Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

IFE switched off before landing & Headsets recvorered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE switched off before landing & Headsets recvorered

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
From a pure safety perspective i totally agree with airlines switching off IFE for critical phases of flight, and collecting headsets before landing. Not being able to hear critical safety announcements is a major concern. If an emergency occurs during landing it may not be possible to make an announcement over the tannoy and therefore cut into people glued to IFE.
In principle, and with a background and in aviation safety, I agree entirely.

But reality is a different thing. Even enforcing IFE and headsets collection, I suggest that many pax, maybe the majority, would be impaired in their response to a serious event such as an emergency evacuation or worse. Tiredness, circadian rhythm upset, under the influence of alcohol all contribute to reduced human performance under stress. In these situations, the continued presence of IFE might not be that significant.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In principle, and with a background and in aviation safety, I agree entirely.

But reality is a different thing. Even enforcing IFE and headsets collection, I suggest that many pax, maybe the majority, would be impaired in their response to a serious event such as an emergency evacuation or worse. Tiredness, circadian rhythm upset, under the influence of alcohol all contribute to reduced human performance under stress. In these situations, the continued presence of IFE might not be that significant.
Agree. But we are also considering short haul flights here... a BKK-SIN is unlikely to have the majority of pax tired with their circadian rhythms upset And probably not drunk given the physical limits of being able to serve everyone in such a short time in the main cabin.

Even if we accept long haul flights as you describe, having IFE stowed potentially means one less thing that could hinder a fast response.

Nor do I particularly want 300 pairs of headsets and cords in the aisle during an evacuation

Pax may have their own headsets/earbuds - but i think the airline should also require those to be removed.

We dim the lights to save a second of two while pax acclimatise to the prevailing conditions, but don't apply the same logic to people being hearing and situation impaired.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree. But we are also considering short haul flights here... a BKK-SIN is unlikely to have the majority of pax tired with their circadian rhythms upset And probably not drunk given the physical limits of being able to serve everyone in such a short time in the main cabin.

(... more good points...)
Yes, yes, and yes .

And, in a nod to @chris63, with no alcoholic pre-departure drinks ex-SIN the situation is marginally improved for emergency egress
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
From a pure safety perspective i totally agree with airlines switching off IFE for critical phases of flight, and collecting headsets before landing. Not being able to hear critical safety announcements is a major concern. If an emergency occurs during landing it may not be possible to make an announcement over the tannoy and therefore cut into people glued to IFE.
That is a good point, however you do hear all announcements ad nauseam from a Thai, while using their headphones & surely they could switch if off fast if there becomes a problem.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

And, in a nod to @chris63, with no alcoholic pre-departure drinks ex-SIN the situation is marginally improved for emergency egress
Heavens no, I’m sure I could go down a slide much faster if I was oiled.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
That is a good point, however you do hear all announcements ad nauseam from a Thai, while using their headphones & surely they could switch if off fast if there becomes a problem.
Fine if you have a planned emergency - switch it off and prepare the cabin for landing.

But if you have an Asiana at SFO type incident, or say an engine fire during take-off roll... cabin crew may detect an immediate emergency and for example issue the 'brace brace' command.

They don't have time to reach behind them for the intercom phone, select the right button for a general broadcast, and then issue the command. And switch off IFE. By then the immediate emergency is all over - impact or sudden stopping has occurred.

Of course not all cabin crew do this... but they are supposed to be looking out for anything unusual during the landing or takeoff phases that could affect safety.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 15, 2020 at 1:28 pm Reason: fixing spelling
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: TG Plat
TG910 into LHR this morning and the IFE was turned off supposedly 20 minutes from landing but since we were stacked as usual for 20 minutes this meant no IFE for 40 minutes. My headset was not collected but I was in F.
I like to watch the flight tracker and then the on-board tail camera for landing so I don't need the sound anyway. Collect the headsets to prevent theft and/or for safety but there is no reason to stop PAX doing what I wanted to do or, say, playing games.
chris63 and narvik like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fine if you have a planned emergency - switch it off and prepare the cabin for landing.

But if you have an Asiana at SFO type incident, or say an engine fire during take-off roll... cabin crew may detect an immediate emergency and for example issue the 'brace brace' command.

They don't have time to reach behind them for the intercom phone, select the right button for all a general broadcast, and then issue the command. And switch off IFE. By then the immediate emergency is all over - impact or sudden stopping has occurred.

Of course not all cabin crew do this... but they are supposed to be looking out for anything unusual during the landing or takeoff phases that could affect safety.
Again, your making serious & valid points but this is TG & I reckon it’s only about them losing AKG headsets to pax
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyptrav
TG910 into LHR this morning and the IFE was turned off supposedly 20 minutes from landing but since we were stacked as usual for 20 minutes this meant no IFE for 40 minutes. My headset was not collected but I was in F.
I like to watch the flight tracker and then the on-board tail camera for landing so I don't need the sound anyway. Collect the headsets to prevent theft and/or for safety but there is no reason to stop PAX doing what I wanted to do or, say, playing games.
TG just lost the plot again, in premium cabins, you could watch a movie or use IFE entirely until you got to the gate before
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:33 pm

FAs collecting headphones and menus early before landing. Had that experience a couple of times on TG in C. One of the reasons, why I avoid TG on longhaul since Q3 last year. TG is obviously an airline for TG's employees, not for their paying passengers.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thbe
FAs collecting headphones and menus early before landing. Had that experience a couple of times on TG in C. One of the reasons, why I avoid TG on longhaul since Q3 last year. TG is obviously an airline for TG's employees, not for their paying passengers.
Yes, I have had them collecting Menus & asking for headsets but turning off the IFE & stating it’s for safety reasons is a new low point in their ‘premium’ service, I need to fly to & from BKK-SIN & sadly for me the last flight of the day SIN-BKK is on TG.....
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it DOES have safety implications So actually a good thing. What do you want? 10 mins more of your movie and be dead?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But it DOES have safety implications So actually a good thing. What do you want? 10 mins more of your movie and be dead?
I don’t agree that it would affect my ability to react to safety issues & other airlines seem quite content to leave the IFE on for the entire flight, up to the gate

TG are suddenly the World leaders in airline safety ?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
I don’t agree that it would affect my ability to react to safety issues & other airlines seem quite content to leave the IFE on for the entire flight, up to the gate

TG are suddenly the World leaders in airline safety ?
If you can't hear 'brace brace' it affects your safety.

What other airlines do is perhaps irrelevant. The 'gold standard' for safety would be pax unencumbered from distractions.

Some airlines remove emergency exits. Some continue to fly over known war zones where other aircraft have been shot down. Some don't carry life-jackets. Others don't dim the lights for critical phases of flight. Or allow window shades to be closed for take-off and landing.

The list goes on.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like most things involving the public, it is fundamentally about risk management and compromise... and regulators ultimately specify the minimum standards for carriage of the public, in concert with organisations like ICAO and (to a lesser degree) IATA.

Some British military transport aircraft had the passenger seats facing rearwards due to the superior survivability in an accident/incident - however, although much safer, the practise was never adopted for commercial aviation. The linked article is a reasonable read of the issues:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...t-seats-safer/
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.