Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

IFE switched off before landing & Headsets recvorered

IFE switched off before landing & Headsets recvorered

Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you can't hear 'brace brace' it affects your safety.
Since all announcements override the IFE I’m hardly likely to miss “brace brace “
andyptrav likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by chris63
Since all announcements override the IFE I’m hardly likely to miss “brace brace “
No. You missed the critical points of my earlier posts.

Cabin crew announcements only override IFE if made via the tannoy.

An instant ‘brace brace’ in an unplanned emergency, perhaps shouted a few seconds before impact, would almost certainly not be made via tannoy.

Crew do not have the time to realise the emergency, reach behind them to locate the phone, press the required button to override any other communication(s), and make the announcement. By then the impact has occurred.

Seconds count. Being engrossed in your IFE can take away those seconds.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No. You missed the critical points of my earlier posts.

Cabin crew announcements only override IFE if made via the tannoy.

An instant ‘brace brace’ in an unplanned emergency, perhaps shouted a few seconds before impact, would almost certainly not be made via tannoy.

Crew do not have the time to realise the emergency, reach behind them to locate the phone, press the required button to override any other communication(s), and make the announcement. By then the impact has occurred.

Seconds count. Being engrossed in your IFE can take away those seconds.
No, I didn’t miss your points just don’t agree with you
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
No, I didn’t miss your points just don’t agree with you
Emergency commands not issued over the tannoy don't override IFE. What's not to agree with?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Emergency commands not issued over the tannoy don't override IFE. What's not to agree with?
We have entirely different ideas about how a frequent traveller is able / capable of understanding what is happening on an aircraft but if you really think IFE is so dangerous on an aircraft, what are you doing about that, as a responsible adult ?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This gets endless.....and so regulators ultimately decide where the line should be drawn between best possible preparedness for an emergency, and an acceptable level determined by consideration of likelihood/consequence, and probably cost and likely compliance rate.

The logical extension of this discussion on restricting IFE near landing, is that pax should eliminate anything that impairs their response to an emergency:

- not consume alcohol on board, or prior to a flight,
- ensure they are well rested,
- ensure they are physically fit,
- ensure they can understand and comply with instructions (due language, hearing etc),
- regularly actually practise emergency egress drills.......

Although any of these could become a necessary requirement to improve safety outcomes , especially in the ‘no-warning instant emergency’ situation suggested, none have been adopted (other than no alcohol, for religious/cultural motivations, not safety).

As I said earlier, it is essentially a risk management matter with government regulators deciding the minimum standards to provide an acceptable level of risk - and this is the point that can be argued endlessly in any area of regulation.

For driving we have: road speed limits, driving age, alcohol levels, road condition and design, car design and performance ....

For aviation, some airlines apply additional ‘safety’ requirements - for reasons that may or make not stack up
chris63 and andyptrav like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:16 am

But it DOES have safety implications So actually a good thing. What do you want? 10 mins more of your movie and be dead?
Can you explain how that would happen? You mean, if a missile were launched and about to hit your plane the fact you don't have headphones would save you (I cannot think of any recent scenarios where "you would be dead")?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

The logical extension of this discussion on restricting IFE near landing, is that pax should eliminate anything that impairs their response to an emergency:
We already have a host of other practices which would then fall into the same category as IFE but no one questions those... window shades up, cabin lights dimmed, must seat a child next to a parent/guardian (which saves the parent looking for the child in the event of an emergency evacuation).

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you explain how that would happen? You mean, if a missile were launched and about to hit your plane the fact you don't have headphones would save you (I cannot think of any recent scenarios where "you would be dead")?
It wouldn't. But then of course neither would having your seat-belt fastened or your seat back upright

One of the airbus safety documents recommends crew pay attention to the final stages of the flight to be aware for anything unusual that might indicate a problem with landing. A flight attendant on the Asiana flight into SFO, Ms Lee, said she knew, seconds before impact, that something was wrong with the plane.

Had she had another second or two who knows, she might have issued a brace command. If pax are watching IFE they may not even hear it, or wouldn't be able to react as quickly as someone not distracted.

It was common practice many years ago that everyone stopped watching IFE during critical phases of flight (it wasn't even available prior to takeoff). Many airlines still have that policy, or will ask pax to remove their headphones.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:30 am

One of the airbus safety documents recommends crew pay attention to the final stages of the flight to be aware for anything unusual that might indicate a problem with landing. A flight attendant on the Asiana flight into SFO, Ms Lee, said she knew, seconds before impact, that something was wrong with the plane.
That's just bogus. How did she know? She has supernatural powers?
She is just saying that after the fact. Most people have faulty memories and think they know things they never did know. I'm sure someone else can jump in with a name for that phenomenon.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She is just saying that after the fact. Most people have faulty memories and think they know things they never did know. I'm sure someone else can jump in with a name for that phenomenon.
Psychic FA, valuable commodity, I hope She got a promotion
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
For aviation, some airlines apply additional ‘safety’ requirements - for reasons that may or make not stack up
Excellent post & this bit hits the nail on the head
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is backed up by Airbus' safety manuals which explicitly acknowledge and recommend cabin crew be aware in the critical stages of flight for anything unusual which may affect safety or lead to an emergency. This includes unusual aircraft movements.

While that would be best practice, I appreciate not all crew are that diligent. IATA published similar advice, see the final paragraph on page 126 here: https://skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/3996.pdf

If a cabin crew emergency instruction doesn't override IFE, is watching the end of your movie more important?

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 18, 2020 at 3:46 am Reason: include reference
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by andyptrav
TG910 into LHR this morning and the IFE was turned off supposedly 20 minutes from landing but since we were stacked as usual for 20 minutes this meant no IFE for 40 minutes. My headset was not collected but I was in F.
I like to watch the flight tracker and then the on-board tail camera for landing so I don't need the sound anyway. Collect the headsets to prevent theft and/or for safety but there is no reason to stop PAX doing what I wanted to do or, say, playing games.
All this debate is ignoring my earlier post above.
It is not 10 minutes, it will be 20 minutes and coming into LHR it will nearly always be 40 minutes.
Turn off the sound and/or collect the headsets but why turn off the screen? Are they going to ban reading as well?

In any event on a wide body aircraft the vast majority of passengers will not hear any flight crew in their jump seats calling "Brace, brace" unless the tannoy is used, cabin crew are behind a bulkhead and I would think only passengers in a few rows near the jump seats would hear it. Furthermore I would imagine that the instances of flight crew calling brace in the absence of flight deck crew having already done so on the tannoy is so rare as to be discounted.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Turning off the IFE has nothing to do with safety. As other OPs have said it's got to do with the headphones. It's understandable they may collect it from EC as so many people but in business and first they can see what is going on what the FAs are doing.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:03 pm

This is backed up by Airbus' safety manuals which explicitly acknowledge and recommend cabin crew be aware in the critical stages of flight for anything unusual which may affect safety or lead to an emergency. This includes unusual aircraft movements.

While that would be best practice, I appreciate not all crew are that diligent. IATA published similar advice, see the final paragraph on page 126 here: https://skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/3996.pdf

If a cabin crew emergency instruction doesn't override IFE, is watching the end of your movie more important?
Did you ask her if she also "knew" there was something wrong on other flights? Because I bet she "did", thus meaning her "sense" is like flipping a coin.
So the crew should be aware. And the passengers too? As far as I know, Thai can pause video for PA announcements (cause every single airline does this). Is this not a way of getting someone's attention?
And if you are so sure passengers cannot have headphones on, are you saying they should take them away from people who brought their own? Wake up sleeping people?
chris63 and andyptrav like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.