags

Also last week I noticed lots of police on departure level and NO one picking up passengers and barriers to exit that level now make it impossible to go out to taxi road
Now that uber was "grabbed up" by Grab fares on that platform are uniformly higher!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Ah yes, gotta love how the title is not supported by the text; set means finalized, 'will demand' means not even requested yet.

Anyway, who wants to play the 'your backpack and duty free bag held by you within the car count as bags' game upon arrival at the hotel? This is yet another scam that will unfold poorly.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While it's rarely an issue for me, I've seen plenty of tourists who had to climb in with their bag on their lap because a good chunk of the trunk is taken up by the propane tank.

Of all the reasons/excuses to jack service fees, baggage seems like a real stretch.

Just admit that it's inflation and be done with it.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I will be in Bangkok again in about two weeks and the hotel (St. Regis) asked me if I'd like to book their hotel car.
Definitely not, I thought, looking for the Uber Black rate... only to realize Uber is gone.

What's the best way of getting from BKK to the St. Regis in a convenient way (at least one large suitcase) after midnight?
Given it'll be in the middle of the night, I don't think I'll feel like searching for an ATM, standing in line for a dirty taxi etc.
Grab doesn't seem to have an equivalent to Uber Black.

MyDriver/Blacklane offer rides for about 80 USD.
I guess the AOT Isuzu is the way to go? If I prebook online, will they be waiting for me with a sign? The car will be safe and clean?

I absolutely hate having to do research like this before arrival, Uber was such a perfect solution for somebody who travels a lot internationally...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
AOT safe, clean, reliable. Book in the arrivals hall while waiting for your bags.
LIH Prem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.