Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Have a big breakfast at Terminal D Hyatt
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have a few hours in DFW later this week...is the wifi free?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
I have a few hours in DFW later this week...is the wifi free?
Yup!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...ep-2012-a.html
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm on it now, have to say...very fast! Better than the free wifi I used earlier at GSO. I'd also like to add that I had a very good sandwich from Cousin's and I'm hardly missing the fact that I don't have Admirals Club access ^
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, Aeroplan
Red face DFW Connection

Heya

Sorry if this is the wrong area, I don't really have an idea where to post this.

I'm going back home for the summer on July 3rd and I had an opportunity to fly AAs new 77W so I'm flying LHR-DFW-YYC instead of my usual LHR-YYC on BA. I have a 7 hour connection at DFW and I figure I'll have about 5 hours to spend, so I was wondering what are some stuff I could do? I would really fancy going outside the airport into either Dallas or Forth Worth, I heard there's a train that can take you into downtown from airport. Would like to grab a nice lunch or something. Or would it wiser to stay in DFW - its Terminal D which I heard is the new decent one. I'm Canadian so no issues about Visa. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

EDIT: Some extra details - I will be arriving 13:15 and departing 20:05. Ideally I want to grab some food and also look at couple of shops and/or unique things at Dallas or Ft. Worth. I'm 19 so I don't think I'll be able to rent a car (I do have a Canadian drivers license so I may be able) so it will be TRE or cabs for me!

Last edited by AbuAK; Jun 20, 2013 at 9:01 am Reason: Extra details!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

FT has a great Texas Forum. I am moving your thread to Texas.
Please follow there..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by AbuAK
Heya

Sorry if this is the wrong area, I don't really have an idea where to post this.

I'm going back home for the summer on July 3rd and I had an opportunity to fly AAs new 77W so I'm flying LHR-DFW-YYC instead of my usual LHR-YYC on BA. I have a 7 hour connection at DFW and I figure I'll have about 5 hours to spend, so I was wondering what are some stuff I could do? I would really fancy going outside the airport into either Dallas or Forth Worth, I heard there's a train that can take you into downtown from airport. Would like to grab a nice lunch or something. Or would it wiser to stay in DFW - its Terminal D which I heard is the new decent one. I'm Canadian so no issues about Visa. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
This will get moved or merged into the TX forum, but in the meantime, here's the thread that discusses your question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...me-thread.html

Whether you leave the airport or not, you'll be clearing US customs & immigration.

If you post the time of your arrival & departure, maybe we can make specific recommendations.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:16 am

Layover at DFW

Hi
I have a layover at DFW on July 3rd - my flight arrives at 13:15 and my next flight departs at 20:05 - both from Terminal D. I'm Canadian so I can leave the airport with no visa problems. I was wondering what are some things I could do in Dallas seeing as it gives me around 5 hours once I take Custom/Immigration/Security into consideration. I know theres the TRE and I would be quite interested to going into downtown Dallas, get some nice lunch or something.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
What time of day do you arrive? What are you looking for? Museums? Something unique to the area? Do you want to eat?

Are you on AA51, arriving just after 1pm local time?

That thread is great, but I’m sure some of us would give you some more ideas if you post a few more details.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
What time of day do you arrive? What are you looking for? Museums? Something unique to the area? Do you want to eat?

Are you on AA51, arriving just after 1pm local time?

That thread is great, but I’m sure some of us would give you some more ideas if you post a few more details.
Hi
Sorry for the few details.
I'm arriving on AA51 at 13:15 and I'll be departing at 20:05. I want to go eat and maybe also look at some shops. I'm 19 so I doubt I would be able to rent a car, so it would be either the TRE or cab for me.
And I've also posted on that thread with details, thanks !
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
You might consider Grapevine; it's near enough the airport that you could take a taxi and there are some great places to eat and shopping in the historic downtown area. It's maybe 10-15 minutes away.

Getting to Dallas or Ft Worth would be possible but depending on train schedules (and the TRE doesn't leave straight from the airport; there is a shuttle bus), the getting there may eat up a lot of the time you have available.

Downtown Ft Worth is very nice, especially the Sundance Square area.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by thedoorchick
You might consider Grapevine; it's near enough the airport that you could take a taxi and there are some great places to eat and shopping in the historic downtown area. It's maybe 10-15 minutes away.

Getting to Dallas or Ft Worth would be possible but depending on train schedules (and the TRE doesn't leave straight from the airport; there is a shuttle bus), the getting there may eat up a lot of the time you have available.

Downtown Ft Worth is very nice, especially the Sundance Square area.
Oohh thanks I'll consider Grapevine - what kind of places are good to eat there? Wouldn't mind getting some proper Texas food.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AbuAK
Oohh thanks I'll consider Grapevine - what kind of places are good to eat there? Wouldn't mind getting some proper Texas food.
Love & War in Texas is decent "Texas" food. It's right near the outlet mall.

If you're into wineries and little cafes, downtown Grapevine has many of both.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Welcome to the mass transit desert. As others have said Grapevine would probably be your best bet. Another option would be to take the DART bus to the Orange line and head downtown, but it will be a lot more time consuming.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Welcome to the mass transit desert. As others have said Grapevine would probably be your best bet. Another option would be to take the DART bus to the Orange line and head downtown, but it will be a lot more time consuming.
Thanks!

I'll end up going to Grapevine most likely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.