Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm flying DOH-BKK with Qatar and then (probably)Thai Smile to CNX in September. Am I right in saying I'll have to collect my checked baggage, go through immigration to landside and then back through departures? Or will they likely allow connections by then?
Old May 24, 2022, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by irish_goat
I'm flying DOH-BKK with Qatar and then (probably)Thai Smile to CNX in September. Am I right in saying I'll have to collect my checked baggage, go through immigration to landside and then back through departures? Or will they likely allow connections by then?
Mist likely yes unless they re-introduce custom/immigration at CNX. Even then, not certain if QR will interline to WE. Will you book this on one ticket? If not, then chances diminish.

All said, I haven’t been back to Thailand since late 2019…
Old May 24, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Mist likely yes unless they re-introduce custom/immigration at CNX. Even then, not certain if QR will interline to WE. Will you book this on one ticket? If not, then chances diminish.

All said, I haven’t been back to Thailand since late 2019…
Cheers. QR seem to add a hefty premium onto the flights if we book it on one ticket. I'll keep an eye on the situation and see if things change closer to the time sure.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:14 am

I’m flying Thai Airways domestically from BKK to CNX on September 33 at 13:35. I arrive from Singapore at 8:35 on a separate ticket and I figure clearing immigration and collecting by 2 bags will take, at most, an hour. I plan on checking 2 bags at 23 kilos apiece an carry on a proper sized bag at close to 7 kilos and a smack back pack. From what I understand, you can’t pay for excess kilos online for domestic flights. I receive 20 kilos as part of my “W” ticket. Excess kilos, according to the Thai website, are charged BKK to CNX 60 baht per kilo. Needing 26 extra kilos, that should be 1,560 baht. That’s fine with me. If I’m wrong, and it’s a lot more, I’d consider taking 1 of my checked luggage, take the public transportation to the train station, and ship it (heavier because I took enough things out of 2nd checked bag to get it to 20 kilos).
Can anyone say with certainty what I should be charged but Thai Airways? Two hours to and from train station still gives me 2 hours to catch flight. Obviously, if my flight from Singapore is late, I’ll be checking 2 bags regardless of the cost.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WE is the operating carrier BKK-CNX, and so WE’s rules usually apply. I’m not sure if there could be any differences, so before you purchase the TG code-share do check carefully the baggage rules.
Dean1953 and BinSabai like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:46 pm

I apologise if this has been asked already, it's quite hard scrolling through all previous replies.
I have two flight bookings. The first was booked on Thai Airways website, and the second was booked on the Thai Smile website.
The first flight is from LHR -> BKK and then BKK -> PNH.
At the check-in desk at LHR, can I get both boardings passes issued and also have my luggage transit to the end destination? Can Thai Airways operators combine the two bookings?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I've tried contacting Thai Airways about this and the customer service for reservations seems non-existent.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbles33
I apologise if this has been asked already, it's quite hard scrolling through all previous replies.
I have two flight bookings. The first was booked on Thai Airways website, and the second was booked on the Thai Smile website.
The first flight is from LHR -> BKK and then BKK -> PNH.
At the check-in desk at LHR, can I get both boardings passes issued and also have my luggage transit to the end destination? Can Thai Airways operators combine the two bookings?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I've tried contacting Thai Airways about this and the customer service for reservations seems non-existent.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and your first post!

You have 2 separate tickets and so are carrying all of the risk if your LHR-BKK (on TG) flight is delayed; there is no obligation on Thai Smile to look after you and adjust flight arrangements for your BKK-PNH flight - as far as Thai Smile (on WE) is concerned you are originating in Bangkok and would just be a no-show at Check-In. Presumably you could have booked this all on one ticket, but found it was cheaper to buy a separate ticket?

That said, THAI staff can be quite accommodating in checking bags through and issuing both boarding passes - but they are under no obligation to do so. Worst case you’ll need to be prepared to collect your bags at BKK, enter Thailand, and then check-in for WE. In this situation you also would need to meet the entry requirements for Thailand (TravelPass, $US 10,000 insurance etc etc). This was much easier pre-pandemic…

So, it can be done - BUT you cannot insist that it be done as an entitlement if an agent is reluctant to do so. Good luck.
BinSabai likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:41 am
kkl

Do we know when TG will release their next set of destinations?
Old May 26, 2022, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
Do we know when TG will release their next set of destinations?
No. I did ask the Auckland, NZ office if/when BKK-AKL would re-start, and was told "no news but there are discussions with Head Office" - but that have just been a guess by the staff concerned.

I think much will depend on forward bookings in the Oct-Feb period.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:31 pm

covid-related policies

The information on the page on TG's website concerning ticket changes/cancellations/refunds is obsolete (as least on their US website). Is there a link to their current policy? In particular, if I buy a BKK-HKG o/w ticket for travel at end of this year, is there free refunds in case of cancellation related to covid?
Old May 30, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My partner has an award booking in J from NRT to BKK, I was trying to update her contact info on Thai's website but it won't let me because the name is locked and it does not have a salutation assigned (Mr,Ms,Dr etc), but it says it's a 'required field' to save her contact information. Curious if anyone has a work around, thanks.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a similar thing with my GUP booking. It shows no frequent flyer information, but I can’t edit to add my TG (or possibly NZ) number.

Have you tried using the app rather than the web? That sometimes yields a result.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
Yeah people had trouble with this when the 60k UA deal was around. Someone called and you don't actually need to update your contact info, but if you want to pick your seat, you should try using the app, which worked for me at least.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Thai Website Problems and Questions

So I wanted to add a wheelchair to 3 airlines for a upcoming trip. Air Canada and Lufthansa replied to emails but Thai was worthless simple sending out a canned auto reply with FAQ and I tried Elliott Advocate corp emails and all were rejected. Finally I called United where I booked and they gave me 800 numbers BUT when calling Thai Airways it goes straight to a recording stating business hours in Pacific Time USA. BUT I was calling within those hours and tried several times 2 days in a row.
Finally on another long call to United the work at home rep found a link to send them a message. Of course I got a stupid reply with a Thai number to call at my expense. I messaged back and threatened to cancel my flight but luckily the Thai office in Germany at the link the United agent found replied and confirmed. So I will never rely on Thai again on long haul flights.

So my question is how strictly are they enforcing masks and how strict are they with medical letters from a doctor and medical records about lung problems and not being able to wear a mask for very long? It is June 1st now so have they lightened up and went to non enforcement like Lufthansa even though the rules are in place?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
How STRICT are Thai Airways enforcing mask wearing?

Recent experiences please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.