Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

IFE switched off before landing & Headsets recvorered

Old Jan 10, 20, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

TG410 last night, SIN-BKK on A350 , in J, IFE was switched off 20 minutes before landing & the Headsets were collected by FAís.
New one on me & very annoying, since I didnít get to see the end of my Movie, is this a new policy ?

Reason given in an announcement that it was for security reasons.
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:26 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
TG410 last night, SIN-BKK on A350 , in J, IFE was switched off 20 minutes before landing & the Headsets were collected by FAís.
New one on me & very annoying, since I didnít get to see the end of my Movie, is this a new policy ?

Well, I call BS on their explanation!!

Mind you, I always use my own headphones....
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
I've had the exact same thing happen before, but not sure if it was on Thai or not.
It was annoying, yes, although apparently not enough for me to remember which airline!
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Well, I call BS on their explanation!!

Mind you, I always use my own headphones....
Yes, no shortage of BS on the flight, usual one about it not being possible to serve PDB in alcoholic form ex SIN & then the headsets, I presume some pax have been taking them home...... however itís very irritating to have the IFE switched off so prematurely
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:45 am

I'll suffer the same absence of pre-departure drinks in April - but I need to burn my TG miles, so BKK-SIN-BKK on TG it has to be...

For those not familiar, TG will not serve pre-departure alcoholic drinks in the aircraft at Singapore because they refuse to pay the Singapore authorities for a liquor licence to legally do this... just penny pinching.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 11, 20 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I once asked a friend of mine who has a senior role at an airline if the FA training courses specifically include a segment on how to lie to passengers, it happens so often. He smiled. One of my favourites is excusing a delayed departure on "the late arrival of the in-bound aircraft" when the actual arrival time is plain for anyone who uses an App like Flightradar24 to see
Thai-Kiwi, chris63 and andyptrav like this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:51 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
I once asked a friend of mine who has a senior role at an airline if the FA training courses specifically include a segment on how to lie to passengers, it happens so often. He smiled. One of my favourites is excusing a delayed departure on "the late arrival of the in-bound aircraft" when the actual arrival time is plain for anyone who uses an App like Flightradar24 to see
A common "reason" for delayed departure of BKK-DEL flight on a Sunday evening is late arrival of connecting flights, when the real reason to the regular passengers is the late arrival of the Indian shoppers and accompanying 20 kg of hand luggage.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:29 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post

Switched off the IFE 20 min. before landing is new to me. But for Headsets, I heard that their is a shortage of headsets now because a lot of passengers bring it home. So, they may implement this new policy.
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by joy16 View Post
Switched off the IFE 20 min. before landing is new to me. But for Headsets, I heard that their is a shortage of headsets now because a lot of passengers bring it home. So, they may implement this new policy.
In J there are 2 kinds of headsets. The 789/77W (and probably the 380 and 788) have the AKG headphones, whereas the 773/773/330 have the cheaper looking ones.

I assume that it is the AKG headphones that are being stolen by passengers.... Such a pity the actions of a few ruin things for the many.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
In J there are 2 kinds of headsets. The 789/77W (and probably the 380 and 788) have the AKG headphones, whereas the 773/773/330 have the cheaper looking ones.

I assume that it is the AKG headphones that are being stolen by passengers.... Such a pity the actions of a few ruin things for the many.
It was AKG headphones on the A350, I thought it had to be because of theft, shame on those people indeed but the result is another example of TG not providing a premium service in J , they ought to come up with another plan other than curtailing service & impacting their customers
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joy16 View Post
I suppose they would have had arguments from pax, who like me were still watching a movie, if they collected them before the IFE was turned off.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Two words: closed captioning (or subtitles).
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Those are 2 different things.
But from my experience that only works if it is a language foreign to the airline's country, and anyways some movies are only good with the sound (even if you don't understand the words, like action movies).
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Wouldnít work unless they were already selected & the Ďsafety issue Ď would then be IFE sound......
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
From a pure safety perspective i totally agree with airlines switching off IFE for critical phases of flight, and collecting headsets before landing. Not being able to hear critical safety announcements is a major concern. If an emergency occurs during landing it may not be possible to make an announcement over the tannoy and therefore cut into people glued to IFE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: