Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Japan restricts operations of Thai carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan restricts operations of Thai carriers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BinSabai
the last two articles are somehow in contradiction!
IATA confirms compliance and TG says it is improving...
You can go over and above whats required you know.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai aviation faces fresh US, UN scrutiny

Thai aviation, already subject to safety concerns raised by an international watchdog, will come under renewed scrutiny as US and UN-based aviation agencies prepare to mount inspections of aviation licensing...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...us-un-scrutiny
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by BinSabai
the last two articles are somehow in contradiction!
IATA confirms compliance and TG says it is improving...
Not really.
IATA - a trade association representing and serving the airline industry world-wide. i.e. it acts on behalf of member airlines.

ICAO - is a standards organization working with member states and global aviation organizations to develop international standards and recommended practices (SARPs) which states reference when developing their legally-enforceable national civil aviation regulations. i.e. it acts on behalf of member states who govern the airline industry.

Two very different mandates. One group looks out for the airlines, while the other indirectly looks out for the public by setting safety standards that governments use to regulate their respective airline sector, and ICAO then verifies to determine if the standards are complied with.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thailand breaking aviation-safety deal, Japan complains

The Japan Civil Aviation Bureau has reminded Thailand to keep its promise of regular updates on steps being taken to resolve safety problems after the agency postponed sanctions against Thai airlines.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...apan-complains
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai Airways safety log may destroy airline and tourism industry

Imagine the national carrier and other airlines registered in Thailand were no longer allowed to fly to Europe, Japan or North America due to safety concerns. Thai Airways is a member of the Star Alliance. What would it do not only to the reputation of this airline, but to all Star Alliance airlines? It will ruin the reputation of all airlines in Thailand, including an airline with big plans - Bangkok Air.

eTurboNews reached out to Thai Airways International for a response, but no comments were received.

eTN has learned consulting company AVCON Worldwide had warned the President of Thai Airways International on September 2013 in regards to evidence collected enough to downgrade the safety record for Star Alliance Airline Thai Airways from CAT1 to CAT 2.

http://www.eturbonews.com/58371/thai...urism-industry
Old May 1, 2015, 3:31 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thai Airways safety log may destroy airline and tourism industry

Imagine the national carrier and other airlines registered in Thailand were no longer allowed to fly to Europe, Japan or North America due to safety concerns. Thai Airways is a member of the Star Alliance. What would it do not only to the reputation of this airline, but to all Star Alliance airlines? It will ruin the reputation of all airlines in Thailand, including an airline with big plans - Bangkok Air.

eTurboNews reached out to Thai Airways International for a response, but no comments were received.

eTN has learned consulting company AVCON Worldwide had warned the President of Thai Airways International on September 2013 in regards to evidence collected enough to downgrade the safety record for Star Alliance Airline Thai Airways from CAT1 to CAT 2.

http://www.eturbonews.com/58371/thai...urism-industry
I was laughed at when I predicted this in early February on this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...l#post24327849

The same conditions saw the demise of Phuket Air, who once they lost their European routes, had nothing else to rely on.

Knowing and having seen too much on aviation particulars in this country, I can't see an easy way out of this mess.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Garuda and Philippine Airlines have come back after being in similar situations, I think. But it will take a lot of work, some re-trenching, admission of fault (not easy, culturally), possibly re-branding.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am sadly amused by all these posters who are unyielding believers that safety is perfect at TG. Given the current mess at TG, be it scheduling, equipment changes, IT, staff demotivation and the like, I wonder why people are so convinced that there is no safety risk whatsoever.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think HDY was closed temporarily this morning as a Lion Air aircraft got stuck in a pothole on the runway. Oops.

Plane stuck in pothole in Hat Yai

A Bangkok-bound Thai Lion Air flight from Hat Yai hit a pothole on the runway at Hat Yai airport in Songkhla on Saturday morning.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ole-in-hat-yai
Old May 2, 2015, 10:57 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I was laughed at when I predicted this in early February on this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...l#post24327849

The same conditions saw the demise of Phuket Air, who once they lost their European routes, had nothing else to rely on.

Knowing and having seen too much on aviation particulars in this country, I can't see an easy way out of this mess.
I've read the article.

The first "risk" has nothing to do with Thai Airways. It's about DCA's issue with Chaba Air which is a defunct Thai airline. Violation? Maybe. But why should AVCON raised this issue to the President of THAI puzzles me.

The second "risk" is also not relevant, so the A340-500's are not kept in air worthy condition. Hello?? The A340-500's have been withdrawn from the fleet and permanently parked since 2012. The maintenance of the fleet poses no risk whatsoever to the the safety of the Thai Airways operations.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by transpac
I think HDY was closed temporarily this morning as a Lion Air aircraft got stuck in a pothole on the runway. Oops.

Plane stuck in pothole in Hat Yai

A Bangkok-bound Thai Lion Air flight from Hat Yai hit a pothole on the runway at Hat Yai airport in Songkhla on Saturday morning.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ole-in-hat-yai
Actually, this pothole was occurred when lion air taxied overshot from the runway into a soft pavement that constuct for stop the plane in case of emergency.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
I think it was a poor choice of words used by this reporter. Or perhaps their intention is to mislead readers to think that some potholes are left on the runway due to poor airport maintenance while their picture said otherwise. This soft pavement actually is the same type as that stopped QF 1 at DMK in 1999.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai Lion Air just started a lot service at HDY at the end of March so maybe the pilots are just finding their way around the airport? All's well that ends well.

Thai Lion Air plane skids off runway in Hat Yai

May 2, 2015 1:35 pm

Thai Lion Air's Flight SL 8531 from Hat Yai international airport to Don Muang airport was aborted after the plane skidded off and blocked the runway.
The plane was taxing on the runway before taking off with about 100 passengers Saturday morning.

One of its wheels was reported to run on soft soil after it skidded off while taxiing on the runway.

About 100 passengers aboard the flight were all safe and later evacuated.

As the plane was blocking the airport’s only runway, all flights were delayed by over an hour to allow airport workers to tow the plane from the runway and clear safe passage.

Hat Yai airport director Jessada Phetmetyai said today that the plane’s wheels were stuck on the soft soil off the runway, thus making it unable to take off.

All passengers were then evacuated to make the plane lighter for towing off the subsided ground.

The process took about an hour, he said.

The incident has crippled all takeoffs as the airport has only one runway for takeoff, he said.

The flight was scheduled to depart Hat Yai at 10.05 am and arrive at Don Muang airport at 11.45 am.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tha...way-in-hat-yai
Old May 3, 2015, 5:07 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by spk
I've read the article.

The first "risk" has nothing to do with Thai Airways. It's about DCA's issue with Chaba Air which is a defunct Thai airline. Violation? Maybe. But why should AVCON raised this issue to the President of THAI puzzles me.

The second "risk" is also not relevant, so the A340-500's are not kept in air worthy condition. Hello?? The A340-500's have been withdrawn from the fleet and permanently parked since 2012. The maintenance of the fleet poses no risk whatsoever to the the safety of the Thai Airways operations.
The gist of the article is that TG allegedly falsified hundreds of log entries, putting the integrity of the entire fleet at risk. I'd expect the integrity of all their records, including maintenance, crew training, and those of any certifying bodies would be equally suspect.

If you think this article isn't about Thai airways having integrity problems then maybe we read different articles.

Code:
Secondly AVCON's engineer complied missing log files, missing component tags, mismatches of serial numbers in the records and actual serial numbers of components installed in HS-TLD.

The list contained over 200 items of such cases and was growing untill the date AVCON stopped working because HS-TLD's C4 check was stopped at 80% completion and parked outside hanger.

The letter stated AVCON can't imagine the true level of such cases on 3 other A340-SOO's as well as the entire THAI fleet. A huge safety issue could be the result.
Missing or falsified records is taken seriously in aviation. I'd guess that TG doesn't want anyone looking at their dirty laundry. My feari is that it may be too late.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:31 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
The gist of the article is that TG allegedly falsified hundreds of log entries, putting the integrity of the entire fleet at risk. I'd expect the integrity of all their records, including maintenance, crew training, and those of any certifying bodies would be equally suspect.

If you think this article isn't about Thai airways having integrity problems then maybe we read different articles.

Code:
Secondly AVCON's engineer complied missing log files, missing component tags, mismatches of serial numbers in the records and actual serial numbers of components installed in HS-TLD.

The list contained over 200 items of such cases and was growing untill the date AVCON stopped working because HS-TLD's C4 check was stopped at 80% completion and parked outside hanger.

The letter stated AVCON can't imagine the true level of such cases on 3 other A340-SOO's as well as the entire THAI fleet. A huge safety issue could be the result.
Missing or falsified records is taken seriously in aviation. I'd guess that TG doesn't want anyone looking at their dirty laundry. My feari is that it may be too late.
There is nothing about "falsifying" documents (where in article?). There was alleged poor record keeping of one single decommissioned A340-500 aircraft HS-TLD, which is not being operated at all. Actually the discrepancy was probably because it was still under an uncomplete C-check where components were being removed and reinstalled.

Please also note that AVCON may be biased. They were in the deal to buy A340-500 from THAI (at dirt cheap price) for a Royal family in Middle East, but THAI's board scrapped the deal at the last minute. This probably did not make AVCON very happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.