Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Food and Beverage menu in J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
On a recent flight TG636 BKK-TPE in J, menu was as described by BinSabai, Samrab Thai, Western Cuisine or Chinese Cuisine. I asked for the Western choice (Beef Medallion with Mushroom Sauce), but for the first time in years, I was told I could not have my first choice of main course. This prompted me to request another glass of the Veuve Clicquot Brut n.v.
seriously? they run out of your first choice in J? Can not even remember when this happen last time to me; must be years!
but maybe you were lucky as the beef I had yesterday in J was horrible!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:47 am

the cheese course even on a long haul to Europe gets sometimes pretty lousy. Bread and cheese are probably the worst weakness of TG's catering in J class
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:51 am

another rather modest cheese dish in J longhaul. At least the Cambozola was great
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Say cheese :)

I remember a time not so long ago (perhaps 1.5 - 3 years ago) when TG actually served the cheese & fruit as a separate course usually on a trolley on the regional flights, like MNL & TPE.

Will post an update after next week's flights.

And don't get me started on TG's SPML - I always order the low sodium SPML's - 85% it is boiled chicken breast w/ yellow/saffron rice, 15% it is boiled salmon w/ boiled potatoes & boiled spinach. I've since learnt to check w/ the crew when they come by to confirm my SPML what's being served & if it's chicken one too many times, I'd politely request from the main meal (usually the beef w/ potatoes or a fish option) if there's extra & it's never been a problem.

For me, the real weakness of TG is the SPML options & variety. I wish they'd switch it up a little sometimes. Quite the opposite, my Mom loves the Thai samrab meals, which is what she'll always order every year to Sapporo CTS. I think she mentioned that she likes it because it is salty & seasoned very well ^

OCT 2017

APR 2017
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:29 pm

guess first photo is from a short haul flight, where all "courses" are served on one tray. In the past this was done just for very short flights of up to two Hours like BKK SIN, BKK KUL but has now been extended to flights up to 3-3.5 hours
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:00 am

This was the cheese "course" on a flight fra AKL to BKK last week.
I flew 4 sectors on TG in business from HKG to AKL and back and found the food generally very good. But the most disappointing thing for me was that they ran out of Thai choices on the two longest flights before they took my order. I was in row 15 which is the third row, but orders were taken by the person serving your part of the cabin, and in both cases although orders were taken elsewhere in the cabin before take-off, mine were taken after take-off. I have no FF status with Thai, but have Diamond with SAS (Star Alliance). As TG prides itself on Thainess, I thought it strange that they didn't load more Thai meals. But as I wrote, the Western alternatives were good.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vardomannen
I flew 4 sectors on TG in business from HKG to AKL and back and found the food generally very good. But the most disappointing thing for me was that they ran out of Thai choices on the two longest flights before they took my order. I was in row 15 which is the third row, but orders were taken by the person serving your part of the cabin, and in both cases although orders were taken elsewhere in the cabin before take-off, mine were taken after take-off. I have no FF status with Thai, but have Diamond with SAS (Star Alliance). As TG prides itself on Thainess, I thought it strange that they didn't load more Thai meals. But as I wrote, the Western alternatives were good.
I do not eat much Thai Food on TG as you get better and more genuine Thai Food in most of the thousands of restaurants in the Kingdom (except those catering mainly for foreign tourists)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by BinSabai
I do not eat much Thai Food on TG as you get better and more genuine Thai Food in most of the thousands of restaurants in the Kingdom (except those catering mainly for foreign tourists)
That reason can be applied to any type of food served in flights.
In any case, I think that most Thai people would prefer to eat Thai food onboard even though not as high quality as on the ground or as made at home.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by flyerby
That reason can be applied to any type of food served in flights.
In any case, I think that most Thai people would prefer to eat Thai food onboard even though not as high quality as on the ground or as made at home.
it's not about the quality but more about the use of spices!
franck75002 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hey folks,

I have a few Thai flights coming up -- TG461 BKK-MEL (A350), TG676 BKK-NRT (A380). Both are morning (~8am or so) and both are in business class. Any advice on what type of meal service to expect on these routes? I'm trying to decide whether to go with whatever (breakfast) is on the menu or to choose one of the pre-order meals. I'd be grateful for any advice/suggestions you've had based on your flight experiences. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
I have a few Thai flights coming up -- TG461 BKK-MEL (A350), TG676 BKK-NRT (A380). Both are morning (~8am or so) and both are in business class. Any advice on what type of meal service to expect on these routes? I'm trying to decide whether to go with whatever (breakfast) is on the menu or to choose one of the pre-order meals.
Thai tends, like most airlines, to serve yellow blobs of supposedly-egg-derived substance to those who want a hot breakfast. I don't find that very appealing and will pre-order a curry whenever possible on those morning flights out of BKK.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:14 pm

beside the supposedly-egg-derived substance (nice description by Kremmen), TG also serves a Thai breakfast (for example Khao Tom, boiled Rice) which is usually a nice alternative. Or you can choose one of the pre-order meals, which are not breakfasts but normal lunch or dinner dishes (look at TG's website)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Hey folks,

I have a few Thai flights coming up -- TG461 BKK-MEL (A350), TG676 BKK-NRT (A380). Both are morning (~8am or so) and both are in business class. Any advice on what type of meal service to expect on these routes? I'm trying to decide whether to go with whatever (breakfast) is on the menu or to choose one of the pre-order meals. I'd be grateful for any advice/suggestions you've had based on your flight experiences. Thanks!
I would have thought on 461 that if you pre-order a meal it would be served as the dinner. Not sure about currently but there has often been a cold cuts platter available on that flight for breakfast...i.e. meat, salami, cheese...which can be a decent alternative to the standard airline eggs / chicken sausage!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
so... i’m the only one who likes the egg and chicken sausage!!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
so... i’m the only one who likes the egg and chicken sausage!!
The sample size (of FTers) is too small to be statistically significant. ;-) Do you plan to initiate a survey?!

I have been known to eat the egg thing and chicken sausage, but do usually prefer Thai option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.